PDA

View Full Version : Nutsedge Control

Victor
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
For all of the newer applicators on this forum that don't know this, June is a great month to control the nutsedge in your customer's lawns.

Because of the dry weather we've had this year, I'm not surprised that I've seen very little of it. What little nutsedge I HAVE seen though, I've been jumping on and knocking out.

sildoc
06-12-2007, 10:52 PM
must be nice. it is out in force here.

Victor
06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm jealous of all the rain you're getting up there. They're saying we've got a 0% chance of rain in the next 6 days here last I heard.

sildoc
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
this week 0 percent but dosent matter most every one has irrgation. Nice thought to have rain though.

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 05:37 AM
It's been up and thriving in SC. My neighbor had a real bad patch of green kyliinga--GONE NOW . If anyone needs help--let me know. Sedgehammer is good but there is a much better product.
Roy

gregory
06-13-2007, 07:03 AM
what are you using.i have used mange

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
what are you using.i have used mange

Greg: Mange will take the hair right off the dog. Couldn't resist. I know you that you intended manage. Same stuff as "Sedgehammer" Look at some previous post. Another product "Dismiss" is great. Drawback is the cost. 1 oz. will cover 5000 sq ft. at a gal/'K on centipede or .027/K on St. Augustine according to label.
I did some trials on Basagran and Sedgehammer. Sprayed one patch in a vacant lost with just Basagran--marked with with some concrete in a 4 X 4 square, another with Sedgehammer, and yet another with both. Marked off another 10 X 10 area with "Dismiss" Nothing happened after two days in the Basagran and Sedgehammer test but the "Dismiss" spot was turning yellow with brown spots. No rain on neither of the test area. I had to leave for a couple of weeks and checked them. Dismiss area had turned really brown with stubble and the others were still yellowing and browning. I'm just guessing that there was a 90-95% kill on the Dismiss and the Basagram and Sedgehammer combo was going to be similar with a much longer time frame. I'll check them out again this coming weekend and have more results.
Back to the cost of "Dismiss". I read that FMC Corp is going to release a 6oz.bottle as well as the 16oz size which would make it very cost effective.
I'm not sure of this: All three of the trials were leaf absorbents and letting the sedge grow and not mowing it helped. I'd like to know if Root Uptake of the chems was in the formula but can't really tell by the label or formulation--I've got to call the company on that one--I'm lazy.
Manage (Sedgehammer has a 6 hour use cycle. Ric told me that. The "Dismiss" label recommends no sticker as with Sedgehammer. Don't get me wrong--I do like Sedgehammer, and would use it again. All test were spot treated with a handheld sprayer with a few fine droplet on a still day. I think if the leaf uptake theory is right that applying during the evening hours to prevent evaporation would be beneficial.
If you're still awake from reading, good luck. But give the "Dismiss" in the small bottle a try.
Roy

unit28
06-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Image nutsedge killer works. Takes a month for a complete knockout but it has worked for me.

Works really well in those overwatered landscape beds too.

gregory
06-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Greg: Mange will take the hair right off the dog. Couldn't resist. I know you that you intended manage. Same stuff as "Sedgehammer" Look at some previous post. Another product "Dismiss" is great. Drawback is the cost. 1 oz. will cover 5000 sq ft. at a gal/'K on centipede or .027/K on St. Augustine according to label.
I did some trials on Basagran and Sedgehammer. Sprayed one patch in a vacant lost with just Basagran--marked with with some concrete in a 4 X 4 square, another with Sedgehammer, and yet another with both. Marked off another 10 X 10 area with "Dismiss" Nothing happened after two days in the Basagran and Sedgehammer test but the "Dismiss" spot was turning yellow with brown spots. No rain on neither of the test area. I had to leave for a couple of weeks and checked them. Dismiss area had turned really brown with stubble and the others were still yellowing and browning. I'm just guessing that there was a 90-95% kill on the Dismiss and the Basagram and Sedgehammer combo was going to be similar with a much longer time frame. I'll check them out again this coming weekend and have more results.
Back to the cost of "Dismiss". I read that FMC Corp is going to release a 6oz.bottle as well as the 16oz size which would make it very cost effective.
I'm not sure of this: All three of the trials were leaf absorbents and letting the sedge grow and not mowing it helped. I'd like to know if Root Uptake of the chems was in the formula but can't really tell by the label or formulation--I've got to call the company on that one--I'm lazy.
Manage (Sedgehammer has a 6 hour use cycle. Ric told me that. The "Dismiss" label recommends no sticker as with Sedgehammer. Don't get me wrong--I do like Sedgehammer, and would use it again. All test were spot treated with a handheld sprayer with a few fine droplet on a still day. I think if the leaf uptake theory is right that applying during the evening hours to prevent evaporation would be beneficial.
If you're still awake from reading, good luck. But give the "Dismiss" in the small bottle a try.
Roy

tks for cutting me some slack i just woke up when i typed that..i will have to give dismiss a try...tks for the info

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Image nutsedge killer works. Takes a month for a complete knockout but it has worked for me.

