PDA

View Full Version : When is it TOO dry to cut?

green-pa
06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I know my other post was similar but I want to get down to the nitty gritty.
If the lawn is 1/2 green 1/2 yellow is it ok? What if it is mostly yellow? I want to know how to tell? I'm losing bigtime this week as I'm sure many other midwestern state lco's are.

gary6768
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
When times are good $$$ you must prepare for rough times ahead.

green-pa
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
When times are good $$$ you must prepare for rough times ahead.

Yes this is true but some don't have anything prepared. I do have a little in savings but it will only last a few weeks I think. Next year I'm going to try and save up for at least 6 months of non-work. BUt I'm not asking for financial advice, I want to know how do u tell if u cut or not cut. when are u doing more harm or waste than good?

MJS
06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
This is what happens when you mow, and it's to hot and dry outside (no, it wasn't me that did it) :) These ruts were made by another company using a Ferris 48'' WB.

razor1
06-14-2007, 04:07 PM
If it looks anything like this. (not one of my regular customers) :laugh:

gary6768
06-14-2007, 04:14 PM
If cash is tight maybe you can sub out some of your services to other lawn companies.

carcrz
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
get a part time job if you don't have enough money coming in. Now would be a good time to push those mulch installs too!

green-pa
06-14-2007, 07:59 PM
get a part time job if you don't have enough money coming in. Now would be a good time to push those mulch installs too!

I may do that. If I have to I'll lower my prices a bit to get by. THis is insane! At least I got 1/2 my customers today and gained a new onw!

ed2hess
06-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Folks up north will soon learn to build houses on smaller lots so they can afford to irrigate. I have noticed that your temperatures have been higher than ours for the last couple years. Can't do without irrigation in our area period.....and P.S. do not run over yards that look like they are under stress or you will leave tracks and kill the grass.

DiyDave
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
If I get it right, you are asking under what conditions is it wrong to mow? The technical answer is when you can see a grayish set of footprints where you just walked. Another indicator is that the grass leaves are rolled up tight, and look like pine needles. Leaf breakage when you walk on it is another clue. Its hard to just walk away, but during a severe drought, it's your best option, just explain it well to your customers, that you are trying to look out for their best interests.:dizzy: :dizzy:

bohiaa
07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I know my other post was similar but I want to get down to the nitty gritty.
If the lawn is 1/2 green 1/2 yellow is it ok? What if it is mostly yellow? I want to know how to tell? I'm losing bigtime this week as I'm sure many other midwestern state lco's are.

If a lawn is only 1.5 yellow, your fine, as long as there 's no snow on it....

allways remember Dont eat any yellow snow

WHIPPLE5.7
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
We always have this in Montana. Mowing is weekly for everyone from May-mid June. Mid June-Sept. is only every other week or so due to the heat and dry. About 20% homeowners here have sprinkler systems but everybody cuts back on water use because of the cost. Spring cleanups, powerraking, aeration, and early season mowing is where all my money is made. From mid June on thru really sucks for lawn jobs.

HOOLIE
07-01-2007, 05:39 PM
This is why I switched to charging a flat-rate monthly...I have plenty of customers that do water...the ones that don't, is this my fault? Should I devote a space on my schedule for what essentially becomes a non-customer?

Steppenwolf
07-01-2007, 06:03 PM
If about half is green and the other half or parts are burnt and don't want to leave tire marks,cut in the same pattern as the last time and stop just before you cut the burnt grass.Unless you are looking you won't see where you stopped.

1MajorTom
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I may do that. If I have to I'll lower my prices a bit to get by. THis is insane! At least I got 1/2 my customers today and gained a new onw!

that's not the answer.