PDA

View Full Version : Lawn guy 1.... Yellow jackets 0 !

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Well last week, on one of my accounts, I had my first yellowjacket nest spotting. They are flying in and out of the bottom of a Railroad tie used as part of a planter in a customers lawn. Lucky for me, I spotted the little bastards flying around all confused after I had zipped by with the string trimmer and I didn't get stung. Told the customer about it - he needs to spray with wasp killer, I just pour gas in their hole, but this hole is horizontal and not vertical and no way to pour gas in without killing grass -

This week as I am cutting the lawn, I made sure to really zip the hell out of the tie with the trimmer as I go by, and must have really made em mad cause they swarmed out. Next week I am going to get em with the wasp spray...

So then today, I have yellowjacket nest spotting number 2.

I am mowing a lawn off Sardis Road, near Matthews NC. The lawn is a vacant lot and is fairly large. In the " Back" of the lot, what was sometime ago a backyard, a old planter/bed made up of old railroad ties. Since this is a vacant lot and I am just mowing to keep the owner from getting a ticket from the city, I don't usually trim around stuff like these ties. But today I thought... WTF, why not just mow around them a little so they aren't totally covered up with grass. Well, after mowing around them all and up and over one tie and onto a area about 30 feet away, I look back over at the ties and see the bees buzzing around, enough of them to know I had to have run over a nest somewhere near the ties.

So I go over closer with the mower, and just watch them to see where their hole was. It looked like they were flying down under one of the ties, so just for the hell of it, I decided to use the mower as a bulldozer and push on some of the other ties that butted up to the one the bees were flying near and as soon as I did the tie the bees were flying around flipped over and there was a nest the size of a basketball attached to the rotted out bottom of the tie! The yellowjackets went nutz!!!!

So I finished the lawn, loaded up the Isuzu and drove it into the lawn so I could get close to the nest without getting stung. I drove up to the tie and bumped it with the tire and the bees went crazy trying to sting my truck! It was weird hearing them fly into the windows ( closed windows, I'm not stupid! ) and make little thumps.... It made me shiver to think that they would be flying that hard into me to sting my legs and arms and so on!!! So I did what any yellowjacket hater would do and I ran over their nest with my front tire and crushed it, then drove off.

Believe it or not, it made me itch sitting there watching them and makes me itch thinking about it now as I write this. The stings hurt, but it is the itching later that makes it such a pain in the butt.

Audrey
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
:laugh: LMAO!

Crazy SOB!

:laugh:

A

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
You are lucky Its been a wierd year for me. I havent been stung yet. Lastyear, every week beginning in mid june to mid august I got stung by yellow jackets. All while bush hogging.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I only had a crappy radioshack camera with me and the bees just didn't show up in the pics.... sucks cause there was what seemed like thousands of them! I took one of the windshield and you can see one just in the edge of the picture

TAZ
06-14-2007, 06:32 AM
LOL I hate unexpectedly running into those damn things.

-TAZ

yardmanlee
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I was just thinking when the first nest would be spotted, it has been really dry here and would not be suprised to fin one this time of yr. most times its late july to august before we start finding them !! not looking forward to that !!

Mark in MD
06-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Believe it or not, it made me itch sitting there watching them and makes me itch thinking about it now as I write this. The stings hurt, but it is the itching later that makes it such a pain in the butt.I'm scratching my calves right now...

They usually don't show their ugly faces here in Maryland for another two weeks-- Just before July 4th...

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Yes, usually here it is late summer before I find them too... This drought we have had maybe got them to do their thing early.....

scchamblee
06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Ran over onr last year bout this time... Stung twice in the head (cause I fell onto the nest when I jumped off the mower) and twice on the back. I went straight to the gas station and got two Benadryl, then had to go home and lay on the couch for the rest of the day. I left mower, hat, shoes (i ran out of them) and all there, came back the next day and finished.

Envy Lawn Service
06-15-2007, 01:32 AM
I hate them fukers...

I haven't seen a single lone yellow jacket this year.
In fact, I haven't seen many bees at all.
Just a few brown wasps.

Just as I was telling someone else, I saw the only honey bee I've seen all year yesterday and it wasn't quite full grown.

I sorta thought maybe whatever killed off the honey bees got some of the other populations too. But I guess not. I'll be more alert now.

One of my big fears is getting swarmed by yellow jackets or hornets... or bitten by a poisonous snake way out on some of the remote sites I do. It would likely be the next day before I was found... and probably by my wife....

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Ohhhhhhh I don't know what worse a dam@ yellow jacket or a fucki@ red wasp pounding you like a freight train had ran over you.

Was shredding a few years ago and ran into a nest of ground bees with the edge of the shredder and dug up the top of the nest.

