PDA

View Full Version : How to screw your Permagreen dealer

americanlawn
06-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Our local LESCO guys got screwed bigtime last week by an unscrupulous LCO competitor. (found out last night from our mowing subcontractor - then from LESCO today). Here's what happened:
Last week a local LCO competitor brought back a 2005 PG magnum with 300 hours to my local LESCO dealer. Said it was broke, and it did not spray. LESCO asked if it ever had been dropped off a trailor or if it often hopped curbs....LCO said NO - NEVER. The LCO was boisterous, rude, and demanding. So our local LESCO guy (new guy) got on the phone with his LESCO regional manager --Mistakenly, the regional rep assumed this LCO was their biggest customer in Iowa (VERY far from the truth as they mostly are a mowing company that does not use any LESCO equipment at all!). Bottom line: The LESCO regional manager "okay'd" a brand new 2007 PG Magnum for this guy. The LCO then said, "Thanks, we'll be buying more from you".
After that, LESCO found out from two different sources (LCO's) that this returned unit had fallen off the trailer at least two times! After close inspection, LESCO discovered that the engine platform was also cracked.

Here's what this LCO did with their 2007 Magnum (only one hour on it - factory hour): They parked it out front with a "for sale" sign on it. My friend then saw it and bought it for $4500. The check was made out to '..............' instead of P_____________ (LCO). Also, no tax was paid.
P____________ (LCO) does not operate ANY PG units now, they use a Z-Spray.
This is not the first time this LCO has bent the law.

It just makes me mad, cuz I love LESCO, and "dealings like this" only raise costs for honest LCO's. The LESCO store is located in Clive, Iowa.

Please guys, give your input on this, cuz the "loss" incurred by LESCO also came out of my local LESCO guys' pay. (Their regional manager has since been let go).

PM if you want the name of the local LCO culprit. Thanks.

indyturf
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I would think the RM would have wanted to check this out in person before turning over a brand new unit for one half way through its 3rd season at no cost?

carcrz
06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like they both screwed up. Who would give out a brand new machine for a 3 year old one w/o looking at it first? I'd think insurance would cover something like this though, at least covering replacement of a "faulty" machine.

ampeg76
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
there will always be thieves and liars looking for a quick score, and there are always fools to be had!

the machine should have been looked over

mkroher
06-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Sounds like the scam people do to Home Depot with buying mowers and snowblowers and returning them in the off season.

turf hokie
06-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Something fishy here. most vendors, including lesco will step up and do the right thing but only after they have done their due diligence. To give a new machine without looking at the old one is just plain silly.

lawnservice
06-13-2007, 08:47 AM
happens that even though i am several states away I know the guy you are speaking of. I find him to be an honest guy. From my understanding they won a new magnum and sold it.
Sooo, could there be some mis-information going on here?

this is how rumors start. I also know they do not own a Z-spray but do own equipment from C&S though I dont know which unit

cycloneturf
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
After reading the above posts and gathering some information (Not Hear Say) from the individuals involved it appears some of the information posted above is incorrect. The permagreen was purchased from Lesco in the winter of 2006 and was returned and credited for a new machine in the spring of 2007. The zone vice president, not the regional manager made this decision to credit the customer back the the old machine and bill a new machine. As far as not looking into the machine before it was credited back seems to be confused based on previous posts. The frame seemed to be in very bad condition and appeared to be bent and cracked in several spots. Based on the information the mechanic gave it appeared the machine had been abused. After the machine was in the service repair shop 4 different times for warranty and non warranty work the decision was made to credit the customer back his old machine and bill him a new machine. Although the zone vice president is no longer with Lesco the decision he made is not the reason he is no longer with the company. Other than hear say Lesco had no proof that the machine had been abused and based on the records from warranty work done and complaints on the machine from the customer the decision was made by Lesco to credit the machine back.

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
This is what I know with my own eyes: I know that LESCO gave this LCO a new 2007 Magnum (one hour on it) which was promptly resold to my good friend who subcontracts our mowing (for $4500). He made the check out to an "individual" instead of the LCO. He also paid no tax. My LESCO rep gave me permission to make this post because of the injustice and deceit he & other LESCO personel felt were involved. I don't know how LESCO has done it's accounting on the old broken Magnum, it's still up in the air, as they will have to relist it as part of their inventory. (I have dibs on it if it's around $1000). I also know LESCO is very upset + ........... regarding this situation .

