PDA

View Full Version : 15HP Kohler CV15T Leaking Gas In Cyclinder

ed2hess
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
This unit is about 16 months old and it leaks gas into the cyclinder to the extent that you can't start it. I took the carb apart cleaned the area where the float valve seats and put it back together. Three hours later the unit had gas in the cyclinder and unit was just sitting in the shop. I took the float valve out and put in one off another Kohler that was working and the result was the same. Now granted using an old one wasn't good but I am waiting to get new one. Question: Is there any way that gas can leak in the cyclinder and it not be the float valve? Ever see a bad float valve seat?

Restrorob
06-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Question: Is there any way that gas can leak in the cyclinder and it not be the float valve? Ever see a bad float valve seat?

On rare occasions I have found a leaking seat where it's pressed into the carb. body but most all are either the float needle valve or a pin hole in the float.

I have ran across many needle valves that looked good but just wouldn't seat where a new one did. Also on aluminum seats where fuel/water has set in the carb for quite some time and pitted the seat area.

ed2hess
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
On rare occasions I have found a leaking seat where it's pressed into the carb. body but most all are either the float needle valve or a pin hole in the float.

I have ran across many needle valves that looked good but just wouldn't seat where a new one did. Also on aluminum seats where fuel/water has set in the carb for quite some time and pitted the seat area.
Put in a new needle valve...nothing changed still leaking....What will new carb cost? I think they only have 90 day warranty on carb even though the engine is 2 year.

Restrorob
06-14-2007, 09:30 PM
ed, Did you replace the viton seat (circled) also ? If so did you make sure the groove on one side was facing to the bottom of the port ?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kohler/CV15FloatValve.jpg

I can't price the carb. at this time, Troubles with my dealer's site.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 06:49 PM
ed, Did you replace the viton seat (circled) also ? If so did you make sure the groove on one side was facing to the bottom of the port ?

Welll this is apparently my problem there wasn't any valve seat in there when I took the needle valve out....guess they get ate up by the gas chemicals? And I didn't put a seat back in ....I see the part you are talking about and it is in the Kohler kit. So when I push this seat in with a drill bit I put the side with the groves in the hole first?

Restrorob
06-15-2007, 07:32 PM
So when I push this seat in with a drill bit I put the side with the groves in the hole first?

Yes, Groove facing the bottom of the hole, I have never seen fuel eat these seats but the fuel will dis-color them and make them hard to see in the bottom of the port so look close before you install the new one. I also spray son of a gun (silicone base) on mine to help them slide in easier then lightly blow the excess out.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, Groove facing the bottom of the hole, I have never seen fuel eat these seats but the fuel will dis-color them and make them hard to see in the bottom of the port so look close before you install the new one. I also spray son of a gun (silicone base) on mine to help them slide in easier then lightly blow the excess out.

Thanks a lot....

ed2hess
06-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Restrorob,
The needle seats that I got in Kohler Kit 1275703-5Code629 seem like it is too large in diameter. An instruction sheet in the kit says to use a .213" size drill bit to push it down in the opening and that bit will not go in the opening. The opening is more like .174". There were two needles in the kit and one of them is larger in diameter so I assume there is a carb with larger tube. This is a Walbro1 and is made in Mexico 82-1435-12053148 is etched on carb. Is it possible that this carb has no seat other than a smooth ground alum surface at the bottom of the opening? If there is a seat maybe I can order it using a Walbro number?

Restrorob
06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
There were two needles in the kit and one of them is larger in diameter so I assume there is a carb with larger tube.

There are two style carbs. and the other uses the seat, You have the aluminum seat which most likely formed a pit or something in the seat area. Without your engine spec. numbers I was only guessing.

I have no fix for this style seat so it looks like a new carb. is the only option unless someone else has a hat-trick repair.

Sorry for the assumption.

themowerman
06-18-2007, 10:15 AM
If what restorob suggested doesn't work check your fuel pump diaphram...I have seen where they will develope ahole in them and leak fuel into the crankcase.............

ed2hess
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I put a used carb on and that fixed the leaking fuel into the cyclinder problem. Now I am looking for a hat trick to fix the original carb. I wonder if I could drill that thing out and put the seat that is used with the other carb that does use a seat, since I got the seat in the repair kit?

Bill Kapaun
06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
If the seat is tapered, maybe a drill bit? Use by hand and work slow until you have a continuous "bright ring" in the seat. Hope it's in the right place, or grind the angle on the bit to fit.

ed2hess
06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
If the seat is tapered, maybe a drill bit? Use by hand and work slow until you have a continuous "bright ring" in the seat. Hope it's in the right place, or grind the angle on the bit to fit.
The chamber that my needle valve slides in is smaller than the chamber that is used on another Zamba carb that Kohler uses. The larger chamber has a replaceable seat and I have one of those and the mating needle. So I was thinking about making my small chamber a little bit bigger(they give size in kit spec) and slide in this seat. I like messing around with this stuff and also have been know to pinch pennies.