PDA

View Full Version : Pre-emergents and post emergents on Bermuda sod

mikegbuff
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
If Bermuda sod was installed in November, would it be ok to put post emergent weed control on it now? It was quite a few broadleaf weeds. I was planning to use Weed B Gone from Ortho or the Spectracide or Bayer products at Lowes or Home Depot. Any opinion on these brands and which works best? From the label, it looks like Bayer is the only one that controls crabgrass. I just do not want to stunt the growth of the Bermuda. That's probably not possible since that stuff is so hard to kill!!! This is my first time dealing with sod though. It was slow to green up even though had put some fertilizer on it recommended by Lesco, so I just want to be sure I'm ok to spray the weeds now.
Also, I did not put pre-emergents on the sod this spring since it was not rooted in yet. I did not want to damage it. Would I have been ok to put pre-emergents down on the sod then?
Thanks.

Turfdoctor1
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
you were right to skip the spring pre-emergent, and you should be fine to go ahead with your broadleaf application now. As far as those products, i couldn't tell you. For the crabgrass, gonna be tough.

lilmarvin4064
06-14-2007, 03:24 PM
check the chemicals on labels that you are looking at.

try to find some products that contain 2,4-D, dicamba, mecoprop, MCPA or a few others.

AVOID THESE... fenoxaprop-p-ethyl, fluazifop-p-butyl, triclopyr.

If you were to go to a commercial supplier like Lesco or others, look for Eliminate-D or Speedzone Southern, but don't use speedzone when it's really hot + dry.

ThreeWide
06-15-2007, 09:01 AM
The traditional belief is that preemergent herbicides would impede root development on new Bermuda sod with the exception of Ronstar. Recent articles by UGA turf researchers now claim that commonly used preemergent herbicides do not cause damage if applied at labeled rates.

Regardless of which you believe, taking the conservative approach is fine. If your sod has received enough water, it will be well rooted by now. You can apply general broadleaf herbicides such as the ones you mentioned without hurting anything. Just avoid spraying them when the high temps are 90 or above. My guess is that you have some crabgrass since preemergent was not applied. You should use one of those products that contains a postemergent for crabgrass as well (hopefully quinclorac). Next time you fertilize, apply a product that has a preemergent included. Crabgrass and Goosegrass germinates until Fall, so you do need some protection. It is never too late to do this, and you should also apply another light round of preemergent in early September to prevent Poa.

mikegbuff
06-15-2007, 09:33 AM
TurfUnlimited
Your knowledge and willingness to share are very appreciated. Nice website by the way, I do some on the side and yours is well-designed and worded.

Mike

mikegbuff
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Just avoid spraying them when the high temps are 90 or above.

Hey TurfUnlimited - Should it the temperature be below 90 for a certain number of days preceding and also after the liquid post emergent application or only the day of application?

Thanks,
Mike

ThreeWide
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey TurfUnlimited - Should it the temperature be below 90 for a certain number of days preceding and also after the liquid post emergent application or only the day of application?

Thanks,
Mike

The day of application. But to be on the safe side you also should water in the next morning in case the temps increase that following day.

lorensanders
06-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Try Msma On Crabgrass Mix 3/4 Ounces Per Gallon Only In Back Pack.