PDA

View Full Version : Defective tire or bad technique?

Juan_Deere
06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Greetings,

I recently purchased a Gravely ZT for light residential work. It is the 2348XLP which is basically a commercial compact with the residential mowing deck on it. So far I love it, save for it won't hold inclines very well, but that was to be expected.

My question concerns my left tire. Today, while riding the mower, I could feel the left side "hopping". I got off to look and the left rear tire is getting chunks coming off near the center, almost all the way around the tire. I plan on getting with the dealer in the next couple of days about it. But I was wondering if you guys have seen the same symptom before, and if you think it is a bad tire, or maybe the way I am turning? On a couple of my yards, it is fairly convenient to turn on the road, or on the driveway, but I still try to do more of a tight turn with both wheels turning instead of a zero turn, and I try to make it a point to turn in both directions, instead of stressing one side all the time. I just think it odd because the right tire shows no signs of stress at all, but the left one is definitely getting chewed up pretty good with chunks already missing. The mower has about 45 hours on it and I have monitored the tire pressure, and both tires have the exact same pressure in them.

If it's my fault, I don't mind forking over the cash for a new tire. But if the problem is due to defective material, of course I want to take advantage of any warranty I am entitled to. Thanks for any insight.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a tire that sat in a hot warehouse for a long time before being put on your mower. Started separating. Definately a warranty issue

HOOLIE
06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Yeah definitely not normal for a tire. Take it back...

ncls
06-13-2007, 10:57 PM
You can turn them on concrete. Definitely a warranty issue.

Grits
06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
.....ditto

Mark in MD
06-14-2007, 08:04 AM
I've only seen that happen once -- on two 30 year old lawn mower tires. I've also had it happen a couple times a year or two after buying used trailer tires...