PDA

View Full Version : Cutting in a drought

green-pa
06-14-2007, 01:57 AM
If a lawn looks 1/2 yellowed when it used to be mostly green and hasn't grown but about 1/4 to 1/2 what it usually does, do u still cut it? What if there is no rain forcast for several days and the turf needs moisture bad, will it hurt the grass to cut it? I'm imagining it will. I'm sure it needs all the shade it can get when it's dry to protect it from the suns rays. But what do u guys think?

Novaowner
06-14-2007, 06:33 AM
We're feeling the drought here in Tennessee too. I had been cutting this customers yard every week and they were letting me do it, even though a third of it was brown. Seemed like I was cutting air yesterday. I called them and left them a message that I would cut it every 10 days from now on until we get some rain. I may have to go 14 days before to long. I just feel if it doesn't need cutting why force the customer to pay? It's beginning to cut into my cash flow.

Half of my customers water their lawns, thankfully.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
I am only mowing my customers that have irrigation systems......until further notice......rolling my mowers on crunchy grass will do more harm than good...

green-pa
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Man, I'm down to about 1/3 of my normal gross for this week. So that means I'll be lucky to make 1/3 of what I have been making. God I hope next week is better. I also hope that these lawns don't turn to dirt. I don't recall a drought like this in Indy in recent years. But this is my first year so I'm sure I'm noticing much more now than I ever would've in the past.

timmac
06-14-2007, 12:11 PM
same here. i have some lawns that havent been mowed in 2 weeks and still don't need it.

green-pa
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
same here. i have some lawns that havent been mowed in 2 weeks and still don't need it.

I hate the feeling of "not being needed" anymore..lol Wish I had lotta cash saved up, then I could just take a vacation and tell everyone I'll be back when the rain makes a special appearance!

Prestige-Lawncare
06-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Supposed to rain here in Indy on Tuesday. Though one days rain won't fix it all, it will sure be some needed relief for the lawns and plants. North of Indy (Noblesville area) is experiencing a real drop in water pressure. They are recommending people only water their lawns every other day. If you address in an even number ... water on even number days. If it is an odd number ... water on odd number days.

Come on rain :hammerhead:

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
there is an all out ban on watering here.......good thing I am on a well....

deereequipment
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Same problem here in Maryland.
The last 2 nights, storms went throught the state. We got 1/10th inch the first night, and nothing last night!

La Nina, they say that is what is hitting us now, and dry conditions are here to stay.

Time to diverisfy. Find something else to do just to get by.

fearthedeere
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I feel ya guys...all I can do is just sit back and relax with this newfound downtime. I swear, about the time I get all my treated yards under control on the weekly schedule, they brown out and I don't mow them. Come on rain or come on landscape jobs! Oh well, I'm lookin forward to doin some good 4-wheelin the next few days!

F.S Lawn Care
06-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Same problem here in Maryland.
The last 2 nights, storms went throught the state. We got 1/10th inch the first night, and nothing last night!

La Nina, they say that is what is hitting us now, and dry conditions are here to stay.

Time to diverisfy. Find something else to do just to get by.

Bad luck, I'm in Herndon/Reston in Virginia, and im pretty close to you (If im thinkin of california maryland right off 235).......we got over 2 inches last night alone and I cut all day long. But I cut anyways sometimes I mean, especially when some of my customers are at work and just bill them at the end of the month.

NewWave
06-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah i cant really remember it being this bad for years. We have been in business 8 years and this is prob the worst year. Our mowing guys have slowed down a ton. We have gone from being 1-2 months out on work to a week or two. We have been working 6 days a week and are cutting it back to 5 this week and who knows about next. We just let go of 4 guys too. No work for them and dont want to eat up what we have too fast. With no rain we did 3 months of work in two it seems like.

We desperately need rain. We are dry dry dry up on the north side. Our irrigation sales are improving on one good note. I think landscaping is slowing down because the yards look so bad.