PDA

View Full Version : Trailer - Enclosed or Utility?

Mad_Russian776
06-13-2007, 12:19 AM
What do you all suggest, enclosed or an open utility trailer.

Enclosed trailer will be nice for easy storage/convenient storage or equipment. While the open utility trailer would be more practical for hauling.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-13-2007, 01:48 AM
It all depends. Things to consider are: the amount of customers you have, your willingness to be in the business for the long run, and if you'll be able to handle it, financially. I started out with a 14" utility trailer, but I am now the proud owner of an enclosed trailer. I also have a 16' utility trailer for the purpose of hauling brush away. Two things that catch my attention: with an enclosed trailer, all of your equipment is locked up (considering you keep it locked) and also, an enclosed trailer keeps all of your equipment out of the weather. Leaving your equipment out in the weather is not necessarily bad, but after a few hot summers, your equipment will show more wear and tear than it would being covered. Just my opinion.

One thing I would do if I could go back - is buy a bigger trailer. Never put off the idea of your business expanding and having more equipment. Good luck.

POPO4995
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I have open utility trailers but am considering purchasing an enclosed. I hate when it starts raining and everything gets nasty with grass, leaves, etc. Maybe a 8x24 Pace American would look nice...:rolleyes:

kc2323
06-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I say both, but I would actually start with an open trailer first especially if you are just starting out. Right now I have both and 8.5x16 enclosed then 6.5x14 open. I started out with the open for cost reasons because with an open you can do more haul brush, mulch, put your mowers on you get the point. As I grew I then purchased the enclosed and let me tell you it is awesome I love having the enclosed if you do any bigger job sites its really nice can shut everything lock it up and not have to worry and then for rain and other reasons I much prefer it but I would start with an open so you do not limit your jobs you can do and then as you grow get the enclosed.

Mad_Russian776
06-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the insight. You have a good point KC, starting out with the open trailer probably makes the most sense.

TXNSLighting
06-13-2007, 05:34 PM
ive now got both. open is great for mulch and plants and cleanups and enclosed is great for securing your equiment. but i had open to start wth. im glad i now have both.

rakeck
06-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd have to agree ... start with a utility trailer, the more sides (heigth wise) you can get affordably, get them, and by all means get as much length as you can afford (within reason)... you'll kick yourself for getting the one that was 2 foot shorter just to save a few hundred dollars, then later find you need 10 more inches to get your new equipment additions to all fit on board. Also, look at ATV trailers that have a front, side ramp, too.

You'll have more options with a utility, and you'll eventually need one anyway if you're successful, so do it now and save some money, because you'll need that extra grand and a half or so, for other stuff, trust me.

just make sure you're insured well against theft ... open trailers with shiney new high-end ZTR mowers and other such equipment get a lot of "attention"

GravyTrain
06-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I purchased an open trailer with one foot sides. The trailer is 6'4" by 12" and I love it. I've got a 48" walk behind, two push mowers and I've got plenty of room to put my trimmers, edger, blower and two gas cans on the trailer as well with plenty of room to spare. If I had to get a different trailer, I'd get the same one again. I will also say....spend the extra money on a good quality trailer. Here's my story on my trailer adventure Link --> http://www.ortort.com/mar07.html.

Due to storage restrictions (we just sold our house and are going to be renting an apartment) I'm going to be getting an enclosed trailer for security but will miss the open trailer usage for sure.