PDA

View Full Version : Exmark vs Hustler

wildweasel7648
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM
I am looking at a new machine to replace my JD. I am introducing my customers to mulching and have started by using a Quick 36. The machine does and excellent job and the customers are amazed at how little difference there is in the appearance of their lawn when bagging and mulching. Now I would like a rider (Exmark or Hustler) that would do the same thing. Which is better? Both dealers are about the same as far as service, although one is in town and the other an hour away. By the way, the size of the machine would be small to medium (42 - 48"). Thanks for the help.

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 08:29 AM
I am looking at a new machine to replace my JD. I am introducing my customers to mulching and have started by using a Quick 36. The machine does and excellent job and the customers are amazed at how little difference there is in the appearance of their lawn when bagging and mulching. Now I would like a rider (Exmark or Hustler) that would do the same thing. Which is better? Both dealers are about the same as far as service, although one is in town and the other an hour away. By the way, the size of the machine would be small to medium (42 - 48"). Thanks for the help.

What model mowers are you looking at?

wildweasel7648
06-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Looking at an Exmark 44" Phazer or a Hustler Fast Track 42"

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 09:11 AM

In this pic i would go phazer. i think it has a better deck.

rob7233
06-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Forget the Phazer. Instead go with the Hustler Mini Z. Fastrac is an upscale homeowner model.

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Forget the Phazer. Instead go with the Hustler Mini Z. Fastrac is an upscale homeowner model.

Why not the phazer

MuleCutter
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
if you're lookin in the 42-48 inch range.... i'd look into the Lazer HP 19hp 46in cut. same power as the phazer and only 2 inches wider but you also get a much better frame and the new triton deck. i have this model and there is nothing i can say about this machine that is bad. i've been impressed with it for the past year that i've had it. and yes i do mulch with mine and it does an amazing job. i had the updated blade tip speed kit installed on mine and it seemed to help and mulch a little finer. by the way..... which dealer is closer? the exmark or hustler dealer? that was just my opinion on the mower to choose but i'd go with the dealer closest to you.

jbell113
06-14-2007, 05:08 PM

I have the Emark 44" deck with mulching system. It does an amazing job. I have one time customers call me and thank me for bagging there yard. I dont tell them I mulched it. It does very good in wet grass as well with no clumping. Tall grass does fairly well but you can run back over at full speed and clean everything up in no time. I cant say anything for the Hustler because I have never used one but Im sure they are good machines.

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
if you're lookin in the 42-48 inch range.... i'd look into the Lazer HP 19hp 46in cut. same power as the phazer and only 2 inches wider but you also get a much better frame and the new triton deck. i have this model and there is nothing i can say about this machine that is bad. i've been impressed with it for the past year that i've had it. and yes i do mulch with mine and it does an amazing job. i had the updated blade tip speed kit installed on mine and it seemed to help and mulch a little finer. by the way..... which dealer is closer? the exmark or hustler dealer? that was just my opinion on the mower to choose but i'd go with the dealer closest to you.

You are talking alot more money for the HP. you are also talking a 4" deep deck on the hustler then the 5" deep one on the phazer. the phazer is also like 400 pounds less then the hp.

walker/redmax
06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Lets see here. Three words. Ford vs. Chevy. Haha. I think it all really boils down to personal preference. I would recommend that you demo both and go with the one that feels best to you.

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Lets see here. Three words. Ford vs. Chevy. Haha. I think it all really boils down to personal preference. I would recommend that you demo both and go with the one that feels best to you.

Not really. to be educated on the machines is bliss.

walker/redmax
06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Not really. to be educated on the machines is bliss.

Let me clarify. I didnt mean that you should sit down on each mower and buy the one that has a more comfortable grip. It is definitely very important to do thorough research. But, yes, whichever one seems to be more suitable for your needs is the one that you should go with.:waving:

John Gamba
06-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Let me clarify. I didnt mean that you should sit down on each mower and buy the one that has a more comfortable grip. It is definitely very important to do thorough research. But, yes, whichever one seems to be more suitable for your needs is the one that you should go with.:waving:

Demoing is the best way to do it. you need to demo in the worst conditions possible to see how it responds. most demo or the smart dealer will only allow demos in the softest conditions(dry) theses type dealers are only out for your money.

If you can get a demo do it but know the mower you are on or are walking behind. also remember!! walk behinds ack very differently when you walk behind them or when you have a sulky on them.

MuleCutter
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
You are talking alot more money for the HP. you are also talking a 4" deep deck on the hustler then the 5" deep one on the phazer. the phazer is also like 400 pounds less then the hp.

if you finance it it doesnt come out to that much more per month... and you're also talking bout a 6 inch deep deck with the triton deck. but the guy should go with what he's comfy with including dealer location along with what meets his needs. just like everyone else.... i'm putting in my 2 cents

John Gamba
06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
if you finance it it doesnt come out to that much more per month... and you're also talking bout a 6 inch deep deck with the triton deck. but the guy should go with what he's comfy with including dealer location along with what meets his needs. just like everyone else.... i'm putting in my 2 cents

The triton is a loser deck where i am:cry: the heavy riders rut where i am to if its wet like its been.

wildweasel7648
06-16-2007, 01:23 AM
I appreciate the advice guys - it helps! I like the idea of the phazer's lighter weight - I pull my mowers with a TRD SR5 Tacoma, so I like to keep the weight of my equipment down as long as it does not comprimise the quality. Tested the Phaser today - really like the deck and they want 5800 for it with the ultravac (need it for spring and fall) What do you think? The hustler folks want about 6400 for fast track - thought that was out of line. Have not looked at a Super Z they don't have any on the lot.