These were the ones that are black with yellow stripes on their ass and I wasn't going to mow that spot and my buddy who I was shredding for said and this is his exact words "Hell Damon don't be a puss$ about them ground bees just drive through them real fast "

I told him hell no and the next thing I saw was my buddy walking across the feied with his ole lady in tow carrying a delo gallon jug of gas. Not a bright idea on his part.

Well I was finished by that time and watched him pour the gas into the hole in the ground and I bet he didn't get a pint into the hole when I saw him slinging gas from the can into the air and he himself and his ole lady tore ass for their house.

I liked to piss My pants and I sure wish I would have had a video camera.

Moral of story is gas and bees don't mix.

Went back a week later and we dug three five gallons buckets of hive up from the ground.

Never saw anything like that before.

I have another bee story to tell about him if anyone else would like to hear it.

rodfather
06-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Worst thing about yellow jackets is that they will chase you clear across a yard at full tilt. I read someplace that when they leave their stinger in you, it has a scent the others can find you with, ie., repeatly stings from many of them.

I used to be allergic to them when I was a kid. Can remember running over a nest of them in the ground. 14 stings to one leg and I was in a ice bath in the hospital for 2 days.

Mark in MD
06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
They just got me yesterday. Got me in the ankle. I pounded him and killed him, hahah, as I ran 30 feet, then another one got me on ear lobe.

Nailed them with gasoline about fifteen minutes later.

My ankle swelled all up, it's still swollen now. Seems kind of early in the season...

Don't forget to keep antihistimine in your glove box.

KTO Enterprises
06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I had a yellow jacket get between my sunglasses and eyelid. Stung me a couple of times right near my eyelashes. I would rather be punched a couple of times by evander holyfield.

Rodfather you are correct about the scent. Although yellow jackets do not actually leave their stinger in you. They can sting repeatedly. Yellow jackets are like ants, one bites and when it does it releases a pheromone that basically says to attack.

If it wasnt for the amount of money I make bush hogging I would have quit a long time ago because of yellow jackets

topsites
06-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Yup, I hate the itching the worst, too.

http://pimannix.tripod.com/craneshot/swarm.gif http://www.petvets.com/img/pictures/dog-bee.jpg

Vespula squamosa
Southern Yellow Jacket, a yellow jacket (a wasp) is shiny yellow and black striped
Category: Wasp! (= 1 badass mofo, worse in swarms)
http://pollinator.com/identify/yellowjacket.jpg

KTO Enterprises
06-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Largest colony of yellow jackets ever discovered contained an estimated 250,000 workers. it was in Charleston SC and was found in 1991. Thats a scary thought. A nest like that would collapse with a tractor on it. Im quite confident that many could kill you.

walkerowner06
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM
i got stung on my left hand right by my thumb a couple weeks ago. i don't know what kind of bee it was but it made half my arm swell up like a balloon and i ended up going to the doctor. by the way i have question, what has a more powerful and painful sting a bumblebee or a yellowjacket.

KTO Enterprises
06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
i got stung on my left hand right by my thumb a couple weeks ago. i don't know what kind of bee it was but it made half my arm swell up like a balloon and i ended up going to the doctor. by the way i have question, what has a more powerful and painful sting a bumblebee or a yellowjacket.

Nothing I know of.

LawnMowerBoy48
06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
At the company I work for there is the "Bee Pool" everyone tosses in $5 and draws another employees name out of a hat. If the person who's name you picked out of the hat gets stung, you win the money. I know, we are kind of tapped in the head, but it sure a hell of a lot of fun enticing the person who's name you drew into a nest.

KTO Enterprises
06-18-2007, 10:30 PM
enticing the person who's name you drew into a nest.

Well if i worked with you and you enticed me into a nest you would be needing to find a dentist.

Mark in MD
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
It's been two days and my ankle is still swollen. What the hell... ?

Does anybody ever pour gasoline down their hole, and then a lit match? I've never done it, but my Dad has. He says it's very satisfying.

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
I do it. And expect your ankle to stay swolen and itch for about 4 or 5 days

walker/redmax
06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
It's been two days and my ankle is still swollen. What the hell... ?

Does anybody ever pour gasoline down their hole, and then a lit match? I've never done it, but my Dad has. He says it's very satisfying.

