PDA

View Full Version : What Rain Can Do

puppypaws
06-13-2007, 07:54 AM
This is the difference in rain from tropical storm Barry.

Believe me we need more but this is a lot better than it has been.

Grass went down and the weeds keep growing, kinda amazing.

fargoboy
06-13-2007, 11:21 AM
be there tomorrow with my combine

RedMax Man
06-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Corn looks good, about the same size here.

KS_Grasscutter
06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
That corn looks REALLY good. Wish we could grow it like that around here. About the best dryland corn we can get is 120 bu/ac or so.

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
That corn looks REALLY good. Wish we could grow it like that around here. About the best dryland corn we can get is 120 bu/ac or so.

The corn you saw looks like this now and dry weather hurt it but it still averaged 123 bu. ac. and I don't really see how, we broke records for heat and drought. They recorded this highest temperature ever in this area, 105 with a heat index of 119.

Here are some pictures!

KTO Enterprises
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
whoo hooo Im all hot and bothered seeing all those green machines

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 10:10 PM
The corn you saw looks like this now and dry weather hurt it but it still averaged 123 bu. ac. and I don't really see how, we broke records for heat and drought. They recorded this highest temperature ever in this area, 105 with a heat index of 119.

Here are some pictures!

Few more pictures!

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
whoo hooo Im all hot and bothered seeing all those green machines

Come and ride in one and I will cool you off, they have real good air conditioners.

You better hurry though, the rest of the corn will be cut and delivered to the feed mill 5 miles from my house tomorrow and ground into feed to come right straight back to my chickens in the next day or two.

KTO Enterprises
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Is the track one an 8030 or a 9030?

Wonder how that would do pulling a bush hog.

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

8410 and it will pull fine, the compaction factor with the added traction is the primary purpose.

Pro-Scapes
09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
what you guys gettin for them chickens up there.its about 32 cents a bird here. Any water leaks with the storm cause ya probs ?.. nice farm.

Man we harvested corn over 6 weeks ago! G90 and merit... Prolly didnt get the yield yall get tho. Just hobby farm.

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM
what you guys gettin for them chickens up there.its about 32 cents a bird here. Any water leaks with the storm cause ya probs ?.. nice farm.

Man we harvested corn over 6 weeks ago! G90 and merit... Prolly didnt get the yield yall get tho. Just hobby farm.

I grow for Pilgrim Pride and the average weight last year with 9 week old chickens was 8.26 lbs. on my farm with the pay per chicken being .454 cents.

P.Services
09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
holy crap thats all a chiken costs! .32 cents wow, how many birds do you guys move a year.that just seems way to cheap.

puppypaws
09-05-2007, 11:30 PM
holy crap thats all a chiken costs! .32 cents wow, how many birds do you guys move a year.that just seems way to cheap.

I place 72,000 to 75,000 5 times a year but $.45 is considerably better than $.32.

Pro-Scapes
09-06-2007, 08:20 AM

now mind ya wayne and sanderson and pico all provide the birds and feed for that. With a low cull rate 4 good houses should move around 500-600k birds per year in 6.5 loads. its 7weeks growth time and 1 week to flip the houses usually. Broilers grow for about 7 weeks. Average size is a bit smaller than yours. Im guessing our heating costs in winter might be a bit higher??? If you can get on NG vs propane and drill wells vs city water your gonna save a ton of money. 2 weeks less grow time comes out to be about the same cost per chicken. I assume your not growing broilers ?

puppypaws
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
now mind ya wayne and sanderson and pico all provide the birds and feed for that. With a low cull rate 4 good houses should move around 500-600k birds per year in 6.5 loads. its 7weeks growth time and 1 week to flip the houses usually. Broilers grow for about 7 weeks. Average size is a bit smaller than yours. Im guessing our heating costs in winter might be a bit higher??? If you can get on NG vs propane and drill wells vs city water your gonna save a ton of money. 2 weeks less grow time comes out to be about the same cost per chicken. I assume your not growing broilers ?

They call heavy broilers but they are further processed so they want all the meat they can get. These houses are state of the art with the newest technology known at this time. I have 10" of insulation in the walls and 20" in the dropped ceilings, there is 13 50" tunnel fans and 6" recirculating cool cells in each house. Everything is computer controlled but you need this to keep these big chickens alive when it gets to a hundred degrees outside. The chickens I have now will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and the temperature is going to be 96 with a heat index of 101 today so I pay pretty close attention.
Chickens are harder to raise after they pass 8 weeks because they are generating so much more body heat.

puppypaws
09-06-2007, 07:00 PM

This is what I use to bush hog, cut about 65 acres of corn stalks today.

KTO Enterprises
09-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Thats a sweet machine. I wish I had work that justified a wing mower. I could charge the same rate per acre and cut time in more than half. I just have no use for anything wider than 5'.

puppypaws
09-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Thats a sweet machine. I wish I had work that justified a wing mower. I could charge the same rate per acre and cut time in more than half. I just have no use for anything wider than 5'.

