PDA

View Full Version : Overgrown Lot Equipment

rakeck
06-13-2007, 06:52 AM
If a person wanted to be able to bid overgrown lots, what would be the recommended equipment to have use of? After such a wet late spring and possible wetter than normal upcoming summer, there are so many lots around that generally nobody wants to touch.

I'm speaking of vastly overgrown lots of generally less than 1 acre, with weeds with 3/4" diameter stalks X 4 foot high, clumps of johnson grass 12-18" high, 2' high saplings, etc, and generally tall grass otherwise.

Also, I'm trying avoid getting into the cost of a tractor/brush hog combo and the necessary trailering needs.

Are heavy duty walk-behinds an option? Or, are there specialized h-d equipment? (mower/shredder/mulcher rigs) In the mean time, I'm going to look into what can be rented in so far as tractor/mower combo (and trailer)

thanks in advance

rakeck
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
I found the DR Field and Brush Mower and this may be the answer if it works as advertised. Then, would almost need to specialize in overgrown lots to pay for it's cost, although it does have a 42 inch mower attatchment option that could serve as a back-up mower in a pinch in a lawn mowing service application.

Anyone have any experience with the DR field and brush mower (30" commercial) who can comment on the machines abilities, weaknesses, etc?

Thanks

rakeck
06-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Most of the comments regarding the DR field and brush mower are very negative but date back several years. I wonder if there have been any significant improvements to these machines of late?

green1advantage
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
i do believe that Ferris makes a brush mower, i have never used one on seen it at a few shows. id been looking at the same idea after i did an over grown lot last week and bid another this week

rakeck
06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
After doing a lot of web research, I've found several other similar knock-offs of the DR original. Just need to decide based upon factors such as warranty, distance to support/sales, cost, etc.

Here, everybody and their brother has a small tractor/cutter combo or knows someone who does, so, I'll have to focus my efforts on smaller lots with limited access, that are well suited to these walk behind "field & brush cutter" mowers, charge "hazard pay" rates, put on my leather leggings, and see what happens.

Grits
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Billy Goat brush mower. I have used one and liked it a lot.

Grits
06-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Don't get a DR field and brush mower. It is for residential use and cost as much or more than a true commercial unit. Albeit, heavy duty residential use.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I use a 43 hp john deere tractor with a 5 ft rotary cutter (bush hog) This machine makes me a decent piece of change. But it also costs up the wazoo.

workinallthetime
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
i did 10 acres at 50.00 and hour of just what your talking about with my kubota zd326 (26 hp,diesel, 60" zero turn mower, $11,500) took me about 5 hours and looked like he!!. I have that lot all summer now and cant complain, they pay cash. I dont think a gas ztr could have done it and lived and it was a by the hour job so i didnt care how long it took. I have a kubota b3030 tractor but no hog for it yet.