PDA

View Full Version : Ants in My Pants- Literally !

David Gretzmier
06-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Did a rebulb/reset the other day, and I was pulling out a pathlighter and preparing to take off the hat with my cordless drill when I felt something, and POW, I'm getting bit like crazy ! apparently I disturbed an ant farm, and they are everywhere- arms, legs, etc.

I do a slap dance, got a little loud, and of course said a few choice words. after I calmed down and the ants were defeated, I of course looked around to see who saw me, luckily not any one I could tell.

I showed the homeowner the ants in case he saw me, reccomended a pest guy, and found ants at the next two fixtures as well, but was on alert so no slap dance.

I did all the other fixtures and did the "anty" ones last, still a few ants, but doable.

any body else run into painful surprises? I'm sure some folks out there have stories.

BPC
06-14-2007, 12:22 AM
There was a new guy working with me a few years ago. While we were installing a system he got nailed by fire ants. He started freaking out and complaining about the bites. He apparently had never been bitten by them before. In my head I just keep thinking he is just being a sissy about it. I have been bitten hundreds of times by them and it isn't that bad. Turns out he was allergic to them and had to be taken to the hospital because he went into shock. That was his last day working with us.

klkanders
06-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Dang......would have liked seeing that on video.......can't top that one ....I killed a bunch of huge spiders that were looking at me the wrong way and flicked a tic off my arm.......

So I guess you will have a can of raid with you on service calls now?

Eden Lights
06-14-2007, 12:49 AM
While I have not seen any of them in Tennessee yet, I know several southern guys that always throw a little fire ant something? around every fixture and the trans.

NightScenes
06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I don't have a can of this stuff with me at this moment, I'm not at the office. If you go to your electrical supply house and tell them that you have ants, they will sell you some spray that is designed for use in electrical components. It is a spray powder and works very well. We spray it into our transformers and some fixtures when we do our installs.

Chris J
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Fire ants are a real prob down here in FL. we keep a bag of ant bait on the truck and treat around all ground mounts during service visits. This is one of the reasons I don't install wells. These are like ant motels, and they will usually build their mounds right over the top of the lamp. Can be a real pain to service when this happens....

Pro-Scapes
06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
fire ants are the worst here. Especially right after it rains. Been bitten up several times. If I gotta go into an area thats infested bad I put on calf high rubber boots and spray em down good with permithrin.

TforTexas
06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't have a can of this stuff with me at this moment, I'm not at the office. If you go to your electrical supply house and tell them that you have ants, they will sell you some spray that is designed for use in electrical components. It is a spray powder and works very well. We spray it into our transformers and some fixtures when we do our installs.

Lesco carries a product called Delta Dust that can be used as a deterrent in your fixtures that works real well.

Mike M
06-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I learned quickly down south to open all irrigation boxes like I'm turning over rocks in the woods, and I look carefully before sticking in my hand.

The other night I did a lighting demo, and the client wanted me to light up 3 cypress trees at a pond. I asked about aligators and not being able to see what was in the high grass, and they said, yeah, we have an aligator in this lagoon, but don't worry about it. I said thanks for letting me lead the way.

Some landscaper two years ago was spraying near a lagoon and got bit in the buttocks and taken to a hospital.

Mike M
06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
This is the community where I was doing the demo at the pond at night. This photo made national AP last year. Also, last year in the same community, some lady died of fire ant bites.

sheshovel
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I had a big black bee in my pants and had to do the drop my pants in the clients garage dance. Thank god no one caught me doing that!

ChampionLS
06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Sounds Bee-autiful!

David Gretzmier
06-15-2007, 01:46 AM
the alligator thing reminded me- the City of Fayetteville, AR ( population 65,000 or so) caught the the 2nd Black bear this month, behind a bank. I am not making this up. this was during the DAY.

And you thought pit bulls were the worst of your problems.

cpel2004
06-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Man that we be some good eating. Try Talstar it works for me.

Mike M
06-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Today I had whippoorwills freaking out inches from my face while mounting a tree light, I was inches from a nest and I thought for certain they were gonna peck my eyeballs out of my head.

David Gretzmier
06-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I told a lawncare buddy about the ant thing and he told me he had a close encounter with a gopher while pulling weeds. he claimed it "hissed" at him. I've never been that close to one, but hissing?

Mike M
06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
he claimed it "hissed" at him

I'd feel violated. You gotta look these animals in the eyes, hiss right back, maybe a little louder. If that doesn't work, try wearing a cowboy hat. Maybe doing some Clint Eastwood facial expressions. Animals respect that kinda stuff.

klkanders
06-22-2007, 01:34 AM
OK I look out the window before leaving my house this afteroon and right in the middle of my driveway is a skunk drinking water that had puddled up. Its lapping up water like there is no tomorrow (well it just so happens there will not be a tomorrow for the skunk) anyway it finishes and waddles away slowly then suddenly tips over on its side....like its drunk...... gets up and staggers away and to my dismay takes shelter under an old car I don't drive much anymore. This skunk obviously had rabbies or was messed up in the head and not wanting to take any chances with kids around I got it coaxed out and walking away from the house into the open before blasting it with a shotgun and then disposing of it properly.

David Gretzmier
06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
HOO-WHEE ! Down here in arkansas, my daddy tole me never shoot a skunk with a shotgun. like watching an m-80 blow up in the outhouse, not a good idear...

klkanders
06-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Haha It all turned out good....shooting skunks is not something I normally do for fun. David sounds like you had a shitty experience with an outhouse and an M-80? Care to share or can you still be brought up on charges yet?
Take Care!

Mike M
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Whenever my buddy had any kind of varmint on his property, he'd always say he was gonna shoot it in the face. I don't know why I just brought that up.

But for some reason, it reminds me of my cousin, Ron, who, on any given road trip, would always mention at least three times, that in the event that we hit a deer, he had a boot knife on him and would put it out of it's misery. Ron used to spend his paychecks on convenience store beef jerky and cool fishing lures.

Mike M.

David Gretzmier
06-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Hey- I think Ron's my cousin , did he have a gunrack in his f-150? it's the one that had some rust in the quarter panels and the loud mufflers- they had that nice double wide out on county road 422- near that barn ? the funny thing is this is specific, but yet vague in a southern way. :laugh:

Mike M
06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
I had a student in PA who answered the prompt "If I ever got rich" with "I'd get a double-wide."