Now here is what my LESCO rep told me: The zone vp (same thing as regional manager) was on a 3-way call when he made the decision. 2 different individuals later told LESCO about the machine being dropped. I do not know why the zone vp was discharged. Maybe "Location: midwest" does. LESCO told me the returned Magnum was a 2005 model that had nearly 300 hours on it. If I'm wrong, just call LESCO - I posted their number below.

Bottom line: If more "stunts" like this ocurr, it could affect honest LCO's credibility down the road. As it is, I can make a phone and receive four semi loads of LESCO product with no questions asked. Nothing signed (until the drivers deliver 80 tons of product to our doorstep). When top-notch outfits like LESCO & PermaGreen "experience losses", those costs are passed along to you & me. I don't think that's fair/honest. My local LESCO's phone number is: (515) 267-8474. This post is nothing personal against the abovementioned LCO. I have friends there. But cutting a check out to an individual instead of the company that 1st bought the machine concerns me. Then not paying tax on it.............well, I think you can all read between the lines. My bad cuz I didn't call him a zone vp??

lawnservice
06-13-2007, 07:28 PM
My bad cuz I didn't call him a zone vp??

no, your bad for bring this up in a public forum in the first place especially when all you have is hearsay.

starting to sound like you got some pretty sour grapes??

i really dont give a crap one way or another especially a 'check made out to the individual and not the company'..... so what??,,,,no sales tax??,,,good for him!

personally, i find this whole thread in bad taste (oh i know, you only posted it because you love lesco :rolleyes: )

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 07:50 PM
The LCO purchased the original Magnum from LESCO. Wish I could be lucky one & win one - oh well.

americanlawn
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
lawnservice......I have the serial number of this unit, cuz I am a serious buyer of this broken unit. We pay sales tax on everything that is not for resale -- it's the law, and we run legal books. As far as hearsay goes.....I closely examined the unit (very wornout). My LESCO rep was standing right next to me. I NEVER post "hearsay" on this site. Regarding "sour grapes"....no sour grapes against this LCO cuz they are friends of mine. But if an employee gets paid thousand of dollars for an item that the "company" paid for, it is illegal. No tax paid = also illegal. This I know as fact! Sure, I'm happy for my friend that bought this new 2007 Magnum for $4500 w/no tax. You probably don't have no clue who he is, and you probably haven't a clue as to how he helps our business, or what a trusted friend he is to me. If you DO know, please rscvp.

I thought this post would represent "lawful" LCO's as well as 'sponsors of this site'. If I "love" LESCO, that's my business --- NOT YOURS.
I also gave their phone number so anyone (including you) could call direct to the "horses mouth" in case additional details were needed by anyone interested regarding this issue. Every word on my original post was TRUE. Your post offers only "negative oppinions". No fact, just BULL.
Hope your books are in order???
Also, add this up...a unit that was supposedly purchased during the winter of 2006..........then all of a sudden had 300 hours on it the following spring??
Now THAT'S "hearsay" as well as untrue.
lawnservice - next time you accuse me of "hearsay", think again. Don't want to fight you, cuz I know you are a good member , yet I have the facts -- you do not.
If you want details regarding the broken unit, you have the phone number. Nuf said. Don't know how more honest I can get.

TLS
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
This is really getting confusing.... But one thing to point out.

There is nothing wrong or illegal about buying a piece of machinery from someone and NOT paying your state's sales tax. If you are a business, you would however have to pay whats called USE TAX, and that is something you (the buyer) must pay your state.

So...all your friend has to do is submit to your state the USE TAX of whatever percent your state has. Then he is legal.

My question is though....why would anyone get a brand new PG if his old one isn't working. Warranty or not, you don't just "get" a new one. It is extremely rare even in the auto industry to get a buy-back. Even then, it's usually when the unit is "new". You said this unit was beat up and had 300hrs on it?

