PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for watering lawn?

Bennyb311
06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a customer wanting me to water a small yard. It takes me about 40 minutes to mow/trim/blow. How much should I charge? how long and how often should I water? Much thanks to any help!:usflag:

cpel2004
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Are you joking?

gary6768
06-12-2007, 08:55 PM
While the sprinker's running ask her if she wants anything else done, like dog grooming, car washing, cleaning the pool.

RonB
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM
When you get there to cut - turn the sprinkler on. Lawn gets a 40 minute watering and keeps you cool too - double your regular fee.

Bennyb311
06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the smart comments...We are are having a record breaking drought here...I am more than glad to take on extra jobs right now. But thanks for all the help.

Allens LawnCare
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you really have time to do things like that!

carcrz
06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Charge her a weekly rate for a timer & setup.

1MajorTom
06-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Do you really have time to do things like that!
I'm sure he does, just like we all probably did when we first started out. His profile says first year in business.
To answer your question, are you in that area in the early morning? That would be the best time to water. Water heavy, when we water our lawn we shoot for an inch of water. Problem is, how many times are you going to have to move the sprinklers?

I understand you being "hungry" for work, but honestly this really aint a good job. Hard to price, because you got to think, "will the customer even want to pay much for all the trouble that you'll be going thru." If it were us, even if we were in our first year, we'd pass on that job,and just teach the customer what kinds of sprinkler she will need, help her select a few spots in her lawn that when the sprinkler is turned on will give her the most coverage, and be done with it. then try to maybe upsell her on something else. maybe some bed edging, mulching, etc.

green-pa
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the smart comments...We are are having a record breaking drought here...I am more than glad to take on extra jobs right now. But thanks for all the help.

I hear u bro. In Indiana it's terrible too! I missed all my normal jobs yesterday and I was already struggling so u know I'm praying! I'm fortunate enough to have gotten a couple hedge trimming jobs which will compensate quite a bit for the missed mowings.

I've asked the same question yesterday. I think the other guy is right; just charge them for a set up and show them how to do it and where to place/position the sprinkler/s.

DuraCutter
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a customer wanting me to water a small yard. It takes me about 40 minutes to mow/trim/blow. How much should I charge? how long and how often should I water? Much thanks to any help!:usflag:

We've done some lawn watering once new sod is layed for a new condo development. Our rate was $49/hr. It's work like anything else and you charge accordingly. Last time I checked, every service I buy, I have to pay for, so watering is no different. :dizzy: :dizzy:

I know of a condo that payed over 20k last year for watering new sod. That same condo just had us do about 40k of landscape work and about 1k of watering.

:)

cpel2004
06-13-2007, 11:11 PM
What happened to their sprinkler system?

GravyTrain
06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I'll tell you from experience...don't do it. When i started earlier this year, the guy asked me to do it 2-3 times a week. Also, the house is two houses down from mine, so I figured when I watered my lawn, i would water theirs. I charged an extra 10 dollars every time a cut, and I regret ever having offered. I'm actually going to discontinue this service in the next couple weeks and if I lose the job, so be it. I'm moving and will NOT go out of my way, or spend 30 minutes watching a sprinkler work.

My point is this. DO NOT OFFER TO DO IT. NO MATTER THE COST. Of course, if she offers $200 every time you water it, go for it, take a book with you and read while you make money. Anything less than that though...FORGET ABOUT IT!

Armadillolawncare
06-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Here is how I do it and what you need. First I charge per sprinkler head. Most homes I put out 2 sprinklers one in the front and one in the back. So you need 2 sprinklers, 2 hoses and 2 programable timers. I charge 25.00 for the initial setup which takes me about 15 minutes. I then charge 5.00 per sprinkler per week. So if you put out two sprinklers then you will get 25.00 for the set up and then 10.00 per week after that. This has been very profitable for me so far. I use this primarily with a local property management company. While they have a property sitting empty they often ask me to mow and water it so the grass doesn't die. Every time I mow I place the sprinkler in a different location. Since the water is controlled by the timer all I do is set it to water every 3 days or every other day and then turn it on.
The equipment I use are as follows.

Timers from Home Depot - $25.00
50 ft hoses - $15.00
Sprinklers - $8.00
Last year when we had a drought I often would have 7 or 8 houses set up this way. That was adding an extra $70 to $80 per week.

Any questions feel free to ask.

robbo521
06-15-2007, 12:16 AM
well i have time to water to.we are in 5 months now without a drop of rain and its getting bad.i am still cutting one everyweek due to very high water table but after tomorrow it wont need it.i would get stuck in some spots but the last 3 weeks i have been able to cut it all.

green-pa
06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
well i have time to water to.we are in 5 months now without a drop of rain and its getting bad.i am still cutting one everyweek due to very high water table but after tomorrow it wont need it.i would get stuck in some spots but the last 3 weeks i have been able to cut it all.

No rain in 5 months? Are u kidding?

Your Lawn First
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Here is what you want to do. Water the lawn for a min. of an hour to get at least 1 inch on all grass to establish good roots. to make sure the hole lawn gets an inch set up little cups all around the yard the first time then you will know how long to water each part wiht how much water is in each cup after an hour, less then an inch needs more time, and so on. do this once a week only an inch per week that is it no more or insects and other pest will start to eat the grass. as for charging them I would say charge what you would to mow the grass. It is going to be more of a pain in the *** then mowing but you offered so that is what I got for you.

robbo521
06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
no not kidding,been 4.5 months now to the date.they say it has not been this dry in 54 years.they have put a stop on all burning,fireworks and all.if they see smoke the can come take you in and up to 1000.00 fine.all the fields around here are burnt up.

Grass Kickin
06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I hate doing this. When my brother in law owned the business he would do it. Of course you need a timer and sprinkler set up but we service like 70 residential accounts. It because impossible to water a lawn more than the one time a week we serviced it. Then you have people complaining because they fell you should be doing it everyday regardless of restrictions. Once you get past the overhead to get set up to do this, you could likely make 10 or 15 extra dollars a week doing it. Remember though, you are going to spend around 75.00 just to get it started. So you need 6 or 7 weeks just to pay for the equipment. Will you be watering that long? When I took over the business I promptly stopped providing that service. Didn't lose any accounts over it.

DuraCutter
06-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I hate doing this. When my brother in law owned the business he would do it. Of course you need a timer and sprinkler set up but we service like 70 residential accounts. It because impossible to water a lawn more than the one time a week we serviced it. Then you have people complaining because they fell you should be doing it everyday regardless of restrictions. Once you get past the overhead to get set up to do this, you could likely make 10 or 15 extra dollars a week doing it. Remember though, you are going to spend around 75.00 just to get it started. So you need 6 or 7 weeks just to pay for the equipment. Will you be watering that long? When I took over the business I promptly stopped providing that service. Didn't lose any accounts over it.

10 to 15 dollars extra a week. Are we talking about business or collecting carts in the safeway parking lot? :laugh: :laugh:

:dizzy: