PDA

View Full Version : Proper Trimmer line replacement

fitzg2md
06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
When replacing the trimmer line in a bump-head, how do the pros go about this? I always seem to waste alot of time reloading the trimmer with line. I am using an echo trimmer with a bump style head. I get it loaded, and half way through it stops feed. I have to take the head off..realign, start back up. Very frustrating. If I were your new employee, how would you teach me to load trimmer line FAST and correctly? Also, are there other options in terms of heads that work better, or do the majority use bump style heads? Thanks for responding to the basic question! -MF

HOOLIE
06-13-2007, 07:35 PM
As I wind the line around the head, I just keep my thumb pressed against the 2 ends of the line...keeps it from twisting around itself.

Kind of hard to explain in words, much easier to observe someone doing it.

DiyDave
06-13-2007, 07:36 PM
First read your manual, or the directions that are generally printed on the head.(Stihl does this, don't know about others.) Second, know how much line your trimmer head takes. Mine takes about 3 arm spans (as much line as you can pull out with your arms spread wide.) Don't make the mistake of putting in too much line, if you mess up, it balls up into a time consuming tangle! The best teacher is experience, after years of doing this I probably could do it blindfolded in my sleep! Now how come it runs out when you are farthest from the truck?:hammerhead: :hammerhead: D'OH

anj
06-13-2007, 08:56 PM
I Try Not To Wrap The Line To Tight On The Spool. That Works For Me.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Now how come it runs out when you are farthest from the truck?:hammerhead: :hammerhead: D'OH

same reason I start to have a gut bomb number 2 happening when im the farthest from the house.

And im the guy that refuses to poo in public toilets. lol

LushGreenLawn
06-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I have an echo. There are two slots to hold the string after you have wound it. I have found that the fastest way is to wind the two halves of string seperatley. Wind the one on the bottom first, use the slot to hold it into place, and then wind the top half, also using the slot to hold it into place. Feed the string into the head of the trimmer, and when you are turning the bump head to snap it into place, do it so the slots line up with the holes that the string is coming out of. After its together, pull hard on the two strings, and they will pop out of the slots. I hope I have not made that confusing, hard to explain...

fitzg2md
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Lush green lawn: That is exactly how I have been doing it myself. Do you ever have any problems with the trimmer line getting tangled underneath the head? Like in the spring area? Im having this problem too much.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 10:39 PM
are you hooking it in the little holes for the trimmer line?

BBL
06-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I usually do about 2 arm lengths and just place my index in between the two strings to keep the two lines seperate and keep decent tension so it doesn't unravel on me when I am clipping them into the head and just put each line in each little slot and I always keep spare string in my back pocket so I don't have to walk 2 miles back to the truck to re-string because that gets old pretty fast.

ever have a little patch/strip of grass left to do on a job and then run out of string? :realmad:

Bump heads are my favorite, with the other type I always had to stop whipping and manually pull and twist to get more string out which gets annoying as well.

gavin478
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Buy quality trimmer line. Cheap line gets hot and 'welds' together, causing the line to not feed properly. Also even winding and mostly experience will keep it working smoothly.