PDA

View Full Version : skippin' the trimming

1MajorTom
06-13-2007, 09:07 PM
You ever skip the trimming around retaining walls? Just mow as close to it as you can, but leave the edges a little shaggy? We do it all the time once the heat hits. Anyone else do this?

lawnboy858
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah during the summer ill trim those bi-weekly.

Mark in MD
06-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Doesn't everybody? :-)

1MajorTom
06-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Doesn't everybody? :-)

DEFINITELY not, i see companies around here trimming to the ground.

smcunningham
06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
DEFINITELY not, i see companies around here trimming to the ground.

Ditto

Lynden-Jeff
06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Yea my partner likes to trim to the ground, I prefer to leave it a little longer, IMO Green> Ugly yellow fringe edge.

Cheers

Pro-Scapes
06-13-2007, 09:19 PM
anyone ever try inverting your trimmer and creating the slightest groove in front of the wall ? not a gouge... just a slight groove... This works especially well around the lame brick border some clients use but for use works really well around walls.

Lynden-Jeff
06-13-2007, 09:53 PM
anyone ever try inverting your trimmer and creating the slightest groove in front of the wall ? not a gouge... just a slight groove... This works especially well around the lame brick border some clients use but for use works really well around walls.

I do this alot. I like the look it produces but it usually needs some flat trimming to compliment it.

Cheers
Jeff

Uranus
06-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I dont call it skipping, I call it slackwacking. Usually during the heat of the summer I do less trimming around wood lines and trees way out in the middle of the yards.

1MajorTom
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Well i wasn't really talking about slackwacking, being able to get away with less trimming because it's not growing fast.
Grass right by retaining walls burns out SO fast, the grass really fries. So that's why we skip the trimming around the walls.

rodfather
06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Well i wasn't really talking about slackwacking, being able to get away with less trimming because it's not growing fast.
Grass right by retaining walls burns out SO fast, the grass really fries. So that's why we skip the trimming around the walls.

exactly Jodi, radiant heat off the stones cooks the turf.

Turfdude
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
exactly Jodi, radiant heat off the stones cooks the turf.

Damn,

Not only is that Rod guy handsome, rich & entertaining, but he also has something between his ears that can do some "sy-fer-ing" Radiant heat ... now thats an explanation that says it all... well done OBEWAN!!!:clapping:

sheshovel
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh I agree completely. Now don't give him a big head Turfdude.

outlaw1960
06-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Not here. Everyone of my customers has a sprinkler system :)

Jason Rose
06-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Slackwhacking... I'll have to remember that one!

That's basically my poilcy on every lawn every week. No, I don't skip stuff, but if I look at something and it dosn't NEED trimmed around i.e. the grass is no taller than the mowing height (mowed) around it, then I can probably skip by that object. Depends a lot on the "season" and the amount of weekly growth of course. I have many lawns that I only do a total trimmning and edging job on every other week. Many I just "hit the high spots" on the inbetween weeks. I only have a few that aren't irrigated/fertilized too.

Am I a bad LCO for doing things this way? I don't think so... At least my grass under trees and around edges isn't burred to the dirt like others I see around town (which is deplorable IMO)

KTO Enterprises
06-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Slackwacking? ill have to accuse my girlfriend of that. lol

ke5hbd
06-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I also trim back from the edges of walls and flower beds also but not to the ground.

I have used roundup around large areas that are not seen to lessen the trimming.

When I mowed a cemetery before it changed management I used a product that killed the ground but I cant think what the product name is now but it worked around the tombstones.

I set the sprayer to cover about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around each marker and it saved alot of time.

You should see the place now after it went under new management.

Its so bad that I mow my grandparents plot when it gets out of hand and their so cheap that they wont hire the mowing out anymore.

walker/redmax
06-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Slackwhacking... I'll have to remember that one!

That's basically my poilcy on every lawn every week. No, I don't skip stuff, but if I look at something and it dosn't NEED trimmed around i.e. the grass is no taller than the mowing height (mowed) around it, then I can probably skip by that object. Depends a lot on the "season" and the amount of weekly growth of course.
I do the same thing. I really dont mind being the one that walks behind a line trimmer all day as long as there is something to be cut. There is nothing that I hate worse than trimming dirt.:angry: :angry: :angry:

johnnywill08
06-17-2007, 05:18 PM
mid summer-evry other wk.... better for the edge of the grass, too b/c it'd drier there

Uranus
06-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Slackwacking? ill have to accuse my girlfriend of that. lol

Just wait till you get married. It's all down hill from the minute you say "I do"

S man
06-18-2007, 12:33 AM
I've made it a habbit to trim EVERYTHING! I never miss any trimming, but now I might do a little less if it doesn't need it.

Vikings
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
I always do a walk around whether I feel like it or not.. if it's there I will trim it, if there's nothing to do it just makes my walk-around a little faster.

I'm a noob at this but I know not to scalp with mower or trimmer though it does happen, mostly on the edges of drive ways and curbs.

dhardin53
06-18-2007, 05:33 AM
In my commercial accounts i spell it out. "weed trimming every other mow or as need." My reasoning is if I cut the grass across the yard at 2 1/2 tall and weed trim around the trees and building much closer to the ground (not to the dirt). Then the next mow the trimmed grass should not be much over 2 1/2 tall, So I don't need to trim/weed wack it. This is not true in all cases, but it has made everyone happy and I don't spend time weed wiping when It don't really need it saving me time and money. But if it look woolly it gets trimmed no mater what.

LindblomRJ
06-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Just wait till you get married. It's all down hill from the minute you say "I do"

That's the God honest truth right there. I do generally means I don't, but I suckered you.

I usually make a pass around everything, it usually doesn't take that long.

1MajorTom
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I think the point of this thread was missed by some. it's not about taking the extra few minutes to trim everything, it's about intentionally skipping around stone surfaces because in this kind of heat, the grass will surely fry.
So for the ones that trim "everything", then it's safe to say those areas such as around retaining walls, are fried and burned.:hammerhead:

LindblomRJ
06-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I am guessing the grass will eventully "fry" if its hot enough long enough, the the other varible is length. How much time would length buy?

The other thing to ponder: if you do not trim does the end result look sloppy? Are most customes going to look at the grass that is not trimmed or a bit of grass that is brown that is in a small area?

1MajorTom
06-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Let me show you an example.
On a yard like this that gets water when needed, an "immaculate trim job" near this wall will burn out this grass. The heat from that wall will indeed burn out that grass a couple of inches from that wall. Keep it high and a tad shaggy, and this grass has a much better chance of staying green. Pics taken today.
To each his own. "clean and burnt", or "shaggy and green".

lawnprosteveo
06-19-2007, 01:07 AM
I will only do it every other mowing....but when I do trim it I will trim it short!