PDA

View Full Version : Zspray Good or Bad

turfmasters.c.
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Need advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im cosidering buying a Zspray unit and untill Know weve been dragging hoses with the lesco space saver 200g tanks were not looking to completly get rid of the tanks b/c they have their place (shrubb treatments) I come from a farming background and have been in the lawn biz for 12 years and for 12 years ive been trying to get back to a system with a boom involved i just feel it is more effective and efficiant anyone with experiance with a z spray with advice pros or cons would be greatly appreciated

gregory
06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
i have been looking at the perme green and the z spray for my house i will go with the z spray myself i called both and asked them some questions and did some research on here and on google and found some info...one thing the guy at z spray asked me how many used perma green are for sale alot on there web site then he asked me how many used z spray have you seen for sale great question...do your self a favor do some research on here and you see ...

turfmasters.c.
06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
thanks for the advice gregory, ive been looking @ both of these for about a year and have tested both I feel the z is more bang for the buck they have made some changes since i drove the z about a year ago and i hear that it only made it better

Rlclawnguy
06-14-2007, 07:33 AM
I have about 55 hrs on my z-max and we love it!! The amount of work I get done while our PG's are broken in the shop is priceless. Overall it is a much more solid machine! Our next machine will be another Z!

gregory
06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
i was looking at and i am sure i will get a z jr

sprayboy
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Had a z jr for 4 years, upgraded to the new z-max this year with the 50 gal capacity. Have never run a permagreen but for my applications the z is great.

americanlawn
06-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Besides a new PG Magnum, we are open-minded regarding a Z-Spray JR. The JR's are fairly new....anybody have input regarding these?

turfmasters.c.
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
hey sprayboy the z max w 50 gal do you ever have any problems with it being to bulky. our average property size is about 12kft and im now debating between the zmax or the intermediate. also have you ever had any problems with overspray on ornamentals

Grandview
06-15-2007, 07:35 AM
I bought my second Permagreen Magnums because I like the boomless system. I also redesigned the spray system so I can cover 10-11 feet with my Permagreens. Booms get in the way and slow you down. I rarely use a backpack sprayer now. However the Z can be setup with a boomless system also. I would agree the Z is more machine for the money. I like its dual tank sytem and bigger spreader. I have a question for Z-spray owners. I hear it has some trouble on hills and gets away from operators. Is this going up, down, or on slopes? It would be nice if the Z was four wheel drive.

gregory
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
i know the jr is boomless...when i called them they told ne they redesigned the jr in 07 and lowered everything to cure the hill problem ..it would be nice to see a 4wd one.but thats something else that can break or wear out..

sprayboy
06-15-2007, 09:35 AM
hey sprayboy the z max w 50 gal do you ever have any problems with it being to bulky. our average property size is about 12kft and im now debating between the zmax or the intermediate. also have you ever had any problems with overspray on ornamentals

I don't use it on lawns this small. I still spray lawns of this size. I have a lot of properties that are 1 acre or more, which is why a bought the z-max. I've not had any problems with ornamentals from the machine. They use the AI nozzles which helps reduce drift.

Grandview:

I have no problems with the boom getting in the way. It lets you keep farther away with the machine while still spraying close to objects. As for the hills, the new max handles hills better especially with the extra weight on the drive wheels. They also made the new one a little wider. Every machine has their limitations on slopes and hills.

turfmasters.c.
06-15-2007, 11:21 AM
does anybody feel that the z spray would be inefective on properties
12-20kft2. if no what model would you sugest

Tscape
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
If gates are not an issue, get the Z-spray Max. It is highly manueverable.

Forever Green Lawn
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
You can use a Z-Max on almost any size lawn. If most of your lawns are postage stamps, then maybe a Jr. would be a better choice. On the Z-Max you can fold in the boom arms and just spray out of the center nozzles, we do this a lot in tight areas. As for hills, sometimes I like a Z-Spray better than a PG... one it has a lot more power and you can slow it down better. The key is NOT to have the machine full when you are doing hilly areas. Most times I'll wait until the tanks are half empty and the hopper is half full or less. It takes a while to get used to the Z-spray on hills, once you do it's really not bad...

turfsolutions
06-15-2007, 07:51 PM
does anybody feel that the z spray would be inefective on properties
12-20kft2. if no what model would you sugest

Most of my lawns are in that range. I owned a 40 inch earlier model that I sold earlier in the year. I just upgraded to an intermediate which is about 42 inches wide with the Jr. size hopper. Great on properties in that range plus I do acre + and smaller 5k properties no problem. The reason I didn't go with the larger hopper is that it reduces visiblility when spot treating and I use many different products on one or multiple lawns. I wouldn't mind having the zMax in certain situations though. The Jr. was a bit small for me especially not having a boom sprayer. The 42inch intermediate is much more stable on hills than the jr. Overall, you can't go wrong with a z. Good luck.

Rlclawnguy
06-16-2007, 08:09 AM
My z-max is awesome in almost every situation. We have properties ranging from 5k - 300 acres. The only time I don't really use it is if they have a gate I cant get through. But I work with a two man crew and the second machine is a PG for now.

As for hills, well I took it past its limit before driving it was second nature. I was going sideways across a hill and came to a crest (machine was to full for this) and the machine wanted to go straight down. It was at a commercial property and I was heading for the empty parking lot but the problem was there was a light pole at the bottom that didn't want to move. I slammed into that at a pretty good pace. As you can imagine, it scared the crap out of me having the brand new $10,000 machine doing this, but we both survived and only bent the bar in front of the hopper. Moral of the story is that they take some getting use to. But I do feel a bit better on it now and they drive up the hills great compared to the PG. Just don't have an almost empty hopper and full tanks.

The boom sprayers was a concern for me since I had been used to the PG's but they have worked great! I can actually get closer to bed then the PG's with out having any toubles. We have had 2 or 3 complaint this year about fried plants and all of them have been with the PG. One big difference is that the spray on a PG is at a different angle to the ground and has more of a chance to drift.

Grandview
06-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Booms get in the way when they do not allow you to get in between trees and other obstacles. This requires you to get off the machine and fold the boom or drive around the obstacles.

turfsolutions
06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Booms get in the way when they do not allow you to get in between trees and other obstacles. This requires you to get off the machine and fold the boom or drive around the obstacles.

Actually not true. They have a metal bar protecting the nozzles so when you hit the bar going straight forward the booms fold in and snaps closed. On my intermediate I can reach down and flip them open without getting off the machine. Others have rigged something where they don't have to stretch as far to do this.