Ya, Ive done that before. One time, I came back from running and sat down on a bench in my yard to cool down. I hadnt been sitting there for more than about 30sec when two or three wasps came buzzin out and stung me a couple of times between my thumb and index finger. For me, the initial stinging feeling goes away pretty quickly and leaves an intense throbbing that made it kind of difficult to move my fingers. I went inside and put on my ski outfit (winter jacket, ski pants, face mask, gloves ect) which for the record wasnt terribly effective because I got stung again even worse once they found their way into my outfit. I didnt mind as much though because I had the morbid satisfaction of watching them burn. I dont really mind bumble bees but there are few things in this life that I hate more than yellow jackets and wasps!!:angry:

chuck bow
06-19-2007, 08:53 PM
This maybe a stupid question but has anyone heard of this ... my uncle who is a timber cutter down in tennessee told me when you get stung take a wad of chewing tobbaco out of your mouth and slap it on the sting he says it take the sting out and doesnt itch as much later , i assumed he knew what he was taking about as hes cut timber all his life

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I have heard of that. I use meat tenderizer and mud

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2007, 11:02 PM
This maybe a stupid question but has anyone heard of this ... my uncle who is a timber cutter down in tennessee told me when you get stung take a wad of chewing tobbaco out of your mouth and slap it on the sting he says it take the sting out and doesnt itch as much later , i assumed he knew what he was taking about as hes cut timber all his life

Yeah, it helps.

Learned that cutting timber too... LOL.
Actually the old powdered snuff... dental snuff... that works the best.

I've seen it draw stingers up far enough to pick them out.

In any event though... the higher rates of increased swelling... some say this is actually caused by a "developing" alergic reaction that gets worse with every sting over the years... others say that the yellow jackets are getting more potent, or happen to be more potent some years.

I'm not sure which school of thought to believe.
I guess I won't know unless I end up with a reaction bad enough to need the Epi-pens.

KTO Enterprises
06-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Envy, you raise a good point. I have considered carrying an epi pen wiht the amount of stings i Get each year. Depending on where they are on the body also changes severity. The one on my eyelid put me down for 3 days, but stings on arms legs and backs just itch.

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Envy, you raise a good point. I have considered carrying an epi pen wiht the amount of stings i Get each year. Depending on where they are on the body also changes severity. The one on my eyelid put me down for 3 days, but stings on arms legs and backs just itch.

I swell up and get a frankenstein reaction from yellow jackets anymore.

A sting on the arm and my whole arm and hand swelled up.

Last time I got stung on the top of the ear. My ear swelled up freakish... turned red and I thought it was going to pop. It ran to the side of my head, down my neck and swelled it too, as well as turning it sunburn red.

yardmanlee
06-20-2007, 07:41 AM
found my first nest of the season in a shrub I was trimming , not that agressive just yet !!! lucky me !!!
cause I was all up in that shrub !!! time to start shaking the hell out of the shrubs now

TXbulldog
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Last year I got stung on the top of head by a yellow jacket as I entered the back yard. I did not realize the SOBs had a nest in the gate to yard. Five minutes later I went to finish the job and got stuck on the neck--I had a ball cap on this time. Anyway, I checked the entire back yard fence and found nests every ten feet around the whole perimeter. I told a friend about it and he gave me some bee spray that the high voltage electricians use. This stuff drops the yellow jackets instantly in the air. Turns out the stuff is now banned. I have tried the home cheapo stuff but is isn't very quick. I need to be ready this year as I have already seen plenty of yellow jackets, but no nests yet.

sheshovel
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Worst thing about yellow jackets is that they will chase you clear across a yard at full tilt. I read someplace that when they leave their stinger in you, it has a scent the others can find you with, ie., repeatly stings from many of them.

I used to be allergic to them when I was a kid. Can remember running over a nest of them in the ground. 14 stings to one leg and I was in a ice bath in the hospital for 2 days.

That exact thing happened to me one day working at a clients home. I got stung on the left shoulderbade, smacked the wasp off of me and was then attacked by four or five more. I was at the bottom of a steep steep long driveway, blowing it off and I guess they did not like the noise.
I started running up the driveway when the first one stung me and was stung again in the same shoulder, then chased all the way up and into my truck. I was in a panic by then and threw my blower in the back, hauled azz outa there. The wasps chased my truck until I got on the main road and took off. Lemmie tell ya it freaked me out bigtime. But if I had not been able to get away that fast, it would have been much worse.

Guzman Properties
06-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I just bought some wasp spray today, just in case........

The Captain
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
We all hate to be stung, but other than the pain of the sting is the danger of what is called Anaphylactic shock. This is a allergic reaction that can actually kill some of us. Can cause your throat to swell enough to suffocate you. So those little yellow and black bas**ds are nothing to play with. If you can see the stinger, the sooner you can get it out the more you'll reduce the swelling and pain.
A retired police officer in our town, survived being shot, hit by a car and all the other things a cop faces, only to die mowing his lawn in his own back yard, from bee stings. Be careful and if in doubt ask your doctor if you could be that allergic.

rodfather
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
We all hate to be stung, but other than the pain of the sting is the danger of what is called Anaphylactic shock. This is a allergic reaction that can actually kill some of us. Can cause your throat to swell enough to suffocate you. So those little yellow and black bas**ds are nothing to play with. If you can see the stinger, the sooner you can get it out the more you'll reduce the swelling and pain.
A retired police officer in our town, survived being shot, hit by a car and all the other things a cop faces, only to die mowing his lawn in his own back yard, from bee stings. Be careful and if in doubt ask your doctor if you could be that allergic.

very good advice and info

Surf'n'Turf
06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah, can be scary stuff. My old forman had to carry an epi-pen in a cooler as he was allergic...thankfully he never had to use it during work.