cantoo
06-15-2007, 12:21 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was driving in my company truck. I had been up late the night before reading on lawnsite so I was pretty tired. I was almost dozing off as I drove along. As I was driving thru town I thought "wow" a coffee would wake me back up. And there ahead of me was the big Tim Horton's sign just begging me to turn in. So I looked in my armrest box and sure enough there was a bright shinly toonie (that's a $2 coin for you mericans) there was other change there too but I was too busy to count out the correct change which is $1.39 for a large double double. Hmmmmmm I could taste it already even before I got into the lineup for the drive thru. I ordered at the speaker then waited to get to the window to pay. The lineup was long but was moving quickly so that sweet coffee was going to be mine soon. Nice looking young thing at the window, I handed her my toonie and she handed me my coffee. I put it in the coffee holder in my company truck (there are two spots but I only got one coffee so the extra one was empty). being careful not to spill the precious liquid. She handed me my change back and I drove away. As I put the change back in the armrest box I noticed that she had given me 3 quarters and a penny instead of 2 quarters, a dime and 1 penny. For a second my mind raced with the thought of what had just happened. An unexpected windfall like that what should I do? Should I go back and get the correct change? Should I just get the heck out of there before she realized her mistake? Now I run a legit business and all that stuff and it's not like I really tried to pull anything over on her by giving her the toonie instead of the correct change but what should I have done? I've been thinking I better claim it as income in case she got my licence plate number and reported it to the tax people. I'm just not sure how I should claim the money though. Do you think Tim Horton's would send me an invoice for the amount if she did get my licence number? I would hate to claim it as income on my taxes and then receive and invoice for it and have to pay it back. I wish now that I had of just dropped it into the Kid's camp box that sits beside the take out window but then I would need a tax receipt for the donation.
What would you have done?

:)

Stillwater
06-15-2007, 01:54 AM
I do not beleive you that money was taken from the lescos guys pay check that is not leagle lesco knows better than that. lesco and john Deere the parent company has so much cash right now I find it very hard to take the time to care.

lawnservice
06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
A couple of weeks ago I was driving in my company truck. I had been up late the night before reading on lawnsite so I was pretty tired. I was almost dozing off as I drove along. As I was driving thru town I thought "wow" a coffee would wake me back up. And there ahead of me was the big Tim Horton's sign just begging me to turn in. So I looked in my armrest box and sure enough there was a bright shinly toonie (that's a $2 coin for you mericans) there was other change there too but I was too busy to count out the correct change which is $1.39 for a large double double. Hmmmmmm I could taste it already even before I got into the lineup for the drive thru. I ordered at the speaker then waited to get to the window to pay. The lineup was long but was moving quickly so that sweet coffee was going to be mine soon. Nice looking young thing at the window, I handed her my toonie and she handed me my coffee. I put it in the coffee holder in my company truck (there are two spots but I only got one coffee so the extra one was empty). being careful not to spill the precious liquid. She handed me my change back and I drove away. As I put the change back in the armrest box I noticed that she had given me 3 quarters and a penny instead of 2 quarters, a dime and 1 penny. For a second my mind raced with the thought of what had just happened. An unexpected windfall like that what should I do? Should I go back and get the correct change? Should I just get the heck out of there before she realized her mistake? Now I run a legit business and all that stuff and it's not like I really tried to pull anything over on her by giving her the toonie instead of the correct change but what should I have done? I've been thinking I better claim it as income in case she got my licence plate number and reported it to the tax people. I'm just not sure how I should claim the money though. Do you think Tim Horton's would send me an invoice for the amount if she did get my licence number? I would hate to claim it as income on my taxes and then receive and invoice for it and have to pay it back. I wish now that I had of just dropped it into the Kid's camp box that sits beside the take out window but then I would need a tax receipt for the donation.
What would you have done?

:)

LOL, now that was a great post, one worth reading

americanlawn
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Yep -- you will be taxed. It's the law. Otherwise, hide your books.

americanlawn
06-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I trhink you are a Democrat.

tremor
06-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Sounds pretty fishy but if the deal really did pan out like this then I can't feel bad for the morons who handed over the new unit & Fitz would be rolling in his grave.

John Deere won't let this continue.

americanlawn
06-22-2007, 06:47 PM
2005 Magnum. Purchase date: February 2006. Warranty expired well before unit was returned . Current high bid for this broken/ "well used" Magnum = $1800 as of 6/22/07. LESCO employees receive a year-end bonus. Their bonus will be less because of this deal. I have offered their direct phone number on this post in case someone out there does not beleive me or has interest in this machine. One poster criticized me because I said I "love LESCO". That seems personal instead of subjective??? With a phone call just ten minutes ago, I ordered another semi-load (22 tons) of LESCO products -- no signiture, no money up front, no nothing, just pay in a few months from now (even though we always pay well before). Bottom line redarding this post: people made bad decisions, and it cost my local LESCO guys some money. Nobody's perfect, and life goes on. Yes, I do love LESCO, and that is my preference - not people with too many beers in them. Nuf said.

lawnservice
06-22-2007, 06:50 PM
.......................................................yawn...................................