PDA

View Full Version : Somebody rolled a rider today.

Ed Ryder
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
One of my customers participated in the rescue. The worker was trapped under the mower - a John Deere zero-turn. With much struggle, he and a crew of non-English speaking Mexicans got him out. My customer removed his shirt and actually used it as a tourniquet on the injured man's arm. His hand had been crushed. I was nearby and checked out the accident scene. I'm not quite sure how it happened? The hill wasn't that steep. It appeared the machine was set-up for a rollbar but didn't have it fully installed. Had it been there, the guy might not have been hurt as bad as he was. Hmm...

Lightning was happening, and that stuff scares me a bit after ever since a bolt blew the wood off a tree about 50 feet away from me a few years ago, so I was out of there quick.

Anyway, be careful on hills with the riders guys, especially along any inclines near a creek or other body of water. It is possible to get killed this way if it rolls near water and you get trapped under the water with the machine on top of you.

This company was doing a homeowner association common area and they had a national company type of look - not sure who they were. The rider was upside down on the grass when I saw it. Scary stuff! This sh*t happens. Be careful.

Bunton Guy
06-12-2007, 07:34 PM
WOW lucky to walk away! We had flipped a great dane at the top of a hill a few years back. Kinda a freak incident...mower lost traction then gained traction pulled a wheelie and the 200+pound man pulled back when it started to flip.

Not to mention this year we lost a 52" hydro walk behind into a lake. Total loss (its still there)

DUSTYCEDAR
06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
that storm was wild today

Cubguy
06-12-2007, 09:07 PM
It happens, about 6 weeks ago a city worker rode a Z into the river.
The grass was wet and he lost traction, he was OK - very lucky!

Be careful

ExecutiveLawns
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
A few years back that happened here to a large lawn service were one of their guys lost control and put the mower in a pond and they had to have a towing service recover the mower. not much profit that day or week.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
We had one of our guys run a WB in the lake last week,:hammerhead: We were able to get it out with some help from a neighbors quad We drained and bled everything out of it. Replace all filters and fluids and plugs. It runs better than it did before it went in. Oh it is alot cleaner now to with its bath.;)

LindblomRJ
06-12-2007, 10:03 PM
A few years back that happened here to a large lawn service were one of their guys lost control and put the mower in a pond and they had to have a towing service recover the mower. not much profit that day or week.

Think that was a big enough wrecker? :laugh:

We had one of our guys run a WB in the lake last week,:hammerhead: We were able to get it out with some help from a neighbors quad We drained and bled everything out of it. Replace all filters and fluids and plugs. It runs better than it did before it went in. Oh it is alot cleaner now to with its bath.;)

When you go to sell you can advertise its clean as a whistle.

Makes me glad I don't have many water hazards.

DBL
06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=LindblomRJ;1862167]Think that was a big enough wrecker? :laugh:
QUOTE]

yeah you aint kidding

KTO Enterprises
06-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Thats like using a crane to unload grocery bags after going to the grocery store.
The truck they use to pull the trailer would have gotten it out just fine.

lawnprosteveo
06-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I have seen guys do some pretty unsafe stuff while Im out and about. I see them taking their ztr's on some hills I would never try. ROPS down or off of course. Lots of discharge chutes off, guys trimming w/o safety glasses...I dont like me or my people getting hurt so we try to do it right.

sheshovel
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
It's from trying to mow to close to water cuz they are lazy and want to get out of as much trimming as they can. This is what I have been told. No reason to get a mower that big and heavy that close to water.l

Tony Clifton
06-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Thats like using a crane to unload grocery bags after going to the grocery store.
The truck they use to pull the trailer would have gotten it out just fine.

They actually probably used that size wrecker so they could lift the mower out of the pond instead of dragging it out which would have caused more damage.

RedMax Man
06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
They actually probably used that size wrecker so they could lift the mower out of the pond instead of dragging it out which would have caused more damage.

About to months ago a kid took his own like and drove a Chevy Blazer (small SUV) into the river neat my house. 2 wreckers pulled it out and it was along the shore. They also had wrecker the same size as that too.

jce4isu
06-13-2007, 01:48 PM

i think cory will be ok that is just a drop in te bucket for him

walker/redmax
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
I heard about a guy a while back that was mowing underneath a weeping willow and got stabbed though the shoulder by a dead branch that was protruding. I think he ended up being OK, but it really makes you think about some of the weird injuries that can happen on the job.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Ive had my nose broken twice due to various parts of the big tractor pulling back limbs and small trees and letting them go. Busted lip from the same thing.