PDA

View Full Version : Worst Accident

walker/redmax
06-14-2007, 07:04 PM
What is the worst accident that you have ever had on the job? There have been a couple of threads about rollovers on Zs that have kind of got me thinking a little bit more about safety. I've been fortunate enough to never have anything serious happen to me but I know that its not that uncommon. Anyone out there with 9 fingers because of reaching under a mower deck ect. I know that I am guilty of doing this while the engine is running. Which is obviously a big no no and something that I am definitely going to make an effort to stop doing. So whats the worst?

Mowingman
06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
About 10 years ago, I cut my knee with a chainsaw while taking down a tree.
Never felt it, it happened so quick, but noticed the left leg of my blue jeans was cut. When I took a close look, I could clearly see my kneecap. I nearly passed out, but since I was out by myself, I knew I had to keep myself together and drive to the hospital. It took 14 stitches to close the wound.
That is my worst accident to date.

johnnywill08
06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
my friend was limbing up some trees, i was dragging the brush from underneath- guess what happened..... 8 ft limb came straight down like a spear... someone yelled "heads up" so i covered my head with my (thankfully) left hand. well that didn't do $hit... went right through the hand (obliterating it) and opened a 4" diameter horseshoe in my head.

i was taken to mass. genral where a bad ass doc put the hand back together (out of like three pieces of bone and lots of rods and pins), put 40 stitches in my head and 6 months later i was pretty much fine.

i call it my million dollar injury because i took the check from the insurance co. for "disfigurement & loss of function" 9which actually wasn't that bad... and started my own landscape company.... 5 years in and i'm doin pretty good....

F.S Lawn Care
06-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Today I came the closest to a bad injury while mowing with my belt driven. I was on a steep hill and I missed some grass when I turned, so I tried pulling it up the hill a bit, but it was wet so I slipped. My left foot went under the mower and my boot got a little beat up at the tip. Any further and my foot probably would've been chopped off. I should probably invest in getting safeties for both of my mowers which dont have any.

johnnywill08
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Today I came the closest to a bad injury while mowing with my belt driven. I was on a steep hill and I missed some grass when I turned, so I tried pulling it up the hill a bit, but it was wet so I slipped. My left foot went under the mower and my boot got a little beat up at the tip. Any further and my foot probably would've been chopped off. I should probably invest in getting safeties for both of my mowers which dont have any.

that eact thing happened to me once and the 2 seconds between when you're foot goes under to when you take a look at it to check it are basically a mini-heart attack