Works really well in those overwatered landscape beds too.

Did you use the hose-end applicator? I used some a couple of years ago. Liked it but you're right it took a long time. I was going after "Dollarweed"
Roy

Ric
06-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Yo

IMHO

Manage (Sledge Hammer) works well on Yellow Nutsedge and does some good on Purple. It must be used in the first 4 hours after mixing.

Image works great on Purple Nutsedge and controls yellow nutsedge also.

Basagram does a better job on kyliinga.

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Ric:
Look at that post "Soil Testing" Your expertise is needed,
Roy

lilmarvin4064
06-13-2007, 12:08 PM
anyone try mixing Dismiss with either the basagran or sedgehammer?

unit28
06-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Image will control kyllingya also, BUT
I found better use of the pre-m to disolve those issues before they arise.

Not sure of Basagram in the lawn, only use it in beds myself for some broadleaf issues.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
i hate that sedge and with all the rain we have gotten its everywhere i am thankfull for the rain:)

americanlawn
06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks vic - you know your stuff. It's emerging here too in the past 2 weeks. Also "hats off" to RAImaroad, cuz he's really in to it as well (nice post). I think the key is using a fine mist when the nutsedge is tall--then not mowing for 3 or 4 days. Spreader/sticker too?? Thanks guys.

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Image will control kyllingya also, BUT
I found better use of the pre-m to dissolve those issues before they arise.

Not sure of Basagram in the lawn, only use it in beds myself for some broadleaf issues.

Please don't take offense but, Pre-em is for seeds. True both purple and yellow nutsedge produce and spreads from a few seeds that pre-em might knock out, BUT both of those sedges spread mainly from the nutlet or rhimozones on the roots. These are also perennial plants. Image work wells on the yellow and purple sedges after a second application in about a month. Now green kyliinga is different--There's actually three types of it--one (Fragrant Green Kyliinga) even smell great when you break it. There are few nutlets on it and "Image" or Imaquine is not very effective. Basagran and Sedgehammer together does a little better, but still no prize. So far in all of the tests I'm doing ""Dismiss" from FMC is very promising. These tests are under non-irrigation means and only water is from natural rain in coastal SC.
Congratulations on using the pre-em to get rid of the kyliinga now--I'd almost bet that you havn't seen the last of it. In SC with the sand, a lot of watering is necessary--about a inch and a half per week is necessary. I break it up to two sessions. But I still spritz (10 minutes) my lawn every day in the evening to cool off the upper layer. Lawn does look like a carpet. I'm also a proponent of bagging those seeds when mowing with a strong high vac mower.

Keep us posted,
Roy
In the battle of weeds, loosing is not an option

sildoc
06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
I have been using Msma with good results. It is much more economic compared to sedgehammer or manage.

jose85
06-13-2007, 10:06 PM
ok i used Dismiss Last year when it came out 1 month i got from lesco to try out and only paid half price at that time...and its by far the best for yellow nutsedge....and i used manage didnt like it...and certainity if u dont want to buy dismiss because of the price....then use certanity to save you time,,,0.2 cents...we have alot of nutsedge this year cause all of the rain here in oklahoma city

PSUTURFGEEK
06-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Just from experience with both, dismiss is an excellent product, at the full rate it will go after the actual nutlet, some think Q4 is the answer but if you look closely at the label the amount of sulfentrizone which is the active in dismiss is only about 2oz/ acre which is not enough to go after the nutlet.
Also if you spend 400.00 plus dollars on 4 bottles of sedgehammer you will get four acres of control, if you spend 140.00 on dismiss you get 4 acres of control save yourself a bunch of money and not only that you can get broadleaf weeds with dismiss so no need to have a seperate backpack on hand when going over a property. it's really a no brainer.
As far as MSMA goes it is cheap but you gotta be really careful cause the label sucks and it can do some serious damage in the wrong hands.

Victor
06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks vic - you know your stuff. It's emerging here too in the past 2 weeks. Also "hats off" to RAImaroad, cuz he's really in to it as well (nice post). I think the key is using a fine mist when the nutsedge is tall--then not mowing for 3 or 4 days. Spreader/sticker too?? Thanks guys.

