PDA

View Full Version : New lawn-to-be question

Philip Shantz
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I will be posting some obvious newbie questions here, try not to laugh...here's the first

I would like to "install" a lawn (or very likely have it done professionally). This is a house that I bought about 25 years ago and have slowly been adding to and remodeling, and I'm finally at the point of dealing with the outside. (the new lawn would be about 2300 sq ft.)

I've been mowing what passes for "lawn" so far, which can only be described as "what tends to grow when trees and brush are removed from the landscape" I couldn't give specific plants but suffice to say it could be more accurately called a "mown field"

One thing I would like to achieve in this project is to grade the "yard" around the house to be a more regular and pleasing surface (not to mention better drainage). For the most part, this would involve between 3-4 inches of topsoil before the lawn is planted.

Question 1: Is it always necessary to remove the existing "sod" before continuing? My common sense tells me yes, but it would be a major expense as there is nowhere on the property I could put it -- hence it involves hauling and disposing. Not normally being a herbicide person, I am curious -- would there be a viable one-time solution of simply killing the existing growth without causing major ongoing problems?