PDA

View Full Version : anyone like multi-tool units?

BBL
06-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I am thinking of getting a multi-tool unit like a shindaiwa M242 or something similar but wondering if anyone has used them and if your experience were good or not with them.

I usually just use a dedicated edger or whip or whatever else, but looking into one as a space saver, but wondering how good they are or if they try to do too much and end up not doing good at any of them(jack of all trades, master of none type deal).

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
I have heard several complaints about split boom equipment not holding up to commercial use. I have a dedicated trimmer, edger, pole hedger and extendable pole pruner/hedger.

S man
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Hello, I have a stihl km110r and have 3 attachments for it and like it. But if I could have done it over, I would have bought separate tools. The attachments are sort of expensive and if the unit breaks you can't use your attachments. In the long run you will appreciate having separate tools. Also they will last longer because you are not using the same engine for different tools all the time. Get separate handhelds. :)

lawnman_scott
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I just started using them. I always thought they were for a solo guy, but they arg great. Stihl has a 4ft extention peice you can add to make it longer (for pole saw or trimmer attachemnts)

BBL
06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah that's kinda why I am debating getting one, I am solo currently(until I make my billions in lawn care that is :rolleyes: :laugh: ) and thinking it might help me out and save space on my little open trailer.

smcunningham
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
My m231 shindaiwa is great I have the edger attachment and the trimmer head oh yeah and the hedge clipper attachment.....I have a primary trimmer and a primary edger and primary hedge clippers. I keep the m231 on the trailer in case i need a back for any of my primary eqmnt...saves me from having to carry two of everything on my trailer...honestly i probaly use the m231 w/ trimmer head as much if not more than my primary trimmer.
its probaly my favorite handheld because of versatility

T.E.
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM
I have the shindy m231. I find it a tad bit heavier than my sthil trimmer, but it has been very reliable. I have these 3 attachements trimmer, hedge trimmer,and the pole saw. When I bought mine the reason i went with the shindy instead of the sthil is, the shindy would articulate more, and i needed the extra. I don't know if they are still that way or not. Good luck with your choice. Tony

ke5hbd
06-14-2007, 01:18 AM
I was considering buying one but have not figured out what brand to buy.

I like the extension poles for doing tall work instead of working off a ladder.

I just rigged up an extension hose for my blower to clean out gutters and it works good.

Saw a man with one while working at one of my jobs and walked over and asked him if I could look at his setup and he said yes and not to mention got a job hauling off junk metal for him which netted profit for the walk over.

Richard Martin
06-14-2007, 06:04 AM
My experience with the Stihl multitool has been that this thing is heavy, very heavy. For ocassional short period uses it's okay but I'd never use it for long periods of time.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I have the Shiny M2500 power head......I little heavy but cost effective for tools that I only use a little.......I have the stick edger, the extended pole hedge trimmer, and the string trimmer.....plenty of power and as tough as any other I have seen.......

LawnBrother
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
They are perfect for the solo op. I have the stihl 110 and it is great.