PDA

View Full Version : Broken window Pay or no pay?

tjcezar
06-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I had one of my property managers call today and leave a message saying we broke a window today. How do you guys handle that situation. I did the mowing and I didn't remember hitting anything(not to say it didn't happen) but I guess one of my guys could have trimming. I just thoiught it strange for no one to come get us right when it happened. And if no one was there at the time how do they know we did it? Could have been kids? I just get funny about things like this because when you are in business everybody thinks they can get something from you or free from you. I had a guy try to have me replace his pool liner because we removed a 2 x 2 concrete block from his pool deck. He said the vibration made the liner come apart. I mean ridiculous stuff. Anyway it is possible that we did it because the place is basically a rock farm with a little grass but it also possible we didn't. All my mowers have disccharge chutes for protection and we use them but in a place like this where there is a lot rocks they might not help. What do you guys do when you have a place that is like this?

David Hartzog
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
windows happen. i had 2 bust in one week a couple weeks ago. NAPA and Waffle House...if you know waffle House windows are the BIG ones. i dont remember half these incodents either. rocks fly so fast and sometimes these things arent noticed right away.

i usually opt to pay for them out of pocket because i had an insurance company drop me for too many windshield claims one year. you can claim them, but if you can swing the repair, pay it and right it off as a repair. you'll keep the client happy anyway.

but i noticed this was your first year. dont sweat windows...they happen.

carcrz
06-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Just fix it & make them happy. If you make them pay for it, you're going to lose a customer. What's more expensive - a $200 window or money from them the whole year?

tjcezar
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
been full time (mowing-in business for 6) for about 3 years and so far no windows till now.

lawnMaster5000
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
pay for the window - it seems pretty likely that it was you despite your precautions.

I thought your question was going to be if you should make them pay for the mowing. I pay for the window to get fixed as quickly as possible (usually a few days) and still charge for the mowing.

There is a window guy I work with and send about 1.5 jobs a year to him.

David Hartzog
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
been full time (mowing-in business for 6) for about 3 years and so far no windows till now.

sorry, i misread the numbers on the join date.

howardsells2000
06-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I broke one today. While I was edging the sidewalk a rock flew up and hit the storm window on the front door. It cost me $165.00. The worst part is the house is a Townhouse that I charge $25.00. I should have stayed home today. I broke one last year and paid for it aswell. I don't want to make any unneccesary claims on my insurance, plus I have a $500.00 deductable.

txgrassguy
06-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I budget two grand per year in broken windows, vehicle or structure, before my crews end up paying for their screw ups. Usually by May they have hit their limit and end up paying about twenty each on average per person per window.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-14-2007, 11:58 PM
What are the odds of hitting a window? Say if your mowing 40-60 small yards a week? This kind of worries me having to repair one :). And what usually causes them to break? Trimmer, edger, mower? Any way to prevent?

Bama Mower
06-15-2007, 12:36 AM
I would pay for it out of my pocket. I dont think that there is really a way to prevent it. I was weedeating at a storage building and caught a rock and it flew up into the window and hit the lady at the desk in the arm. She thought it was funny and wouldnt let me pay for it. Her storage buildings are pretty much all gravel. I mean its bound to happen sometime.

cpel2004
06-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Yeap it happens, pay for it and move on my friend.

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 02:25 AM
The way the insurance companies are nowadays I would pay for it out of my pocket.

I always look at windows during mowing and was blamed one time for a broken window and when I pointed out that there was no glass on the inside of the unit or on the outside plus the baseball size dent in the drywall on the opposite side of the room the complex manager said ohhhh OK. No have to replace that one but I have broken my fair share myself.

It sucks but its part of the business.

coonman
06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I would say pay to avoid losing the customer. We have always just taken it off their bill. Otherwise they are sending you money and you are just sending it right back. It makes it feel less painful when you don't have to cut that check.

stick9
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I shot out a back doorwall one year when the trimmer caught a rock. I didn't even notice but the homeowner walked over to me and politely said "You just broke my doorwall!" ..

My boss paid for it. Those things happen.

bullethead
06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
pay it out of pocket and be done with it. but for people driving by in cars that claim you broke their window, tell em to take a hike.

johnnywill08
06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I budget two grand per year in broken windows, vehicle or structure, before my crews end up paying for their screw ups. Usually by May they have hit their limit and end up paying about twenty each on average per person per window.

$2k a year just for broken windows?!?!?!? c.mon dude, you guys must be like the keystone cops. no offense but who the hell would hire/keep you guys if you break that many windows? i been doin this for 15 years and NEVER broken a window.... i've had one guy break 2 in three yrs and nothing else..... gotta be careful.....

Stillwater
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
fix the window imeadeatly

Stillwater
06-17-2007, 06:34 AM

the quality of your business is that awsume you budget 2 grand for broken windows?

That is F-in.... ******ed..

you make your guys pay for broken windows? really? if you are a leagle above board business and have insurence and pay taxes you would know that is illeagle in a huge way. you can't under ANY cercomestances garnish wages. for documented hours worked. if you think I am wrong then prove me wrong.

Garden Thyme
06-17-2007, 07:03 AM
I had a broken car window the other week, also no knowledge of how it happend, even if it was me or not, but what i've done was asked the owner to claim it on their insurance and I just payed the excess. If it was a house window I would just pay for it but ask for a receipt as here in the uk we can claim this back from the taxman.

GrassBustersLawn
06-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I broke one today. While I was edging the sidewalk a rock flew up and hit the storm window on the front door. It cost me $165.00. The worst part is the house is a Townhouse that I charge $25.00. I should have stayed home today. I broke one last year and paid for it aswell. I don't want to make any unneccesary claims on my insurance, plus I have a $500.00 deductable.

DOUBLE CHECK on your deductible! Most policies do not have a DEDUCTIBLE applicable for LIABILITY claims (which is what YOU breaking a clients window is). Deductibles apply to YOUR STUFF, such as a blower being stolen.

My guys have broken 2 windows in 10 years. One was a sliding glass door that cost $500 to be replaced. I turned that in to my insurance...NO DEDUCTIBLE. Another was a tiny garage door window that the client replaced for $6. You've never seen $6 come flying out of my wallet so fast when he told me how much it was!

Mike

MOturkey
06-17-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought the same thing after reading a similar thread a while back, but checked my coverage, and, yes, my policy has a $500 deductible on liability claims as well. It is through Cameron Mutual. I got a quote from my Allied agent, where I have my home and auto coverage, and their policy was almost identical, with a higher premium, so I didn't switch.

I'm thinking purchasing a policy without the deductible would be much more expensive, as broken windows seems to be a pretty common occurence.

If some of you guys have better coverage at a reasonable cost, let us know what company.

haybaler
06-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Keep the gaurds on your weed wackers(mostly for employee protection) I see so many guys take them off. also pay attention to where the weed wackers are throwing the grass (and stones) usually u can aim away from windows. no matter how carefull you are it will happen eventually. it's kinda like the lottery. I made the mistake of claiming it on my insurance and they went up a thousand dollars on the deductable

Stillwater
06-18-2007, 04:19 AM
I shot out a back doorwall one year when the trimmer caught a rock. I didn't even notice but the homeowner walked over to me and politely said "You just broke my doorwall!" ..

My boss paid for it. Those things happen.

What the frack is a doorwall?:confused: