PDA

View Full Version : Do commercial guys pass up trashy yards?

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I was wondering if any of the commercial guys reading this ever pass up certain yards. The yards that are 2-3+ feet tall, trashy, uneven, etc. At some point, do you guys draw a line on what may be too risky (stumps, trash, etc.) to bring in your high-dollar equipment? Personally, some yards are not worth it, but I really haven't turned down work, just bid a little higher. That way if I do end up getting the customer, I pull in enough money to make it well worth it. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Grits
06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I would just bid it high. I wouldn't say I would pass one up, but, I would be a bit hesitant.

ed2150
06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I generally won't completely pass on one, but I certainly price it high enough to make it worthwhile........

My price also depends on whether it's a one-time thing or a regular yard after the clean-up.

slclawn
06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I generally won't completely pass on one, but I certainly price it high enough to make it worthwhile........

My price also depends on whether it's a one-time thing or a regular yard after the clean-up.

that is what i do also

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Anymore i pass on yards that are unirrigated, bahia infested sand pits. I only want people who care about the quality of their lawn. not people who think its a necessary evil that has to be cut.

scagwildcat
06-13-2007, 07:00 PM
im with you guys, i would bid it high, changing blades in the middle of the day sucks after you hit some thing, also i dont need the extra risk of putting a rock in a window, because they were to lazy to keep the yard clean. i looked at one a month ago, this lady had stumps, driveway stones, tree bark (from splitting firewood) and small 3'' stones used as edging around everything. not to mention my lettered truck sitting in the front of their home,and people seeing it there! NO THANKS...

65hoss
06-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I turn down stuff all the time if its junk or doesn't fit our business model. Some things we may bid high just to see, but if its trashed out or too small I will just turn them down or pass them on to someone else.

Its ain't about the money, its about the business. There is a difference.

Scagguy
06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
If it's just that the grass is high, no problem...I charge plenty to mow it. If the yard and landscape looks like the Munster house I'll pass on it unless they want to do a total yard and landscape restoration.

fiveoboy01
06-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Anymore i pass on yards that are unirrigated, bahia infested sand pits. I only want people who care about the quality of their lawn. not people who think its a necessary evil that has to be cut.

Same here.

Even if it does pay an ungodly amount, I just don't want to be seen on the property.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Same here.

Even if it does pay an ungodly amount, I just don't want to be seen on the property.

Ever since I took on this philosophy I have made so much more money. And I dont mean gross numbers but better net on lower gross.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I guess my next question would be, in the case that you guys do turn down a customer, what would be the most professional way to turn them down?

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Tell them that you only do turf lawns as non turf lawns are hard on equipment. I have had to explain this a few times to people. they usually understand. Find a part timer that will do crappy yards and get a few of his cards. Turn them on to him.

65hoss
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks but...NO thank you!
or
We don't have the additional time. Our regular customers come first.

outlaw1960
06-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Our regular customers come first,

same here, my equipment cost's too much to risk damage on a one-time only cut

captken
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
You gotta do whatcha gotta do.

I started out doing jobs I would not consider doing today. Gotta pay them bills.

So go ahead, if you are up to the challenge, go for it.

Been there done that...check out this old thread....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=68868&highlight=ghetto+hustler

captken
06-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I turn down stuff all the time if its junk or doesn't fit our business model.

Hey 65hoss,
When I started I didn't have a business model. It was all about the money, the business came a little later.

I laugh about the old times now. I wouldn't do the kind of jobs I did when I first started out, later
your friend,
kenny.:)

captken
06-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I turn down stuff all the time if its junk or doesn't fit our business model.

Hey 65hoss,
When I started I didn't have a business model. It was all about the money, the business came a little later. You gotta do what you gotta do to generate cash flow when you start out. As long as you turn a profit and don't tear up your equipment go for it. Later on we can pick and choose.
your friend,
kenny.:)

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 02:27 AM
Is see lots of LCO's in my area pass up overgrown property all the time but I do clean up quiet a few lots a year.

TXNSLighting
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
im finally atthe point i pass crap yards off to others. I dont want my name on a crap yard. just bad for business.

dgfitz
06-16-2007, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1863085]Anymore i pass on yards that are unirrigated, bahia infested sand pits.

That just about covers most of South Carolina, do you go down to Savannah
to mow? LOL. Yea, those properties just seem to be money wasters here too.

David C.
06-16-2007, 07:02 AM
I would just bid it high. I wouldn't say I would pass one up, but, I would be a bit hesitant.

I estimated a "jungle" clean up not long ago----what I thought was

"I'll give the lady such a ridiculoulsy high price--there ain't no way she'd have me do the job!!"

I tell her a price---$ X amount of dollars

Then she said I can start anytime

Next thing you know I was thinking----"Man, she's gonna pay it---RATS!!! Now I'm gonna have to clean it up!!! Mercy---I don't want this job!!"

But I took it anyway!!! Cleaned it up and it actually looked good when I finished!!

SpruceLandscape
06-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm in a similar boat you are... that is, I hate to pass up on new accounts, especially because my schedule is not filled up. That being said, even when I was brand spankin' new, I still didn't take on accounts where the rest of the yard was in shambles. I can recall one account in particular that is on a super busy 5 lane road, just down the street from the airport... had home depot special retaining walls all the way around the house, anywhere from 3-5 stones high, that had literally fallen apart on the corners and long portions, along with all the backfill of clay and gravel. There was an OLD mercedes parked way off the drive with 2 flat tires, and a broken down swingset in the back yard. They had originally called for a price on approx. 2 yds. mulch installed and weekly maint. Once I drove by the house, saw how visible it was being on a main road, and how terrible the upkeep looked, I never even called them back. There was no way I wanted anyone to accidentally affiliate me with the way their yard looked in general. Plus, all the hazards of the falling walls, broken down cars, and kids toys covering the place. Best decision I ever made, because I just drove by the place last week, and its EXACTLY the same! nothing has been fixed, cleaned up, or moved.

Stillwater
06-17-2007, 05:29 AM
I useally never turn down work unless their is something makeing me leary

tacoma200
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Right now I'm not passing anything up that has a little green tint to it.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Right now I'm not passing anything up that has a little green tint to it.

Yea it would be like passing up a $5 or $10 you saw on the ground cause it was'nt a twenty:laugh:

GSPHUNTER
06-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I've passed on two this year. One was a deal where a lady stopped me while cutting to see if I would cut her yard. I looked at the yard and the grass was 2+ feet tall. It was a little bigger than a .25acre and I was going to charge $60, but decided to turn it down, because I couldn't see **** in the yard. If I woulda blown a spindle, I would have been in the hole for a one time deal. The other, the lady had branches in her yard from a storm that happened 2 months prior and was to cheap to have me remove them.