Hi Larry. Thanks for the nice compliment, but compared to you and tons of other members that frequent this forum, my knowledge isn't very impressive at all. I appreciate the good words though Buddy. I really do hope you guys get some rain soon. It sure sounds like you could use it :)

gregory
06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
can you use dismiss on st augstine? its not on the label..

jose85
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Just from experience with both, dismiss is an excellent product, at the full rate it will go after the actual nutlet, some think Q4 is the answer but if you look closely at the label the amount of sulfentrizone which is the active in dismiss is only about 2oz/ acre which is not enough to go after the nutlet.
Also if you spend 400.00 plus dollars on 4 bottles of sedgehammer you will get four acres of control, if you spend 140.00 on dismiss you get 4 acres of control save yourself a bunch of money and not only that you can get broadleaf weeds with dismiss so no need to have a seperate backpack on hand when going over a property. it's really a no brainer.
As far as MSMA goes it is cheap but you gotta be really careful cause the label sucks and it can do some serious damage in the wrong hands.

yep...you said what i wanted to say lol.....i agree with u 100 % dismiss is by far the best of nutsedge...and like he says...it will kill broadleaf too

sildoc
06-13-2007, 10:51 PM

This is true but works well on crab and sedge if mixed properly. Watch the temps and let her fly. I tried manage before they sold and came out with sedgehammer. Not worth the price for the amount that I use it. I use it to maintain my properties I maintain and only those.

RAlmaroad
06-14-2007, 05:59 AM
can you use dismiss on st augstine? its not on the label..

FMC has an updated label--It is on the new label and OK to use on St. Augustine at .027/K
Roy

unit28
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Please don't take offense but, Pre-em is for seeds. True both purple and yellow nutsedge produce and spreads from a few seeds that pre-em might knock out, BUT both of those sedges spread mainly from the nutlet or rhimozones on the roots. These are also perennial plants. Image work wells on the yellow and purple sedges after a second application in about a month. ........ Keep us posted,
Roy
In the battle of weeds, loosing is not an option
I was only refering to the kiilling yaz LOL for pre-m.

lorensanders
06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Im Using CERTAINTY ... Works Very Affective But Quite Pricey. 100.00 For A Pint Of Granular 1 Gram Per Gallon....anyone Reccommend Anything Cheaper That Works As Good

Rayholio
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Has anyone experiminented with Q4? does it get as good of a kill as Sedge Hammer?

Victor
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone experiminented with Q4? does it get as good of a kill as Sedge Hammer?

I've been using Q4 in my backpack. That way, when I'm out doing apps and I need to spot-spray, I know that I'm covered whether I come across not only broadleaf weeds, but a lot of grassy weeds also. Because of the Sulfentrazone in Q4, I've had great luck using it on nutsedge (especially in June, since June's the best time of year to knock out nutsedge). I learned about efficacy of Sulfentrazone on sedges at last year's OSU "Turf Field Day." They were right when they said it works great on sedges.

lawn king
06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
For all of the newer applicators on this forum that don't know this, June is a great month to control the nutsedge in your customer's lawns.

Because of the dry weather we've had this year, I'm not surprised that I've seen very little of it. What little nutsedge I HAVE seen though, I've been jumping on and knocking out.

Same here, very little. I attribute this to our weather and all the treating we have done in the past.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Here's the deal with Q4, It's a great product for crabgrass, weed control and nutsedge control, but here's the downside if you read the label carefully the active amount of sulfentrizone/dismiss is like 2oz/acre you need to be at double that to kill nutsedge completely, and I mean going after the nutlet.
Also, the label says nutsedge suppression only, this means Q4 will not go after the nutlet unless you spike it. Drive75 and dismiss is my favorite combo once you figuire out the cost of spiking the Q4 youv'e already purchased.

ATVracer
08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
How late in the season is too late for nutsedge control? Thanks!

bug-guy
08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
FMC has an updated label--It is on the new label and OK to use on St. Augustine at .027/K

does anybody else think if you can kill weeds listed at the low rate for bahia and bermuda why do you need to use it at the higher rate in st aug. i'd perfer a slower kill over a fast burn off. i'm still experimenting w/dismiss in my mixed lawn

indyturf
08-11-2007, 09:41 PM
How late in the season is too late for nutsedge control? Thanks!

As long as its growing you can control it.

patterson
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
This late in the season, you can knock the tops down on the yellow nutsedge, but it will be back next year. I don't know about elsewhere in the country but here in the Mid west nutsedge must be sprayed prior to the summer solstice to completely kill the plant.

americanlawn
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
This late in the season, you can knock the tops down on the yellow nutsedge, but it will be back next year. I don't know about elsewhere in the country but here in the Mid west nutsedge must be sprayed prior to the summer solstice to completely kill the plant.

I just got off the phone with my trusted UAP guy........he says Q4 is good, but don't get your hopes up - especially regarding nutsedge. He gets feedback from guys like us. So I figure I'll spike it wilth manage or Sledgehammer plus LI-700 spreader/sticker (UAP).:usflag: