PDA

View Full Version : Here's a thought

DJ Contracting
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I was having poor cut issues after trying to adjust my deck to cut at the advertised level (i'm getting a 3" inch cut @ the 3 1/2" level), after trying to adjust the deck (to no avail, once I adjusted it to the right hight I could not lock it in the raised position), my pitch was off. So on to my thought. I have read about pitch and all (1/8 to 1/4), any way do any of you put a level on your decks to check, or do you guys just use a tape measure? I used both anyway, here are some pictures of the level and see what you guys think, ignore the title of the pictures

Restrorob
06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Looks good to me, I use only a tape. There are very few if any golf course type lawns around here.

DJ Contracting
06-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I used a tape too but just thought I would check it with the level I also noticed the the deck on the discharge side has a dip in the middle.

khouse
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I bought this John Deere deck measuring device off of ebay. It reaches under the deck and measures the blade. It was like $5.00

Uranus
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't have been easier to make a mental note about your height. If you want to mow at 3 1/2 inches you would set it at 4 inches. Seems like that would have been alot eaiser to do then wasting time and getting pissed off at the deck adjustments. My lazer is off 1/4 inch. If I want to mow at 3 1/2 inches I set it at the 3 3/4 setting.

khouse
06-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Uranus,
You hit it on the head. I tell people that the numbers are for reference. Not actual height. I just worked on a Home Cheapo JD mower. He was running it at #3 adjustment. It was cutting at 2 inches. I raised his deck adjustment as high as it would go and at the highest adjustment #4 it cut at 3 inches. I told him to run it there. He looked at me funny. I said your lawn will thank me. Around here 4 to 4.5 inches is best.

DJ Contracting
06-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Wouldn't have been easier to make a mental note about your height. If you want to mow at 3 1/2 inches you would set it at 4 inches. Seems like that would have been alot eaiser to do then wasting time and getting pissed off at the deck adjustments. My lazer is off 1/4 inch. If I want to mow at 3 1/2 inches I set it at the 3 3/4 setting.

Well at the time I did not know that the reference and actual cut were different, now I do and I can let someone else know so they don't have to go through what I went through, and I never got pissed off I just had to work it out.

So how many others use a level?