PDA

View Full Version : Drought in OH

rcreech
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I started my LC business about three years ago but just went full time this spring (great year to do this huh). Due to the early drought, I wasn't able to complete round 2 and it looks like with the continued drought there won't be any more applications until we get a rain. Just wondered what you all are doing if you are in the same situation. Need some $ to come in, but not sure what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ThreeWide
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I started my LC business about three years ago but just went full time this spring (great year to do this huh). Due to the early drought, I wasn't able to complete round 2 and it looks like with the continued drought there won't be any more applications until we get a rain. Just wondered what you all are doing if you are in the same situation. Need some $ to come in, but not sure what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You might consider doing something like a straight Nitroform application in such conditions. I had to go that route last year during the drought. It will not burn, and will help the turf once conditions improve.

rcreech
06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks!

I talked to my Lesco rep and his concern was the traffic. He was concerned I would damage the lawns when driving on them with the PG. Also I don't want to tick off my customers. Here we are in a drought and I am out driving on their lawn applying product. How do you handle these situations?

Victor
06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been putting down 19-0-19 on the lawns of my customers who don't want to pay for an application of Allectus (insect protection) instead. The 19-0-19 I've been using has a lot of advantages to it for this time of year. To name a few, it's a 100% slow-release product. Because of this, it will just sit on my customer's lawns and do nothing until it's activated by moisture. No dessication, or anything to worry about. The nitrogen source of this product is Balanced Chain Methylene Urea (BCMU). The potassium source is sulphate of potash (SOP). That's yet another perk this product has for Summertime use (doesn't introduce as much salt to the lawn as potassium chloride would for example).

Another nice perk to this product, is the small size of the prills (145 SGN). Because the prills are so small, it still flows exceptionally well at reduced Summertime application rates. I also get this stuff at a great price.

Luckily, none of my lawns have been too stressed to walk on. That rain we had a week, or so ago really helped out a lot. What part of Ohio are you in?

rcreech
06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Victor,
Thanks for the reply. I just looked at your pond pics you have posted. Very impressive. I was looking at putting in a pond in the next few weeks, but may wait now and conserve some $.
Anyway, I am close to Eaton just South of 70. I watched the rains all brake up on the IN line (where I am) and then go back together and hit you guys good. You are very fortunate to have caught that. We are in serious trouble here! When we walk on our lawns it crunch's and leaves foot prints. Next chance of rain in next Tue and it is only 60%.

Victor
06-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I feel for you. We did get lucky with that reprieve. If your lawns are that crispy, I'd definitely keep off of them. I really hope you guys get some of that rain that's coming. I'd do a rain dance if I thought it'd help. Hang in there.

Thanks for the good words on my pond. It's funny you mentioned it, as I was out there doing some pond maintenance tonight. I sure pulled some NASTY, NASTY stuff out of the vortex! I almost fed the fish there a couple of times. :laugh:

bntt68
06-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Where do you find the 19-0-19 with the sulfate of potash? Thanks

Victor
06-13-2007, 09:37 AM
UAP has it. :)

sprayboy
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Very dry here, southeast of Indianapolis, lawns are pretty much brown and crunchy. I have had less than 2 inches of rain in the last 7 weeks, which came in light scattered amounts. Seen some guys mowing the other day, just blowing dust and making tracks. I can only wonder if they will get paid or lose the account.

Victor
06-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Very dry here, southeast of Indianapolis, lawns are pretty much brown and crunchy. I have had less than 2 inches of rain in the last 7 weeks, which came in light scattered amounts. Seen some guys mowing the other day, just blowing dust and making tracks. I can only wonder if they will get paid or lose the account.

I'd bet they'll lose that account.

ampeg76
06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
UAP has it. :)

sounds like a good product, i love SOP, and the 1-0-1 ratio, good stuff for stressed lawns, SGN also provides excellent coverage!

Victor
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
I love the stuff. It spreads like sugar. You get great coverage with that stuff, especially compared to some of the larger SGN products, which can almost be like throwing bowling balls out on customer's lawns.

