PDA

View Full Version : Driveway, which surface?

Philip Shantz
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Could one of you give me a quick "pros and cons" of both blacktop and concrete to surface the driveway below?

The current material is weed-infested pit-run gravel...

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7898/driveway2xe7.jpg

Thanks,
Philip

John Zaprala
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
The pros of blacktop are: inexpensive, flexible through freeze-thaw cycle, and maintainable. The cons would be: there is maintenance involved to keep it nice, longevity is less than concrete. Concrete: pros: if properly poured it will last a lifetime, low maintenance, easy to clean (especially when sealed) cons: I see you live in washington, eventually it will crack and sectiosn may need to be replaced in the future where one section to remove and repour may cost as much as 50% of the original price for the whole driveway. I usually let my customers know the pro and cons of all driveway materials and try to suggest pavers. It's the best of both worlds, little maintenace, it can't crack, it's flexible, and if anything did happen to a section it is simply relaid.

IA_James
06-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Bellingham is close to the ocean though, correct? Do you get the freeze/thaw stuff being on the coast? Without the freeze/thaw stuff, concrete (properly laid and reinforced, that is) will last next to forever.

Philip Shantz
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Most of winter is usually in the high 30's low 40's with endless water falling from the sky.. Perhaps one or two times a year we'll freeze and get snow for a week or two (some years not at all). So the answer is "sort of" but definitely not a real bona-fide "frost heave" kind of enviorment.

greg1
06-16-2007, 12:37 PM
For that particular setting, I would keep the country charm of gravel for the driveway. Possibly a red-barn gravel.