Yep, you got to have a lot of open area to justify a wing cutter.

I had the Super Z cutting before dark moving the corn cobs and shucks out of my mowing areas. I just keep grinding them up and moving them in one direction until I put all the residue back in the fields. Now that is one thing I like about speed, I cut one way turn around and run 15 mph back a few hundred feet, turn around and do it all over again. I would hate to go through that procedure with a slow mower, I probably would by a three point hitch blower, put it on a tractor and blow it back like they do leaves on a golf course.

KTO Enterprises
09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I have it where my walk behind blower will mount to the back of my scag. A setup like that may help you.

Pro-Scapes
09-07-2007, 07:51 AM
They call heavy broilers but they are further processed so they want all the meat they can get. These houses are state of the art with the newest technology known at this time. I have 10" of insulation in the walls and 20" in the dropped ceilings, there is 13 50" tunnel fans and 6" recirculating cool cells in each house. Everything is computer controlled but you need this to keep these big chickens alive when it gets to a hundred degrees outside. The chickens I have now will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and the temperature is going to be 96 with a heat index of 101 today so I pay pretty close attention.
Chickens are harder to raise after they pass 8 weeks because they are generating so much more body heat.

I can just imagine. Different houses here have diff fan set ups... most around the 12-14 range. THe extra $$$ you spent to build your houses will pay off with a lower cull rate and energy savings.

Friend had a water leak in his house... hose blew and he lost over 400 in one area over night. If your gonna do this you gotta keep things working right.

puppypaws
09-07-2007, 06:23 PM
I can just imagine. Different houses here have diff fan set ups... most around the 12-14 range. THe extra $$$ you spent to build your houses will pay off with a lower cull rate and energy savings.

Friend had a water leak in his house... hose blew and he lost over 400 in one area over night. If your gonna do this you gotta keep things working right.

You can do the best you possibly can and still have problems, the one I hate most is a water spill, it is such a nasty mess. I try to make everything as bullet proof as possible but things still happen. I have an alarm system that if a problem with water, temperature or power arises it will first call my pager, then my cell phone and if no answer it calls my home phone within a minute.
I can also call into the system from anywhere in the world and it will give me information of the environment inside the houses.

There is a lot more involved in putting food on tables than most people could ever believe.

Pro-Scapes
09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
no doubt... People dont realize when they pull into KFC how much technology and work was involved with growing that chicken.

Most new houses round here are advanced like that. Will raise and lower the curtins on the cool cells automatically... turn on and off fans as needed. Cycle the food pumps on as programmed in the propper proportions.

Any issues will be alerted to the grower as you said.

Pawpaw told me how they did it in the old days. No incinerators... had to read the thermometer and switch on the fans as needed. Had to go control the lights manually several times per day. Had to measure out the feed.

I couldnt imagine doing it by hand. Especially since the amonia levels were higher.

puppypaws
09-11-2007, 01:37 PM
no doubt... People dont realize when they pull into KFC how much technology and work was involved with growing that chicken.

Most new houses round here are advanced like that. Will raise and lower the curtins on the cool cells automatically... turn on and off fans as needed. Cycle the food pumps on as programmed in the propper proportions.

Any issues will be alerted to the grower as you said.

Pawpaw told me how they did it in the old days. No incinerators... had to read the thermometer and switch on the fans as needed. Had to go control the lights manually several times per day. Had to measure out the feed.

I couldnt imagine doing it by hand. Especially since the amonia levels were higher.

Yep, I got a friend that was in the chicken business for close to forty years and just leased his houses to a person that goes to church with me. He was in his mid 60's and found out after the boy grew two flocks he has lung cancer, now is that not a heck of a bad deal.

He was old enough to retire and go fishing, but now his time is probably over, he is in the hospital now.

ztrlvr
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Neat harvest pictures. Really crazy for me to see the fields being picked with the trees being green, up here the leaves are all gone when crops come out.

KTO Enterprises
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM

That sure is a very tall man taking a picture of that tractor. If its you how do you fit in it?

puppypaws
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
That sure is a very tall man taking a picture of that tractor. If its you how do you fit in it?

That fellow should have played basketball instead of farming!

stuffdeer
09-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Do you ever hunt the land you farmed? Whitetail?

puppypaws
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Do you ever hunt the land you farmed? Whitetail?

There is hardly a day goes by that I don't see several deer in my fields and I mean virtually every field. I can walk out on my deck this very minute and shine a light out across the corn stubble and count anywhere from 2 or 3 to 20 or more.

I also have 200 + Canadian geese coming into the corn and lake every morning, if I can remember I will snap you a picture in the morning, they are beautiful coming in with their wings cupped but I hate mowing around the lake and throwing goose crap all over me. I let my nephew shoot them occasionally, I can't shoot them after watching them all the time.

There are a few really big trophy bucks around but you will only see them in the middle of the night.