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Vic -- bone dry here too in central Iowa. Cracks in the soil + drought stress setting up. Talked to TLS in Indiana....same o same o. Most educated home owners know, but I'm anticipating many "service calls" soon. We are having difficulty putting our lawn flags in the ground now -- trying to find cracks in the soil or else right next to the sidewalks. So far, even "irrigated lawns" have not used their systems. I guess that's human nature. Oh well. Good luck to all. Nice posts!

bntt68
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
This will be the 3rd year in a row like this for me here in IL. Very discouraging.None of our properties are on irragation unless they drag the sprinkler around. Just one good deep watering a week would be nice. They have been warned though.

rcreech
06-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry to see that some of you are in the same boat. I guess my original question when starting this was...what do you do when it gets dry and you can't work? Is there anything you can do to get some income. Do I just need to go be a Wal-Mart greeter (ha ha). Looking at the weather it could be Aug or Sept until we get to apply again. Just curious to what you all do when you can't work? Any help would be great.

mrkosar
06-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry to see that some of you are in the same boat. I guess my original question when starting this was...what do you do when it gets dry and you can't work? Is there anything you can do to get some income. Do I just need to go be a Wal-Mart greeter (ha ha). Looking at the weather it could be Aug or Sept until we get to apply again. Just curious to what you all do when you can't work? Any help would be great.

most companies continue to do applications, but make sure to spot treat weeds instead of blanket spray. then, there are others that will still blanket treat with a diluted herbicide. if a majority of your customers irrigate you have to continue to fertilize. if the customers don't irrigate, well, some might complain, but we can't control mother nature. i apply fert/weed control every 6-8 weeks. i try to get out there early the morning when it is this hot and dry, and be done by 1 if possible just to make sure not to fry a lawn. they sure are crispy right now...and no rain coming this way for a week at least. it could get real nasty this year.

americanlawn
06-14-2007, 06:33 PM
rcreech -- During drought, we might temporarily pull off our big machines, but we keep applying. We use slow-release granular fert, then spot spray. If the lawn is weedy (new customer), we also pull out the hose & spray for broadleaves (no extra charge). Do not be afraid of treating lawns during drought, cuz eventually you will get rain. Keep in mind that you are in business to make money, and if you use the right stuff, you are not doing any injustice to your customers. During drought, it's the "mowing companies" I have a problem with. Good luck dude.

RigglePLC
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Been dry for 12 days and temp was 87 today. We keep applying--hoping it will rain or their irrigation will kick in. Blanket spray.

However---this weather is a perfect set up for summer weeds and crabgrass. A hot hot dry spell that thins the lawns, followed by a good rain and more heat really stimulates crabgrass and spurge. Only thing worse is if the dryspell was a little later --because the pre-emergent would have dissapated to a greater degree.

sprayboy
06-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Been dry for 12 days and temp was 87 today. We keep applying--hoping it will rain or their irrigation will kick in. Blanket spray.

However---this weather is a perfect set up for summer weeds and crabgrass. A hot hot dry spell that thins the lawns, followed by a good rain and more heat really stimulates crabgrass and spurge. Only thing worse is if the dryspell was a little later --because the pre-emergent would have dissapated to a greater degree.

I wish it was only 12 days here. We have some areas that have been dry for over 40 days. I would think areas in the south have been longer, with the severe drought down there.

PR Fect
06-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Thanks!

Go out and pre-sell snow plow accounts? Hope you get the needed rain.

rcreech
06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the input.
I am going to sit tight as we have a 40% chance of rain three days this week. If we don't get these rains our crops and lawns will probably be shot as they said we are going to be in a "severe drought" by the middle of next week. We have gotten about 1.5" of rain over the last 60 days and been in the mid to high 80's, and calling for 90's next week. Guess I will go work at Walmart for the summer and plan on seeding a ton of lawns in the fall.
Victor,
I am not too far from you and would like to talk to you sometime. What would be a good way to get in touch with you?