PDA

View Full Version : Drought in Indy; what to do?

green-pa
06-12-2007, 05:20 PM
This drought is ridiculous here in Indy! I just missed all of my work today because there was none :cry: too dry and barely any growth. What do u guys do when it's like this? Especially if there is no contract? Do u just put em down for next week ( if that's how long it takes to rain)? Do u try and get landscaping/mulching jobs? I feel almost stuck. What about advertising?
I'm afraid that I'm going to lose most of my business this week due to this drought! It's not expected to rain 'til maybe Saturday!

Bigray
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
that's all you can do dude

mother nature is in control
time to dbl. ck. the eqip. then go fishing. lol

MeadowsLawnCare
06-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Take some time to advertise, maintence your equip real well, clean everything up, then do what bigray said "go fishing"

cjslawn
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I am in Indy too, this is ridiculous. I have seen a lot of guys mowing dust the last couple days. Fishing is not bad, but it won't pay the mortgage! :laugh:

Bennyb311
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
no rain in north west GA either...its killing me

touhey33
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Its killing me as well. We are 3 inches under average rain. Last year, I didn't skip one week all season long on my lawns. This year about half of my customers don't have water and I end up not cutting. Rain usually drives me crazy when I am trying to work, but I'd kill for a solid week of rain. I have time off in the winter I don't need time off in the summer to.

Bigray
06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
dont even go there about under avg. rain cause we floridans will beat it.
just roll w/ the punches and pray for the best.
PUT IT IN THE LORD'S HANDS!

tinman
06-12-2007, 08:47 PM
bad here also. Just have to take the good with the bad. Had tons of rain my first 3 years & turned down work. Last year was a little dry, this year is looking bad. But we go some rain today & have had enough to keep the grass going.
Dry weather will really root out the borderline clients. When you are not needed they will drop you. They don't think about the double cutting you did while it was really wet.
Still this year has been good with more pinestraw sales & pressure washing doing fine.

DSLND
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Dry as heck in Central IL. I got some advertising to do along with some landscaping. But as stated above, i didn't skip one week last year. I just hope that were not experiencing a year like 2005. Now that was bad! -Mitch-

green-pa
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Well I cleaned out my garage and moved one of my dead cars that's been sitting in the same spot for the last 8 years so I could get another dead ( but antique Mazda rx7) car out of the garage so i have space there to protect a new wb/trailer or whatever. I worked harder pushing them cars than if I'd have done my route! I watered my lawn so at least it will be in good shape. This droute seems like it would make it a bad time to look for customers since most people's lawns aren't growing anyway.