PDA

View Full Version : 23 KAWI smokes like hell...

nobagger
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Our 07 Gravely came with a 23hp Kawi and almost every time I start it it fills the trailer with smoke, with the choke on or off. The dealer said this is normal due to the muffler being at the bottom of the motor. He said the un-burnt fuel gather's there and when I start it back up it blows it out:confused: Ive tried shutting it off at 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle and a barley running throttle and nothing makes a difference. Any one else have this same problem? I checked the oil and it is where it should be so it doesn't seem to be burning oil but by the looks of the smoke you would think it was down half a quart.

KTO Enterprises
06-12-2007, 02:32 PM
sounds like ring problems. Do you do a lot of sandy yards? If not how many hours on the motor? Rings may have never seated properly at the factory.

Eric D
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Key things to make smoke:

Over filled crankcase.
Blocked engine case breather.
Excess valve stem clearance.
Worn or broken piston oil ring.
Fuel leakage into crankcase, leaky float.

Did I miss any?? :confused:

Eric D

MOturkey
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Our 07 Gravely came with a 23hp Kawi and almost every time I start it it fills the trailer with smoke, with the choke on or off. The dealer said this is normal due to the muffler being at the bottom of the motor. He said the un-burnt fuel gather's there and when I start it back up it blows it out:confused: Ive tried shutting it off at 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle and a barley running throttle and nothing makes a difference. Any one else have this same problem? I checked the oil and it is where it should be so it doesn't seem to be burning oil but by the looks of the smoke you would think it was down half a quart.

I think your dealer is full of crap. Something isn't right. I have a 2007 Gravely I bought last week with the 25 horse (same engine as far as I can tell) and it doesn't smoke at all. Neither did the 2003 with the 23 horse I owned previously. Good luck with this.

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
My 19 HP kawi does this and my dealer ALSO said this is a classic kawi thing. Mine has less then 150 hours on it.

Cheers
Jeff

mojob
06-12-2007, 09:04 PM
What color is the smoke? Gray would be oil, black would be too much fuel. My 15 hp belches out gray smoke every now and then on start up. It has done this since brand new. Anyone else have the same problem?

02DURAMAX
06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
my 23hp does that like onces a month ....other than that it starts up normal with no smoke.....it has 385Hrs..

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Mine is white/gray smoke, more white then anything. Only happens some times, generally after longer periods of use.

Cheers

ZX12R
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
"Mine is white/gray smoke, more white then anything. Only happens some times, generally after longer periods of use."

Same for me.Motor has 14 hours on it and I am not worried about it. When it has done it,it may be that I used more choke than necessary.Motor sounds and runs great. Try less choke,especially when its warm.

The comment that the dealer made about the muffler being too low is comical.:hammerhead:

Espacesverts
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a 2006 21hp and a 2007 23hp and they all smoke when I start. I just turned 520 hrs on my 21hp and its runing very good with no problem.

tnpete
06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
My 26 hp Kaw does it some times. But its from gas.
Pete

Richard Martin
06-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Everybody here that is having a smoke on start problem, I want you to try something.

Let the engine idle for 2 minutes before you shut it off. Let me know what happens.

Lynden-Jeff
06-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Will try that today if I can.

Cheers
Jeff

tnpete
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Everybody here that is having a smoke on start problem, I want you to try something.

Let the engine idle for 2 minutes before you shut it off. Let me know what happens.

I think that may fix it. As every time Mine smokes. Is when someone pulls up and have shut it down to answer there Question.
Thanks I will try it out.
Pete

Andyshine77
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Mine has a little smoke at start up as well, I consider it normal, it's just a little bit of unburnt fuel.:drinkup:

nobagger
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I actually started letting it idle for a minute or so and it seems to help somewhat. There is only 72.7hrs on it (some one asked earlier). My 15hp Kawi on my Exmark only smokes when I choke it, never after running then re-starting.

Envy Lawn Service
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
On mine the answer is NO.

Once in a while if I have to choke them heavily to start I'll get the classic black smoke.
Ends as soon as I open the choke.

As far as any other type of smoke, the answer is NO.

Grass Kickin
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a 23hp and 25hp Kawi and neither of them does that.

fiveoboy01
06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
What color is the smoke? Gray would be oil, black would be too much fuel. My 15 hp belches out gray smoke every now and then on start up. It has done this since brand new. Anyone else have the same problem?

The 15hp Kawasaki on my walk-behind does this once in a while. Gray smoke at startup and for a minute or two until it gets warm. As long as it's not blowing smoke constantly I don't worry about it. Engine's got around 20 hours on it.

nobagger
06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
The 15hp Kawasaki on my walk-behind does this once in a while. Gray smoke at startup and for a minute or two until it gets warm. As long as it's not blowing smoke constantly I don't worry about it. Engine's got around 20 hours on it.

fiveo- hows the Ford treatin' ya? Mine is doing well. I just ordered a K&N air induction kit for it. It supposed to give me 25 more hp and a couple of mpg more. I should get it by Monday or Tuesday from Summit Racing.

fiveoboy01
06-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh it's good, just over 12K miles now. It's nearly reserved for work-only duties as I bought a moped for getting around with the price of gas and all.

I'm going to be hanging a plow on it this winter for sure. Other than the gauge cluster, I've had no problems with it at all. Actually pulled a skidsteer around with it earlier this spring and it did better than I thought it would, as far as pulling power. I probably had over a ton of dirt on the trailer as well. It sagged pretty good but wasn't bottomed out. Of course the dirt was on the very front of the trailer:cry:

Let me know how you like the K&N. I've heard that the oil from the element can get on the MAF sensor wire and screw up the reading, causing the truck to run differently, but it may be a myth. I think you'll like the induction howl more than the extra few HP:)

How's yours treating you?

02DURAMAX
06-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh it's good, just over 12K miles now. It's nearly reserved for work-only duties as I bought a moped for getting around with the price of gas and all.

I'm going to be hanging a plow on it this winter for sure. Other than the gauge cluster, I've had no problems with it at all. Actually pulled a skidsteer around with it earlier this spring and it did better than I thought it would, as far as pulling power. I probably had over a ton of dirt on the trailer as well. It sagged pretty good but wasn't bottomed out. Of course the dirt was on the very front of the trailer:cry:

Let me know how you like the K&N. I've heard that the oil from the element can get on the MAF sensor wire and screw up the reading, causing the truck to run differently, but it may be a myth. I think you'll like the induction howl more than the extra few HP:)

How's yours treating you?

I have an AEM Brute Force Intake system on my silverado and it had aa oil filter but a soon as the dry flow came out i bought it.....But i never had a problem with the mass air floe sensor....as long as you don't over oil it...you can feel some improvement....but the thing i heard alot more was the turbo..:cool2: :cool2:

fiveoboy01
06-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I have an AEM Brute Force Intake system on my silverado and it had aa oil filter but a soon as the dry flow came out i bought it.....But i never had a problem with the mass air floe sensor....as long as you don't over oil it...you can feel some improvement....but the thing i heard alot more was the turbo..:cool2: :cool2:

Take the exhaust off and just run the downpipe:)

02DURAMAX
06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
Take the exhaust off and just run the downpipe:)

I did that when i bought my exhaust.....i drove around before i installed it...sounds good but the drown sound get annoying after awhile...now i have a turbo back 4" exhaust on it....much better..:laugh: