PDA

View Full Version : 23 Kawi oil questions...

Rowski
06-13-2007, 06:53 AM
I've seached the forums and only become more confused.

I'm just over the "break-in" oil change interval (5hrs) on my JD 737 with 23hp Kawi.

Questions:

1) Should it have 10w30 or 10w40? The manual says it could be either?

2) When to switch to synthetic?

I'm my searches I found a thread about oil that talked about different multi weight oils. I believe Evny had a large part in that thread. I can't find it. Anybody know the thread I'm talking about.

Thanks

Derek

Nosmo
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
My manual for the 23 HP shows several options. I believe the main reason for the choice in using the heavier weight oil is the outside temperature . They use a temperature chart and suggestions for viscosities in various range of heat.

treemonkey
06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Good luck getting any agreement on oil recommendations. Many anecdotal stories will reveal great results with all types and all weights (within reason). My 23 Kawasaki engine manual that came with my Exmark shows several viscosities and implies that straight 30 is preferred and multi-viscosity "may" have more consumption (a call to Kawi confirmed this statement). Again, stories told here will differ.

A search in the "mechanical repair" section will yield some threads. The general trend that shows up is that Kawasaki recommends straight 30 weight while Kohler recommends 10w30 for it's OHV engines. JD often lists weights different than the engine mfg..

There are also split opinions on when to start synthetic. Some say since Corvettes come from the factory with synthetic, it's o.k. to use it from the get-go. Old school thought is to run your engine on Dino for awhile before going synthetic. I saw 50 hrs. mentioned in some very old Exmark page threads. Just depends on how YOU feel about it. Tough to find any FACTS vs. opinions.

There's an interesting current thread at bobistheoilguy.com regarding oil viscosities and SM oils for small engines. A lot of different opinions but no oil analysis to back anything up.

65hoss
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I own 2 23 kawi motors. I have run Shell Rotella 15w-40 in both. One has 1300 hours and the other 1200 hours. Neither use a drop of oil and both run like they did when new.

Daneman
06-13-2007, 11:50 PM
All my Kawis I run SAE30, no multi-viscosity oil as per the owner's manual

topsites
06-14-2007, 02:23 AM
I run all of mine 8 hours for the break in period, then I switch to synth.

Either 10w-30 or 10w-40 dyno is what the manual recommends.

I was and am running 10w-30 synth, but since synth doesn't thin out like dyno does when the engine gets hot, I'm switching to 5w-30 and I know guys running Amsoil 0w-20 in their cars.

Your choice, but I would run synth, it's extra anti-seize protection.

Restrorob
06-14-2007, 08:16 AM
What the OEM's are calling a low hour (8/10hrs) "break-in" oil change is only to remove any machining/assembly contaminates that may have been left in the engine.

That is not a full ring seating break-in period. The schools I have attended over the years (all brands) the OEM's stated a true ring seating break-in time of at-least 50 hours, AFTER this time one can switch to synthetic if desired.

Had this saved (handy) so won't post every OEM's oil recommendations.

Look at the 'Notes" at the bottom.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kohler/KohlerOilRecommendations.jpg

Take this post how ever you like........Let the oil wars begin !