PDA

View Full Version : Pruning creeping juniper

JimmyStew
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I was at a clients house the other day when the client asked me about pruning some dead stems on a creeping juniper. She said that someone at the nursery told her not to prune that material off the plants due to the fact that if she did, it would do more harm. She also claimed that she disregarded this info and did remove some dead material on another juniper and the plant "never recovered". I have never heard this before, nor does it make much sense to me. Has anyone else heard this or know what the guy at the nursery might have been referring to?

I am aware that juniper will not set new buds on old wood, so hard pruning is not good, but on these juniper I am referring to the tips of the branches, say 4" to 6" back, where pruning would not expose old wood.

Gmgbo
06-14-2007, 07:55 AM
I always prune it off, it is usually tip die back or salt damage, and have never had a problem.

MILSINC
06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
The reason it never recovered is probably due to a factor other than the pruning of dead material.

jameson
06-14-2007, 10:25 AM
A good rule of thumb: Always remove diseased and dead wood. Always.

Anyhow, it sounds like phomopsis (Juniper tip blight) and selectively removing the dead/diseased wood is beneficial. Remove the diseased wood (preferably in dry conditions) and treat it like toxic waste. When finished, thoroughly sanitize your hand pruners with a denatured alcohol/bleach solution.

Kate Butler
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Personally, I prefer pruning junipers with any chainsaw an inch aboveground.

slclawn
06-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Personally, I prefer pruning junipers with any chainsaw an inch aboveground.

I agree thats a great idea.