John Gamba
06-16-2007, 06:55 AM
I appreciate the advice guys - it helps! I like the idea of the phazer's lighter weight - I pull my mowers with a TRD SR5 Tacoma, so I like to keep the weight of my equipment down as long as it does not comprimise the quality. Tested the Phaser today - really like the deck and they want 5800 for it with the ultravac (need it for spring and fall) What do you think? The hustler folks want about 6400 for fast track - thought that was out of line. Have not looked at a Super Z they don't have any on the lot.

Lighter weight so you dont rut. super Z could be 8,000 or more.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-16-2007, 07:06 PM
The Exmark will give you a better quality cut while mulching. I am a Hustler owner,love the hustler for Comfort and productivity nothing is better in my area for us. But the Exmark leaves just a better high quality cut.

thebeans
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM

$6400 for a Fastrack?? You're kidding, right?? A Fastrack with a 54" deck and a Honda engine is only $4900 here.

wildweasel7648
06-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Can't thank you guys enough for the advice - you made me think a lot about my purchase which is pretty significant to me. I am going with the Exmark Lazer HP with a 46" Triton Deck. Yes, the mulch kit will be installed. The phazer tempted me, but I have 3 properties that are 4 acres plus with all kinds of interesting obstacles! (including little old ladies!) I am having the 23HP Kaw. put on it because the mower is going to mulch most of the time - I figure more power is better right? I am also getting the stripper kit! I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas! It will still be ok on my trailer, a little heavier than I wanted, but I don't think durability or power will ever be an issue with this baby! I do have one question though, do you guys think the suspension seat is worth the money? I'll put pictures on here when I get her up and running. Should be here beginning of next week. :usflag: :usflag:
Thanks again, this site is a fantastic source for a lawn pro.

John Gamba
06-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Can't thank you guys enough for the advice - you made me think a lot about my purchase which is pretty significant to me. I am going with the Exmark Lazer HP with a 46" Triton Deck. Yes, the mulch kit will be installed. The phazer tempted me, but I have 3 properties that are 4 acres plus with all kinds of interesting obstacles! (including little old ladies!) I am having the 23HP Kaw. put on it because the mower is going to mulch most of the time - I figure more power is better right? I am also getting the stripper kit! I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas! It will still be ok on my trailer, a little heavier than I wanted, but I don't think durability or power will ever be an issue with this baby! I do have one question though, do you guys think the suspension seat is worth the money? I'll put pictures on here when I get her up and running. Should be here beginning of next week. :usflag: :usflag:

Yes on seat. did you demo the mower with the mulch kit on??? Sometimes when you mulch the Stripping kit(roller) will get rolled up with grass.

Congratulations on the mower.

lawnspecialties
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I just scanned through this thread fairly quickly but I didn't see one obvious question. Pardon me if it was already asked.

Why are you switching from JD?

I run two SuperZs (60" and 66"). I do not like their cut quality enough to get a smaller one for my residentials. This coming Monday, I'm going to demo a 717. From what I've learned and heard from LS members and several friends with 7-Iron decks, I'm going to love it. Just curious on your Deere thoughts and why you're switching.

John Gamba
06-21-2007, 06:55 PM
I just scanned through this thread fairly quickly but I didn't see one obvious question. Pardon me if it was already asked.

Why are you switching from JD?

I run two SuperZs (60" and 66"). I do not like their cut quality enough to get a smaller one for my residentials. This coming Monday, I'm going to demo a 717. From what I've learned and heard from LS members and several friends with 7-Iron decks, I'm going to love it. Just curious on your Deere thoughts and why you're switching.

Please let us know how you liked the 7iron.

lawnspecialties
06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Please let us know how you liked the 7iron.

I sure will.:)

wildweasel7648
06-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes on seat. did you demo the mower with the mulch kit on??? Sometimes when you mulch the Stripping kit(roller) will get rolled up with grass.

Congratulations on the mower.

Never thought of that, hopefully, I won't run into that problem too much. I have my customers pretty well trained as far as when they water and when I mow. An as far as mother nature (rain) is concerned, I'm working on it!:)

John Gamba
06-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Never thought of that, hopefully, I won't run into that problem too much. I have my customers pretty well trained as far as when they water and when I mow. An as far as mother nature (rain) is concerned, I'm working on it!:)

It looks like a pizza:laugh: :waving:

JaysLawns
06-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Phazer for 5800 way overpriced just like all exmark machines are. You can get a Hustler 52" Mini Z for right around $6100. I demoed it twice then fell in love and bought one. You cant go wrong with a Hustler, the simplicity and well built machines also leaves a nice cut. Also consider Hustler has a 4 year warranty on the engine and lifetime on the deck and frame.

MuleCutter
06-23-2007, 05:24 PM

congrats on your purchase weasel. i have the HP with the 19 horsepower engine and it does feel a little underpowered at times especially with the mulch kit. let me know how the 23 horse does in tall and wet conditions with the mulch kit.