View Full Version : Landscaper Drowned

jpmako
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Here is the article.
Just thought I would bring it to the attention of you L.I. guys/ gals
http://www.newsradio88.com/pages/573257.php?contentType=4&contentId=602835

TOOMUCHWALKING
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
What a way to go...poor bastard . I wonder if he knew what he fell in ?

KS_Grasscutter
06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
What a way to go...poor bastard . I wonder if he knew what he fell in ?

Yea, no crap... errrr....anyway,

What are the odds of that? And who's insurance would be responsible? I would guess the homeowner?

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 10:31 PM
What the heck is a cesspool. Is that what you guys call a SEPTIC tank?

Jeff

TOOMUCHWALKING
06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I just hope he was unconscious

ManorD24
06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Here's the story from the local paper. It has more details then the AP report.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-licess0613,0,534816.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

TOOMUCHWALKING
06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Well , I feel better that he didn't , um , drown . What the hell is a Wrightstander ? Is that the Deere machine ? R.I.P. , dude...

fargoboy
06-12-2007, 10:55 PM
septic system is a holding tank with a leech field to drain away the liquids. Cesspool is just a big tank that leaked. A lot of them were made out of bricks that were just layed with no cement so they would leak. When public sewers came along, they hooked up the pipes to the system and filled in the cesspools with cinders from the heaters. Every once in awhile someone discovers these old cesspools the hard way when they finally cave in. I have personally seen two cement trucks go this way in the past thirty years but never heard of anyone drowning in one. They are usually only about six feet deep but who knows he might have hit his head going in

ManorD24
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Cesspools are like septic tanks only they have slots in them to drain the liquids out. A septic tank is solid to hold solids and then the liquids go into a leaching field. With cesspools the waste exits the house and sits in the cesspool which are now made out of pre-cast concrete rings, but prior to pre-cast they made them out of actual concret blocks, and over time they become unstable and colapse. I'm in the FD and 6 years ago we had a man die when he fell in his in his back yard while walking, and last year we pulled 2 men out of one, when it collapsed. Most houses on long island have cesspools, the rest are hooked up to central sewer districts.

smcunningham
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
thats gotta suck....rest in peace

Lynden-Jeff
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Interesting, thanks for the explanations.

Cheers
Jeff

KTO Enterprises
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
This is the stuff that really worries me when bush hogging. Im rollin 5,500 lbs across land that no one has walked in a long time. Never know what can happen. i guess if i fall in some big cave/hole It was my time and you fools can fight over who gets my tractors. lol

The Captain
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Our sympathy and prayers to the family and co-workers.
This would be tough on any of us.
I'm rather surprised this type of accident dosen't happen more often though. These tanks are everywhere. Before public sewer systems almost every home had something like this. Some newer homes in outlying areas still need and install them.

Makes me think of the cisterns/wells and cesspools/septic tanks that may be in the yards of the older homes I service.

Take care.....Jim

Cubguy
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
The Wright Stander is similar to a Great Dane

TOOMUCHWALKING
06-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Which is ?

sheshovel
06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
It is just terrible when these accidents happen. You would think the homeowners would have informed him the cesspool was there. I doubt seriously if they bothered. It is a blatant inconsideration of our safety when clients fail to inform us of possible hazards like this one. My sympathy goes out to his family.

Sandgropher
06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Which is ?

www.greatdanemowers.com

02DURAMAX
06-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Which is ?

go to this link and look at the pic's of the stander that crushed him....R.I.P..

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-licess0613,0,534816.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

stephenslawncare
06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
these are the things we dont think about when mowing, we are all thinking about not hitting rocks, keeping our stripes perfectly even, and getting to the next yard on time. I really think safety should be more of a consideration for landscapers. I am guilty of breaking safety rules more times than i am willing to admit. Did you all see the picture of him w/ his daughter. how bad that must be for the family. These stories really wake us up ya know.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-13-2007, 02:44 AM
wow if the grass was overgrown on that i doubt he even knew it was there. ******* homeowners should have told him that it was there so he could be more cautious around that area. Futhermore i think the homeowners should be required to fill them in with concrete or remove them completly if its no longer in use.

lawnman_scott
06-13-2007, 06:08 AM
wow if the grass was overgrown on that i doubt he even knew it was there. ******* homeowners should have told him that it was there so he could be more cautious around that area. Futhermore i think the homeowners should be required to fill them in with concrete or remove them completly if its no longer in use.Evan filled in with topsoil or crappy fill dift would be fine. But I think ny is too busy fighting smoking and people eating unhealthy fast food to worry about this.

johnwon
06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
That set of pictures really makes it so real rather than words on a page....it is so sad.

fargoboy
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
after reading second article, you stand a high probability of dying in a cesspool if you live on Long Island. New Jersey is highly overated after reading that, no wonder Tony didn't die

RedMax Man
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
WOW that's scary, I'm sure he wasn't even expecting it or doing something dangerous that could have lead to that. Next time i go to look at a new mowing account maybe i should ask the owner if they have a cesspool.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I always make sure they tell me if they have a septic tank and where it is located. Just to be sure.

Idealtim
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I wonder how many guys it took to pick that mower out of the hole?

prizeprop
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
wow if the grass was overgrown on that i doubt he even knew it was there. ******* homeowners should have told him that it was there so he could be more cautious around that area. Futhermore i think the homeowners should be required to fill them in with concrete or remove them completly if its no longer in use.My Uncle lives in Deer Park,Long Island and they are still used. And very common.It's not a unique situation and hundreds of lawn guys probably ride over them everyday.Very sad accident. Any LI people have experience of handling cutting by these cesspools?Just curious?

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I had my tractor break the lid on a septic tank once. Started to fall in but was able to drive up out before it collapsed all the way in. It was a piece of land that probably had a mobile home on it a long time ago and the only thing that was left was the tank and drain field. I dont think we have too many cesspools around my parts.

ManorD24
10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Same type of thing almost happened too my friend today, his crew was using a walker in a back yard and the front wheels and deck started sinking into the ground, and a hole just opened up. His guy was able to jump off. We where able to winch the machine out but the hole kept getting bigger and bigger, about 6' round by the time we winched it out. The things you dont think about all the time. I know 1 house i do there are some low spots and it looks to be the area where the cesspool would be in relation to the vent line, so i think i'll be going around that area from now on and recommend that they have it checked. WATCH OUT FOR THOSE OLD BLOCK CESSPOOLS AND DRYWELLS!!!!!!!!!!