PDA

View Full Version : They made me use red mulch

TheKingNJ
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I hate red mulch at residential houses, but when a customer insists on red mulch I work with certain plants that I think look better with it. So the other day I was just finishing a little install and the customer sees me and told me they changed their mind and want to go with red mulch. So I tried to talk them out of it but I they are the ones signing the check so I used red mulch. I THINK IT LOOKS AWEFULL!!

What do you think. I didnít bother taking any pics of the front of the house because it is not going to make it in my portfolio of work.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1081.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1084.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1087.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1090.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1089.jpg

lawnspecialties
06-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Folks either love it or hate it. There's almost no "middle ground" with dyed mulches, especially red. I just installed 33 yards in a nice golf course community home last Thursday and Friday. It looks "OK" but natural or even dyed brown or black would have been far better IMO.

I have learned to really seperate myself from what I think would be best when a customer is insistent on what they want. You hit the nail on the head when you said, "they are the ones signing the check." :)

1MajorTom
06-13-2007, 10:14 PM
We've installed red mulch before, but rarely, and only when asked. I think if red mulch is insisted upon being used, it looks "best" with a red brick house. Otherwise it even stands out worse than it already does.

lawnspecialties
06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
We've installed red mulch before, but rarely, and only when asked. I think if red mulch is insisted upon being used, it looks "best" with a red brick house. Otherwise it even stands out worse than it already does.

The house I did last week had a brick foundation but yellow siding.:dizzy:

TheKingNJ
06-13-2007, 10:18 PM
I think it looked better like this

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1069.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/rvogt/DSCN1070.jpg

Bigred350
06-13-2007, 11:59 PM
The patio and pavers look great. I agree red looks tacky.

abloom
06-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Red mulch should not exist!!!

1MajorTom
06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
what about turquoise mulch. has anyone seen that? NOW that is hideous!

Petr51488
06-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Do you allways use the fabric when you mulch? Just curious..

JB1
06-14-2007, 12:49 AM

have you ever seen the blue or green mulch ?

TheKingNJ
06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Do you allways use the fabric when you mulch? Just curious..

No I don't always use it but i do use it often on new installs. I did not use it by the boxwoods because the home owners did not want it there because they claimed they wanted to put annuals and such there.

Ric3077
06-14-2007, 01:27 AM
I hate red dye mulch if they want a red look get hemlock mulch it looks good but is only available in the northeast and a few other areas...not in MO by me, but you should be able to get it in NJ.

Guthrie&Co
06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
No I don't always use it but i do use it often on new installs..

It looks like plastic in the pics and i hope that you used actual landscape fabric instead of plastic if you have to use a fabic at all. Using plastics and landscape fabrics defeats the purpose of mulching in a huge way. The plastics prevent any of the moisture getting into the surrounding root zone thus not encouraging root growth. Not to mention that the humus layer isnt even in the soil zones. Part of mulching is to introduce organic matter into the soil and landscape fabrics and plastics dont allow any of that to happen. they hurt the plants more than they help. And i am sure that plastics wont to anything to help maintian a root zone temerature.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
I like red mulch - there , I said it - it is fairly popular down here and is becoming more so . I didn't like it or use it for a long time , but it grows on you. Thought you did a very nice job with the mulch and that looks like gray fabric to me , not plastic.

Eakern & Dog
06-16-2007, 12:06 AM
I like red mulch - there , I said it - it is fairly popular down here and is becoming more so . I didn't like it or use it for a long time , but it grows on you. Thought you did a very nice job with the mulch and that looks like gray fabric to me , not plastic.

Personally,I can't stand looking at red mulch and have seen it look good only once (around a playhouse) but to each his own.I have seen more of it as well, but never on my properties.As far as popularity is concerned,I'll assume that your red mulch requests must be from homeowners who were tiring of their white marble chips against a back drop of Yellow Euonymus,Blue Rug Junipers and Fire Power Nandinas :-) ?

TheKingNJ
06-16-2007, 11:14 AM
It looks like plastic in the pics and i hope that you used actual landscape fabric instead of plastic if you have to use a fabic at all. Using plastics and landscape fabrics defeats the purpose of mulching in a huge way. The plastics prevent any of the moisture getting into the surrounding root zone thus not encouraging root growth. Not to mention that the humus layer isnt even in the soil zones. Part of mulching is to introduce organic matter into the soil and landscape fabrics and plastics dont allow any of that to happen. they hurt the plants more than they help. And i am sure that plastics wont to anything to help maintian a root zone temerature.

Do they even sell plastic for beds anymore? Its gray fabric, just look at the way it was cut in the corner.

mverick
06-16-2007, 06:42 PM

If you have a old home with a basement and allow a lot of water to go down by the foundation you will have a water problem in the basement.

I agree with you. But, depends on the home and the total picture.

Basement floor with water damage to the flooring and walls? Or pretty plants? I like dry basements.

I just did an install of a 6-8ft curtain drain in front of a home and put plastic under rock and mulch at the foundation. Once past the curtain drain, I used fabric under the rock and nothing under the mulch. No water will ever get to the foundation of that home. I always suggest drip watering systems for plants when I do this. Control what you put there.

sicnj
06-18-2007, 11:29 PM
looks like the ronald mcdonald house

1MajorTom
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
have you ever seen the blue or green mulch ?
Oh ya, I've seen green mulch. I even took a picture of it. I was at a concert and a local radio station called "Froggy" was there out front. They had a huge booth, and had placed green mulch all around. It was awful looking.

David Hartzog
06-19-2007, 12:40 AM

ok now its my turn to ask this.....PLEAZ tell me your making this up! :dizzy:

1MajorTom
06-19-2007, 01:39 AM
ok now its my turn to ask this.....PLEAZ tell me your making this up! :dizzy:

No I'm really not. I'll try to take a picture of it, i know an exact house where it's at. It's been over a year since I seen it, so I don't know how faded it is going to be.

topsites
06-19-2007, 03:20 AM
It's a matter of taste, I don't particularly care for it but it doesn't look that bad, as was said, you either love it or hate it. Personally I think brown dyed or black would've looked awesome, but it is a matter of taste.

I do think it is a good thing if you have an eye for such things, I myself would not have recommended red either, but it can be ok in certain settings. At least it's a good job, frustrating as it can be, it looks right decent if that's what they wanted, hey.

fiveoboy01
06-19-2007, 03:54 AM
I installed red mulch at my own home this spring.

I don't think it looks TOO bad but if I could do it over I'd pick a different color.

Oh well, I'm ripping it out and putting stone down next year. Mulch is a pain, my dog tracks it eveywhere, it blows all over, I just don't like it.

MarcSmith
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Guthrie&Co
06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
that looks like rubber mulch and fido's rectal cavity!