PDA

View Full Version : How much slower is Exmark than Hustler?

FIRESCOOBY
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I've currently got a Hustler Mini-Z with 19hp Kaw that will run around 10mph.

I'm researching purchasing a new mower before the start of next season and I'm really leaning toward an Exmark Lazer AS 28/52. It's between that and a new Hustler Z or Super Z.

How much slower is the Exmark than the Hustler in mowing speed and travel speed? I do have a couple of large smooth accounts that I can mow full speed with my Mini-Z.

Thanks

Wet1
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I've found the small differences in machine top speeds are not nearly as important as machine top speeds under different loads.

For example: Lets say machine A) has a top speed of 12 mph, but has a smaller engine. Mower B) has the same size deck, but with a much more powerful engine (lets say a turbo diesel), but machine B) has a top speed of only 9.5 mph. A good percentage of my lawns have hills and thicker grass. Under these conditions, machine A) will work well below 9.5 mph where as machine B) will have no problem working at 9.5 mph all day long (and be far more productive).

Anyway my point is, there's more to it than stated top speeds. The Exmark with the 28/52 should be more productive than your 19/52... even if the rated top speed happens to be slower (and I don't know if that is the case).

Just my 2 cents.

TAZ
06-14-2007, 12:22 PM
The Exmark AS is rated at 9.5mph
The Hustler Super is rated at 15mph while the standard Z is rated at 9mph...

-TAZ

J.Gordon
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Get the dealers to let you demo them! It’s hard to tell someone how fast 15 mph is on the net.

But the Super Z is wicked fast and if you can mow at that speed on your properties then you will get done in a hurry.

I have a Super walk behind with a top mowing speed around 8 mph and I will finish about a half hour faster using it than I have with a Super Z, just because it’s rough and hilly.