PDA

View Full Version : Garden/compact Tractor For Mowing?

NORTHMAN
06-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi,i know this is going against the grain of using ZTR(which i have) for mowing but I'm thinking about a garden/compact tractor for my accounts.Most of the lawns I mow are more weeds than lawns ,theres rocks,dips,holes,hills,etc. not ideal but I think I've found my niche,having a ZTR to mow fast is lost on me I just can't run fast.I need something I can use as a finish mower and a light brush cutter.The properties range from a 1/2 acre up.I'm trying to compare a tractor to a ZTR,I know the tractor will be slower but as I said thats not a big concern for me,the tractor will be more versitle.What about durability?I have a John Deere,Kubota and Kioti dealer in my area,any particular models to look at?i would think a hydro trans would be better for mowing than a gear trans,a mid mount mower would be more maneuverable,what about HP,any specific models?Thanks for any help.

POPO4995
06-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Check into the John Deere X700 Series. I just bought a X720 60" 7 IRON II Commercial deck tractor. You cant beat a garden tractor teamed up with the same deck the Deere ZTraks have! The X720 is the Electronic Fuel Injected 27HP Kawasaki.

Laner
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
We have a Toro ZTR, but I find that works best on the smaller lawns that are mostly flat. Many of our big lawns have some fairly steep hills on them that the ZTR is just not safe, so we have a JD X485 AWS and JD X724 AWS with the 62" deck. I demoed a JD 757 last year when I was looking to add another mower, but ended up trading my JD 425 AWS for the X724 AWS. Loved the cut of the 757, but still not as stable on the hills as the tractors. Also looked at the 60" 7 Iron II deck, but couldn't get that deck on an AWS tractor. I like the AWS tractors for mowing and blowing snow. Both tractors get used for snow removal during the winter.
If you have a need for a diesel, look at the JD 2305. They are a good solid little utility tractor at a decent price.

Don Woods
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Take a look at the John Deere X Series. I run a 575x series w/4WD that comes in real handy on the hills

johndeerefan
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
i would say for sure check out the john deere

Lawnut101
06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
If you don't go with John Deere (best) check out a Simplicity Legacy. Those are really nice. They cut fast and they are very powerful and versital.

Envy Lawn Service
06-16-2007, 12:44 AM
So you need something you could run a light duty bush hog on?

I'd recommend looking at the Kubota BX series if you want a Tractor with 3-point hitch.
I think John Deere has something in that range too. (2000 series?)

I'd Recommend looking at the Kubota GR series if you are looking for a big lawn tractor.
The Deere X700 series has some nice models too.

NORTHMAN
06-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies.I was thinking about a Deere 2000 or 3000 series or a Kubota B series,what do you all think?

Envy Lawn Service
06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Well, if you want a 3 point hitch, PTO, and more working versatility, that's the way to go.

You didn't mention having a dealer for New Holland.
They seem to have some nice ones in that range too....

Myself, I now like Kubota best for small tractors.
But you should try to demo and cut with whatever you are considering before you decide.

You may find one cuts way better than the others, or one has features you like better.