PDA

View Full Version : herbicide blanket spraying with backpack

bbpropmaint
06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I am a licensed applicator in nys.. i currently try to do most of my apps with granular products..but sometimes use the backpack with a boom..I know i need a sprayer but volume doesnt warrant it..anyway i am currently spraying@ 1.5 gallons per k..can i decrease my pressure and increase my herbicides in the tank using less mix...i am sick of refilling.. what are the volumes being sprayed per k with a perma green??? please help

rcreech
06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I would recommend using the Synergy (which is adding a liquid tank to your spreader and making it all in one pass). You can get this at your Lesco dealer. You will get your $400 back quick by being more effecient making one pass and not filling so much. Thats my 2 cents. Good Luck!

bbpropmaint
06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
thanks for the input ..ive seen the synergy..that tank is also small..i want to know how to cover the most area effectively with my back pack refilling a s little as possible

mkroher
06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
thanks for the input ..ive seen the synergy..that tank is also small..i want to know how to cover the most area effectively with my back pack refilling a s little as possible

I think the nature of the beast...is for small areas, or spot treatment. When I started out I used backpacks too. I'd use my customer's water and mix in their driveway. Unprofessional...but I had no choice. I then got myself a used 100gal skid tank.

If you just want to use backpacks, consider buying like 4 of them, and fill them up before you leave to a job. I dont' know how many sqft you're doing and what your lawns are like. This time of year, most lawns are pretty clean, and a backpack would be ideal since it's really just spot treating. A new customer with 20K sqft of wall to wall dandelions, you'd have some trouble, and it'd take too long.

Hope my two cents helped.

RigglePLC
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
You are correct. Use less pressure, thereby applying less water. Omit the boom--just wave your hand left and right--to cover about 6 feet wide. Find the gallons per thousand--try to get it down to half gallon per thousand square feet. Practice with water on cement. Mix weed control for the square feet you are covering. Save your back--no need to carry all that water.

1000 sq ft. Try to apply a half gallon on a swath 6 feet wide by 166 feet long. Full gallon would be 6 feet by 322 feet(2000 sqft).

Grandview
06-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Use the smallest air induction nozzles possible. I cover 7000 sqft with one gallon.

Ric
06-13-2007, 08:44 AM

bbp

IMHO the big Skid Sprayers are more of a ego trip than functional in a granular program. Nothing wrong with a granular program in fact it is better. However liquid weed control is a necessity. For about the same price as a good Back Pack you can buy a 15 or 25 gallon 12V spot sprayer and eliminate the PITA of a back pack on larger areas. Many have mounted them on mowers and even made or bought boom sprayers, I have. I am not sure what key word you would use to find many pictures of set ups like that right here on Lawnsite. But there are many pictures of such set ups.

ampeg76
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
as far as mixing goes for backpacks, if you don't have a nurse tank for filling, buy a couple of 3 gallon plastic jugs, fill those up with water, and mix at your truck, mixing in a driveway does not look good, and there is the risk of spilling something!

i usually try to use 1 gallon per K when using herbicides, any more and it takes to much time, any less and you risk coverage issues, trying to use smaller nozzle tips and get more out of each gallon usually leads to more drift than anything, IMHO:)

cheers

unit28
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I dunno....
I worked for a spray company that used 200 gal tanks,
and
when we got low we filled up at the next customers house while eating lunch.

We had 8 trucks.

I only had one complaint, but the rest were happy that it wasn't
a larger company.

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
unit - I hear ya.....most folks feel good when they help others. It's kinda like the old days when neighbors knew each other. I hope these good old times will return -- it's about time, cuz life is short. God bless, americanlawn

lilmarvin4064
06-14-2007, 03:52 PM
if you're blanket spraying with a backpack you need to get a Teejett 6506 tip. It's the best one I've tried out of about 7 or 8 tips. at normal BP pressures it puts out 1 gallon/1000 calibrated. It has a great pattern, 65 degree angle (80 degree is too much), flow rate not too high (too much water and pumping), or too low (drift, uneven coverage, slower walking speed). Look into it.

ATVracer
06-14-2007, 07:04 PM
When I use my backpack I carry 3-4 of those blue water jugs from the water softener store. They hold 5 gallons each and I can do a little over 5k of lawn since my pack uses about 115 ounces per k. I bought them for like 5-6 dollars each.

mrkosar
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
or get 5 gallon gas cans from TSC or Home Depot and fill them up with extra water.

Ric
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
:confused:

Yo guys :confused:

Will someone explain to me why you have to carry fresh water????? I have no problems using the customers hose to fill a Back Pack. I Never had a customer complain about using that small amount of water. :confused:

ampeg76
06-15-2007, 03:06 PM
:confused:

Yo guys :confused:

Will someone explain to me why you have to carry fresh water????? I have no problems using the customers hose to fill a Back Pack. I Never had a customer complain about using that small amount of water. :confused:

me either, i fill a few 3 gallon jugs at a customers house so i can do all the mixing at my truck throughout the day!

Grandview
06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I have had customers complain about using their water.

ArizPestWeed
06-16-2007, 12:32 AM
I carry a 50 gal fresh tank for 'cides .
I didn't for the longest time , it was a real hassle and pain to fill up with clients hose .
It's more professional using your own tank .
But , I'm not surprised Ric did it that way , not at all .
:)

unit28
06-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Just ask 'em.

They appreciate the hard work we do, and good service with quality results will have them eating out of your hand.
---------------------

Water only cost .002 cents per gallon.
If you wanna look profesional, then you'll need a chemlawn truck,
as that's what all the homeowners want.:rolleyes:

Ric
06-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I carry a 50 gal fresh tank for 'cides .
I didn't for the longest time , it was a real hassle and pain to fill up with clients hose .
It's more professional using your own tank .
But , I'm not surprised Ric did it that way , not at all .
:)

AirHead

I am not surprised at all that you are not surprised. BUT then I have seen pictures of your truck with nothing but back pack sprayers. Maybe I should post a picture of my Cab Over which has 3 tanks 3 pumps and 3 hose reels so you can see what a real spray operation uses for equipment. Yes I still use Back packs for small special jobs. I could use my 12 gallon hand wash tank to fill back packs and sometimes do. But to fill a small back pack from the customers hose I have never considered unprofessional.

A REAL REASON TO CARRY WATER might be Water quality. My well water gets professionally tested each year since water quality is an issue here in Florida. I have a deep sulfur water well that must be aerated to take the sulfur smell out. However straight from ground it is excellent for pesticide with a 6 pH. Our treated City water has a 7 pH and and some oxidizers. While the city water is OK, My well water is a tad better.