PDA

View Full Version : Quick 36 massive issues.

Liquidfast
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Took my quick to my last cut 2 nite. I cannot get the let to go up or down. I am unable to adjust the height. The bearing has seized. I tried everything..............anyone know what to do?

Richard Martin
06-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Take it to your local dealer and get it fixed.

Just kidding. Try soaking it with a penetrating oil like P.B. Blaster. Then while that's going on call Quick and get a replacement bearing sent out. If you have a parts manual look up the bearing number and see of you can get one locally.

TAZ
06-14-2007, 06:25 AM
I am assuming that you are refering to the front caster shafts. They shouldn't have seized. I agree with Richard. It's probably rust. Spray it with penetrating oil. After it's soaked in you can carefully use a rubber or soft mallet to tap it out. You'll probably want to use some sandpaper or something similar to clean the shafts off.

-TAZ

wildweasel7648
06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Better does warn you about the shafts and recomends you remove the rust with emery cloth. I just coat them with a little WD-40 once a week or so and never have a problem.

GPDesign1
06-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Greg;

little maintenance and I think your problem will be solved;

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Service+Tips%5FH%2Ehtm#Caster%20Fork%20Service

If the caster fork is stuck in the bearings, please resist the urge to beat on 'em with a hammer... it'll mushroom the end of the shaft and then you WILL have a problem. :hammerhead:

Just remove the linch pin and spacers (on top), clean the shaft and spray with some light lube like WD-40 or PB Blaster.

If they need to whacked, be sure to protect the end of the shaft with a piece of wood.

gp

PTP
06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I used to have a problem with the shaft rusting and sticking. I would spray with penetrating oil but then it would seize again. I switched to Fluid Film and it stuck around and did the job - no more sticking.

Liquidfast
06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Soaked in oil, sprayed with WD and nothing. Still seized.

docta
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Soaked in oil, sprayed with WD and nothing. Still seized.

Try PB Blaster(It's a different animal than WD-40), it worked for me. Also, this may be a little messy, but try spraying some on the bottom bearing. As was mentioned earlier, protect the top of the shaft if you have to use force.

Grits
06-14-2007, 11:41 AM
This is the 2nd post I have read about the casters getting stuck on the Q36. This will happen on ANY WB if you do not lube them. You need to grease them a minimum of once per week.
BTW, DO NOT hit them with a hammer. Proper lubing and wriggling and they will slide out.

General Landscaping
06-15-2007, 12:28 AM
While we have the Big Guy looking at this post.... maybe he can shed some light on why they use bearings instead of long sleeve bushings and a zerk?

The only reason I can come up with is to keep hands from getting greasy?
Does'nt really apply to me though, I set the height on my SD about a year and a half ago, have not messed with it since.

Grits
06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
While we have the Big Guy looking at this post.... maybe he can shed some light on why they use bearings instead of long sleeve bushings and a zerk?
The only reason I can come up with is to keep hands from getting greasy?
Does'nt really apply to me though, I set the height on my SD about a year and a half ago, have not messed with it since.

That is interesting. I didn't know they were set-up like that. I think I would rather have the busings and zerks.

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Why cant you add a grease jerk to the caster housing and grease it?

fiveoboy01
06-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Nothing an oxy/acetelyne torch won't take care of:)

Richard Martin
06-15-2007, 04:15 AM
why they use bearings instead of long sleeve bushings and a zerk?

It probably makes it easier to turn.

General Landscaping
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Why cant you add a grease jerk to the caster housing and grease it?

Because when the hieght is changed you will push a big wad of grease through, unless you can get it dead nuts perfect lined up.

GPDesign1
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Ball bearings turn with much less resistance than bushings which is a part of what makes Quick mowers so easy to steer. They also provide longer life.

Bearings are better. :)
Bushings are cheaper. :nono:

Clean and lubricate the forks occasionally and changing the height of cut becomes a non-issue.

Check out our new video!

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=VideoQuick36Intro%5FH%2Ehtm

Have a good weekend guys! :drinkup:

g

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 12:29 PM
You could use a grease zerk and put a zerl coupler on the end of a pump oil can full of Wd 40.

I never thought about the grease issue being messy while adjusting the height but I see now that whilr moving the spacers you would make a mess.

I wonder if John Deer corn head greas applied with a small prush while apart would work.

Matts lawn care
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Great video! You have convinced me to get the step saver! What is the shipping on that to MD 21044.

Liquidfast
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
After much soaking of the bearing.........the issue is resolved. I feel great and with the extra blades, it cuts nicely too.

LarryF
06-16-2007, 09:25 AM
After much soaking of the bearing.........the issue is resolved.

Hey! that sounds like what Gary said; i.e., "Clean and lubricate the forks occasionally and changing the height of cut becomes a non-issue." I haven't ever had the problem, and was surprised to read about it. Of course, I don't mow in the rain as some might do, but I always hose down my mowers after using them, so they go into the garage wet.

PerfectEarth
06-16-2007, 09:30 AM
You could hit it with a hammer if a block of wood is used...

ed2hess
06-16-2007, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=GPDesign1;1865025]Ball bearings turn with much less resistance than bushings which is a part of what makes Quick mowers so easy to steer. They also provide longer life.

Bearings are better. :)
Maybe add a sealed bearing.....never had the bushing seize up but do like your idea of a cleaner shaft when changing height provided with bearing.

JW Lawn
06-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I sprayed mine with fluid film, at the beginning of the year....no problems changing the cut height.....