PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner string trimmer

yeller_demon
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry to pop in on this group, I`m a homeowner who is seeking answers to which string trimmer to buy, and didn`t want a bunch of I read about, or the guy at Lowes told me. I wanted to hear what the guys using them full time thought.

I mow 4 1/2 acres, use a Hustler Super Z for mowing, and my old ??? not sure it`s green, I think it`s a poulan is going down the drain after a mere 8 years of me trying to get it to do heavy work. With the amount of trimming I do, after using this trimmer I feel like a milkshake, that got milkshook. I think it`s due to the cable used instead of the solid steel shaft, but maybe not. I do know if I had to use this thing for a business I`d quit, couldn`t stand the vibration every day.

I trim about 1000 lineal feet of fence line, and around about 200 trees. I see Redmax, Stihl, Husquavarna, Echo, Tanaka, and several spoken about, but many of the models you guys are talking about are $400 +, Im looking in the <$250.00 range hopefully.

Any thoughts?

GW

jkingrph
06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Been there and done the same thing. After suffering through a cheapie that vibrated so bad my hands would get numb, I went with a Stihl because of local dealer. My advice is to look for the better brands as you mentioned, and go for a model in the mid to lower end of their commercial series. Stay away from the "consumer models" and you will not be dissapointed.

bigtex
06-12-2007, 03:19 PM
the (echo)'s from home depot should do you fine. look at the straight shaft one, i think its a (srm210). light weight-quiet- easy to change line and only about $199.00. i have one thats two years old and still running fine. and i use it four days a week 26 weeks a year. those other ones are great and built to last longer but if your not in the biz you can't go wrong with echo. plus under your $250 mark.

TAZ
06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Mowpart has the 2400 series redmax for 265. It's a solid shaft trimer that can take brush cutting attachments if needed.

-TAZ

walker/redmax
06-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Ya, I agree. I would say that the Redmax bcz2400s should serve you well.

FarmerJP
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I have used a Stihl for 7 years and nothing more than a air filter and fuel filter has been changed seems like a good way to go I think.

Grits
06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I run the Echo 261T. It is a great trimmer with no vibrations. It is a little more than you're looking to spend. It is around $350. I would recommend to you anything form Echo starting at the 210 series and up.

FarmerJP
06-12-2007, 03:54 PM
guess i should be more specific, I have the fs 85 model stihl now it has changed slightly to the fs80 but is the same motor, it is a great trimmer with good power, not tons of power but good power and it will run for a long time. oh yea I dont have anything against the new 4 mix motors but this is not one of them this is the same proven 2-stroke 50:1 mixer.

ed2150
06-12-2007, 05:10 PM
I'll guess I'll chime in and put in a plug for Kawasaki; my KGT27A's are excellent trimmers with plenty of power. About $270 and use the same bump feed head as the Echo trimmers.

As the others have pointed out, any of the big name trimmers, Stihl, RedMax, Echo, will also serve you well as long as you buy at least the low-end commercial models or better.

It's all a matter of what you like best, they'll all get the job done and last a long time.

SSS 18734
06-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I'll guess I'll chime in and put in a plug for Kawasaki; my KGT27A's are excellent trimmers with plenty of power. About $270 and use the same bump feed head as the Echo trimmers.

As the others have pointed out, any of the big name trimmers, Stihl, RedMax, Echo, will also serve you well as long as you buy at least the low-end commercial models or better.

It's all a matter of what you like best, they'll all get the job done and last a long time.

Yes the Kawasaki is a good trimmer - lightweight, long shaft, plenty of power, and no vibrations. If you'd like to save 50 bucks, though, go with the KTR27A. Its the homeowner version of the trimmer but the only difference that I am aware of is a flex shaft instead of a solid one.

lawnmaniac883
06-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Again a little more than you are looking to spend but not by much I recommend the stihl FS-100RX, you dont need a solid driveshaft unless you are looking to do brushcutting and the like. This model has the torquey 4-mix engine, its lightweight and no vibration. Best power to weight ratio of any trimmer... priced around 320 I believe. Really though any commercial grade trimmer shouldnt vibrate.

rob7233
06-12-2007, 07:20 PM
If you want the durability/reliability, low weight, performance in your price range, go with the Kawasaki KGT (not KTR) 27a. Very similiar to a Echo 260/261 without the carb issues that the Echo sometimes get, years later. The Kaws aren't cold natured either. You can find them at Lesco. A best buy IMHO..

