PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen pump help needed

Runner
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok...The time has come. I am changing the pump on my PG Ultra SE. I bought the 2 gal./minute Flojet to replace the stock Sure-Flo 1 gal./minute. I am going to have to do some rigging to get this to fit. Can it be put in the original place if I drill change the bolt (screw) positions? The end for the hoses is quite a bit wider, and I'm wondering about doing an elbow against the right side of the frame - if there is enough room (?). The plug, I will cut and splice with heat shrink connectors.
I know that some have put the pumps in different places like on the side, but is it possible to mount this underneath right where the other one was? Another thing I am looking at is the clearance between the hose on the left side of the pump and the drive belt.
Also, if we order a replacement pump for this, do they now give us a 2 gpm pump, or another 1 gpm like we had?
I will be doing a search on this, as I know there is a whole slew of information on this, but I just wanted to post this because I don't have alot of time to mess with it. Thank you for the help in advance. I need it bad.

RigglePLC
06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
I had problems with my Ultra today , too--nozzle filters were plugged.

Can't help much. I think you are on the right track. Put the elbow into the pump before you mount it with bolts. My pump had three wires, hot wire, to switch and from switch. Don't remember exactly, how but it works fine.

Runner
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah,....been through the cleaning of the nozzles. I had the diaphram off and cleaned that all out, too - checked the cap as well. I swapped the lower diaphram (low pressure) to see if THAT would work on the left side high speed hose......got the same thing. It DOES work if I shut off the right side. I don't even have circulation going up the pressure regulator and back into the tank. I tried turning the regulator open a bit to re-prime it, but it just doesn't work. I was just on TSC's website and see they have a 1 gpm pump that looks smaller...It looks like it has the exact same rubber mounts as the old Sureflo pump. I may just return the 2 gpm pump and get thi one. Does anyone know how much Lesco or PG get for their replacement pumps? It is my understanding that they are now using Flojet pumps. Here is the link to the 1 gal. one TSC has. http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1034&sonID=158&page=1&productID=26863

RigglePLC
06-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Nice, but I don't think you want the "Demand" type pump, (which shuts off if valves are closed). The ordinary pump is fine. About $88, at TSC.

Ric
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Runner

I don't have a PG and know very little about them. However I have fooled with 12V pumps quite a bit. They are demand pumps that shut off at a certain pressure and then kick back on when the pressure drops again. I caution you about changing pump size because with the same nozzles as a one gallon pump the 2 gallon pump will cut on and off where the one gallon ran constant. Each time the pump cycles on and off there will be a pressure difference and this WILL effect application rates.

I have gotten around the pressure difference by installing a pressure regulator. However I believe on the PG you shut off your boom by turning off your pump??? This will not work correctly with a pressure Regulator because of the Back pressure still in the line.

Runner
06-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know the model number of the Flo-jet that PG now uses as their replacement for these units (Ultra SE)?

Ric
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know the model number of the Flo-jet that PG now uses as their replacement for these units (Ultra SE)?

Joe

I just Googled Shu Flo pumps to see there were several models of the one gallon Per Minute pump and each had just a little different flow rate. I limited my search to Viton diaphragms since you need them with pesticides not that standard rubber won't work for a while with esters and even longer with amine formulations.

The point of my above post was the correct sizing of pumps to spray nozzles. I find it easier after all the math is done to tweak it with a regulator because I am dealing with Ground speed vs GPM vs spray width from flood jet boom-less nozzles like the PG. PG has engineered all these factors already.

But as many PG as there are out there, Does the Manufacture NOT have the correct replacement pump??????? Yes I know they like to screw you on replacement parts, But sometimes we just have to bite the bullet. I believe this is the second thread you started about this.

teeca
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM

runner, i upgreaded to the flojet this spring. like a dumb a$$ i bought if from PG for $130. go to tractor supply, they stock the same unit for $60 but you need to slice the wires together (just like the pump PG sent to me). the flojet # is: LF152421 you can get the conector at any auto parts store

Runner
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
LOL. I talked with TSC again today (before these other posts) and they did not have the 1 gpm in stock...wouldn't have one until Monday. I didn't even SEE this pump on their(TSC) website, and when I punched these numbers in (John at Permagreen told me what model it was), I got nothing.
I JUST .bought the pump at Lesco just a while ago. I was going to just have them (Lesco)order it, and when I called back, the manager said he just happened to have one sitting there. The pump # I got is the same as the one you just stated (LF152421). If I could find one of these cheaper, I would do it - short of spending an hour on the road returning and purchasing a new one. It looks like I am stuck with this one...but I will SURE know for next time.
I am glad we did this thread, and I want to thank all of you for all the info. This thread will now be helpful to many others as these key words will now be available in the search feature (I was surprised how few threads I got searching on this subject).

DUSTYCEDAR
06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
u almost have to use the same pump or be real creative with the space they give u to slip it in there

teeca
06-13-2007, 06:44 PM
runner.. try www.dultmeier.com they ship fast (and their a wholesaler). if you order today (or thursday) it'l be their monday when ever ups stops by.

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 07:21 PM
We run a 3.0 gpm pump w/motorcycle battery and get solid spray on all surfaces (weeds). Even ground ivy 'fries'. Sent pic to TLS tonight and also posted a pic earlier. You need a larger pump which will NOT fit underneath like the original. I say, do what we did -- mount a larger pump + 12V motorcycle battery on the "driver's side" of your unit. We use the red nozzles. No more "spitting of product, and no more "double-passes".

theturfboss
06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
We run a 3.0 gpm pump w/motorcycle battery and get solid spray on all surfaces (weeds). Even ground ivy 'fries'. Sent pic to TLS tonight and also posted a pic earlier. You need a larger pump which will NOT fit underneath like the original. I say, do what we did -- mount a larger pump + 12V motorcycle battery on the "driver's side" of your unit. We use the red nozzles. No more "spitting of product, and no more "double-passes".

Americanlawn-Do you get the same volume from the nozzles when you spray as the 1 gallon pump does? We still use 1 gallon pumps (but have the battery) and are putting out 30 oz. per 1000 (High speed nozzles).
Chris