PDA

View Full Version : Does blade weight matter?

The Captain
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I normally run gator mulching blades on a 52" Turf Tiger. Here in the St. Louis area as summer heats up, the goose-grass and plantain seems to grow like mad. I do some cemeteries and other "untreated" turf areas and usually battle the stragglers or stringers. Often having to double cut. Yesterday I put on a set of high lifts and didn't have a problem with the stringers. I did notice however the high lifts weigh alot more than the mulchers. Both sets of blades are after market.
After all that........my question is :confused: , does the mass (weight) of a rotating blade make that big of a difference in cut quality? If so I'm going after the heavier blades.

Jim

Wet1
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm sure it makes a slight difference, but I've never encountered two sets of blades that were that dissimilar in weight that I could ever notice a real world difference.

I'd suggest you just use what cuts best for the conditions. Blade style will make far more change in effectiveness than the minimal variation in blade weight.

Meg-Mo
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
The weight does not matter but the balance does. If heavy blade out of balance more problems. This is what is nice about the MEG MO blades as they are balanced all the time when running.

TAZ
06-14-2007, 01:15 PM
The only thing that blade weight matters to really is you're clutch on start up and shut off. Once the blade is rotating at full speed the added mass should have no impact on cut quality.

Like wet one stated the blade sail configuration has a very large impact on cut quality in terms of how much lift the blade produces.

-TAZ