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
SRM-210. Tons of power for your needs, we use them commercial with no issues!

gavin478
06-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I would recommend the stihl FS-55, its their top of the line homeowner model, priced just right at $200. You could also get the one that breaks off for attachments for a few bucks more if you're into that kind of stuff. I have one and I LOVE it, plenty of power, huge hold of line, easy to start and have never had a problem. My only complaint: gas tank is a little small for my needs, but you should be fine.

yeller_demon
06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow folks thanks for the info/feedback/help, appreciate it. I think based on answers given, and what I know to be great service nearby I`ll probably narrow it down to Stihl, or Redmax same great nearby dealer handles both, so if I need service it won`t be an issue. My main problem is they don`t have much stock right now, and getting past spring they don`t tend to replenish much.

I see Redmax on a site www.speedwaysales.com does anybody have experience with them??

Also have given thought to Echo/Lowes and Husqavarna/HD or whichever it is, are the tools the same as what you guys are talking about, or do they carry a SEARSIE type make it for us to our cheapo specs? I figure service is NON exsistent, but customer service is #1, and if ya yell real loud they fix ur problems if they arise.

And I guess my last thought is I`ve heard, not sure from whom, but I`ve heard that the solid drive shafts are what you want for non vibration, but a few answers here have said it doesn`t matter for a homeowner?? Or the pro line tools all are good solid or flex cable, seems to me the solid wouldn`t get that whip feeling I get now??? I don`t know how to explain it, I`m just hoping you know what I`m talking about, feels like u are the thing getting whipped, not the weeds.

Too darn many choices.................

Thanks guys/gals

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Wow folks thanks for the info/feedback/help, appreciate it. I think based on answers given, and what I know to be great service nearby I`ll probably narrow it down to Stihl, or Redmax same great nearby dealer handles both, so if I need service it won`t be an issue. My main problem is they don`t have much stock right now, and getting past spring they don`t tend to replenish much.

I see Redmax on a site www.speedwaysales.com does anybody have experience with them??

Also have given thought to Echo/Lowes and Husqavarna/HD or whichever it is, are the tools the same as what you guys are talking about, or do they carry a SEARSIE type make it for us to our cheapo specs? I figure service is NON exsistent, but customer service is #1, and if ya yell real loud they fix ur problems if they arise.

And I guess my last thought is I`ve heard, not sure from whom, but I`ve heard that the solid drive shafts are what you want for non vibration, but a few answers here have said it doesn`t matter for a homeowner?? Or the pro line tools all are good solid or flex cable, seems to me the solid wouldn`t get that whip feeling I get now??? I don`t know how to explain it, I`m just hoping you know what I`m talking about, feels like u are the thing getting whipped, not the weeds.

Too darn many choices.................

Thanks guys/gals

An SRM-210 is an SRM-210 wether you buy it at a dealer or HD. We have them at HD here, we dont have lowes and HD does not carry husky.

Cheers
Jeff

KTO Enterprises
06-12-2007, 09:28 PM
you dont need a solid driveshaft unless you are looking to do brushcutting

I run a Sthil FS80R. It is a flexible cable shaft trimmer. I know I have at least 40 hours of brush cutting alone on it. Along with the past 2 years worth of lawn accounts. I have never had any problems with this trimmer. The only thing I have had to replace is the spool that you wind the line on due to all the bumping. and the 2 little aluminum pieces in the head that the line comes through. It wore them slap out. I have demoed the 4 stroke and it can not compare to the 2 stroke for trimming.

TAZ
06-13-2007, 08:40 AM

http://www.mowpart.com/redmax-tools-trimmers-c-487_489.html?%3CosCsid%3E

These guys are a sponcer here on the board. I have ordered from them on several occations and have nothing bad to say about them.

-TAZ

Prestige-Lawncare
06-13-2007, 08:51 AM
I can remember the first time I used a commercial trimmer, and how much better it was then any homeowners model I had ever used! My first thought was ... why doesn't everyone just dish out the money for a good trimmer from the start, and probably never have to buy another trimmer? Get a good one to start with and be done with the heavy, out of balance, vibrating, line jamming junk they sell to homeowners.

I use STIHL as my choice of small equipment ... but there are others who love their particular choice of brands equally as well.

gunner27
06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
One thing to remember is that Echo now offers a 5 year warrenty for homeowners. I think the srm230 would be a good choice. A little more power than the 210 and still in your price range.

nick-bigfootlawn
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Call your local Shindaiwa dealer, and see if they have any specials. I got a Shindaiwa T231 for around $220, and would bet it could compete with any trimmer on the market.