PDA

View Full Version : split thread - oil changes

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Coon man has 10 dollar oil changes? What is he using water for oil ad a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter? most Vehicles use 5 quarts of oil at a minimum.. at 2.50 per quart thats 12.50, add on a 5 dollar oil filter. that brings the total to 17.50. Now you get to figure time is money. at 10 dollars an hour and about an hour to do it yourself, you are looking at 27.50 for that oil change.

Richard Martin
06-13-2007, 01:54 PM
ad a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter?

You'd actually be surprised at how well toilet paper filters oil...

And no, I'm not kidding.:)

coonman
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Coon man has 10 dollar oil changes? What is he using water for oil ad a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter? most Vehicles use 5 quarts of oil at a minimum.. at 2.50 per quart thats 12.50, add on a 5 dollar oil filter. that brings the total to 17.50. Now you get to figure time is money. at 10 dollars an hour and about an hour to do it yourself, you are looking at 27.50 for that oil change.

Most vehicles might, but my Dodge uses 4. You can catch O'Reilly10w30 on sale by the case for around 1.50 per quart. Oil filter is about 3.50. An hour to change oil!!!! Not hardley, try 15 minutes.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 06:12 PM
And where do you dispose of the oil? Add time to drive to the nearest oil recycling facility.

And what dodge uses 4 quarts of oil? a 1980 D50?

fiveoboy01
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
You'd actually be surprised at how well toilet paper filters oil...

And no, I'm not kidding.:)

Funny, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Frantz anyone?

A guy at work uses them on all his cars.

fiveoboy01
06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

That's what I'd like to know.

The guy obviously has zero idea of what true costs are. I'm venturing a guess he has no liablity insurance, does not pay an accountant to do proper bookkeeping, etc, etc.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
That's what I'd like to know.

The guy obviously has zero idea of what true costs are. I'm venturing a guess he has no liablity insurance, does not pay an accountant to do proper bookkeeping, etc, etc.

Exactly. I feel like one of the fortunate ones on here that manages to keep 60 percent of my gross. But I think that is due to my expenses are roughly the same as other regions of the country, but I can get higher prices for the same work.

I must be doing something wrong because I can not keep 90 % of my income like he can.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Funny, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Frantz anyone?

A guy at work uses them on all his cars.

I remember some infomercials years ago about a canister type toilet paper using automotive filter. The only problem with the claims in the commercial is that filtration is not the main reason for necessary oilchanges. Its that the oil breaks down and loses some of its properties that makes it lubricate. Its amazing that synthetic oil these days can go 12,000 miles before a necessary change.

coonman
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
And where do you dispose of the oil? Add time to drive to the nearest oil recycling facility.

Holy crap, next you will be asking me how long it takes to fill up my cooler with water and food before I mow, and to figure that into my cost. Oh I almost forgot let me figure the cost of that sandwich I bought on the way home. And lets not forget to figure in the 5 minutes it takes to sharpen those two blades. For the Record I DO have insurance, since my wife is an agent. I take my oil to my mechanic who is a mile away. The truck is a Dodge Dakota 4 cylinder. My accountant cost around 330 a year, which I was already paying because of multiple investments he has to figure for us. I know my costs very well, that is why they are so low. Give it a rest

fiveoboy01
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
I remember some infomercials years ago about a canister type toilet paper using automotive filter. The only problem with the claims in the commercial is that filtration is not the main reason for necessary oilchanges. Its that the oil breaks down and loses some of its properties that makes it lubricate. Its amazing that synthetic oil these days can go 12,000 miles before a necessary change.

See, a guy I work with was telling me the exact opposite(we were discussing it due to this thread).

He claims that oil only gets dirty, and that it's only necessary to change his TP filter every 3K miles or so. He bought a new toyota 2 years ago and says he is never going to change the oil.

I don't buy it one bit - I agree that the oil loses it's ability to protect due to breaking down, not just cause it gets dirty.

We shall see, maybe one day he'll come in whining about how his engine seized up:laugh:

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
See, a guy I work with was telling me the exact opposite(we were discussing it due to this thread).

We shall see, maybe one day he'll come in whining about how his engine seized up:laugh:

Lol I have researched oil to the end of the earth and back only because I race. Feel the oil when it goes in your vehicle, see how slow it runs and compare to the almost water that comes out. Oil works by molecules separating and rejoining. Its like velcro, rejoins so many times but then it wont stick no more.

keep me posted on how his engine holds up.

Richard Martin
06-14-2007, 04:44 AM
The guy is actually freshing up his additives package everytime he changes his filter by adding that new quart of oil. My wife's Cobalt has an electronic "oil minder" that tells when to change the oil and filter based on engine load, RPMs, outside conditions, and other factors. I change the Pennzoil 10W30 full sythetic in it at around 10 to 12 thousand miles regardless of what the oil minder says. Even at those extended miles the oil minder has never said that I needed to change the oil. Now if that guy is changing his filter and putting in a fresh quart of oil every 3 thousand miles then that is bascially the same intervals that I am running. He gets 4 fresh quarts of oil every 12 thousand miles.

KTO Enterprises
06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
A quart does not replace the additives lost in the other 4.