Two weeks ago, I was en route to fill up my dump truck with mulch and I hear a bang on my door mirror while driving down the road. I thought, man, that sounded like a big bug, hope it didn't land in here.....ahhhhh, its probably dead anyway. Five minutes later, I'm backing up to the mulch pile and I feel a strong pinching/ stinging sensation about 2 millimeters away from my nadz......the f'er got in my shorts somehow.....not a fun afternoon, my friends.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-21-2007, 05:31 PM
We don't get many bees around here, just little honey bees and wasps. What would happen if you taped some spray on your mower? could you bust the stuff out fast enough to get them away from u? Or do u just run like an sob and get in the truck?

KTO Enterprises
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Gotta be careful, the spray that kills them can kill you too. A kid here accidentially sprayed him self in the face with raid and died.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Wasps and Yellow jackets do not leave their stinger in you after they sting you... as far as I know only Honey Bees do that.

I have had this happen a few times, but the most recent time was a few weeks ago, I am flying my gyroplane around with a friend and were buzzing around LOW over a huge open field..... I never feel anything fly into me or bump me or anything, but as I am flying I keep feeling something stinging me - just slightly, not like a full on sting - on my sides of my torso.... But I am flying, what can I do... Finally I had had enough of it, and flew back to the airport I am based out of, Landed and as soon as I landed I pull up my shirt and one of those big Red and black wasps flys up out of my shirt! Apparently he got in under my right arm and was crawling around on me, giving me mild little stings each time my arm pressed up against him.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Another pic of the gyro

sheshovel
06-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Yep he's crazy alright! You wouldn't catch me flying in one of those things!
Very cool anyway though.

We should ALL have and epi-pen in our first-aid boxes at all times. I was lucky in my case, believe me I did swell all up and stuff. I carry one with me after that.

TAZ
06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Wasps and Yellow jackets do not leave their stinger in you after they sting you... as far as I know only Honey Bees do that.

I have had this happen a few times, but the most recent time was a few weeks ago, I am flying my gyroplane around with a friend and were buzzing around LOW over a huge open field..... I never feel anything fly into me or bump me or anything, but as I am flying I keep feeling something stinging me - just slightly, not like a full on sting - on my sides of my torso.... But I am flying, what can I do... Finally I had had enough of it, and flew back to the airport I am based out of, Landed and as soon as I landed I pull up my shirt and one of those big Red and black wasps flys up out of my shirt! Apparently he got in under my right arm and was crawling around on me, giving me mild little stings each time my arm pressed up against him.

I have had that happen to me on my bike a couple of times. They get in through a shirt sleeve and start nailing you. Sucks when your on a busy highway and the little bastards are sting the hell out of you but you can't pull over to get them out.

-TAZ

Envy Lawn Service
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Rather or not a yellow jacket or other bee leaves the stinger just depends.

I have been stung many many times over my lifetime and about every kind of bee has left a stinger in me at one time or another.

The yellow jacket that stung me in the top of the ear last left his stinger and half his insides hanging in my ear. It was hard to get out too because it drove the stinger into the cartilage and it started to swell around it FAST.

I think honey bees always leave their stinger and die as a result because I thing their stinger has a barb or something on it.

The Captain
06-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Envy...The bag of 'guts' you had hanging in your ear is what is called the venom sac. This is the bag or sac that holds the 'poison' that causes the problems. It is attached to the stinger, which has a barb on the business end. Getting that stinger (with that venom sac) out as soon as you can will decrease the amount of venom going into you and lessen the amount of pain and swelling.

David C.
06-23-2007, 07:42 AM
YellowJackets really don't get bad around here until mid-Fall of the year!

I was out bushhogging---had the tractor "clickin' along" at a pretty good speed(or so I thought---I'm moving along pretty fast here!!)---that is, until the clipper ran over a YellowJacket nest in the middle of the pasture

5 Stings----- 3 on the right ear and two on the right Index finger---suddenly the tractor couldn't move fast enough to get away from the stupid things---I finally had to shut the tractor off--get off---and run under a hedgerow to get away from the swarming things

WJW Lawn
06-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Man I ran over a nest today...got hit 4 times before I even freakin knew what happened! Yellowjackets suck! Stung me on my knee...leg...back of the head...and arm. Guess it could have been worse, but it still sucked.