PDA

View Full Version : Commercial 21's

BotetourtBoy3
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
I have two questions

1. What normally are the prices for commercial 21" mowers?

2. What is a good band of 21" mowers for the cheapest price? Could i go to Lowe's and buy a John Deere 21" and use it for commercial use, would it stand up?

green-pa
06-14-2007, 06:48 PM
I've got a 21 inch john deer I bought from lowes about 2 months ago. I do about 25-30 lawns per week and most are about 1/6 acre avg. So far I've had 1 height lever broke, 1 messed up and had to fix it with washer, both handle screw/adjusters broke had to replace, but other than that, it runs well. I wouldn't get the kind with the rotating castor wheels. Mine is bent and is why the wheel broke of in the first place. The right side wheel always is rotating and it's annoying! Especially when u are going straight and want nice lines. However it does do good lines. I'd recommend commercial but u may be like me and only able to get something more affordable.

txgrassguy
06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
The primary difference between commercial and residential mowers is in the thickness of the deck, the durability of the wheels/height adjusters/blade and attaching mechanism and in the overall heavier construction of the commercial unit.
Buy a residential unit for commercial use is a crap shoot at best.
Prices for new commercial units start at around $1K and up.
However, it is money well spent.

green-pa
06-14-2007, 07:02 PM
ARe commercial mowers in the 21in range quicker than a home owner model. My John Deer goes about 3.5 or 4mph, much faster than my troy built I'd returned. I went from a $350 mower to a $500 one. But I'm about ready to either get a commercial 21 with the credit line I've been approved for and use the jd as a helpers mower or back up, or purchase a 32-36wb.

BotetourtBoy3
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
The primary difference between commercial and residential mowers is in the thickness of the deck, the durability of the wheels/height adjusters/blade and attaching mechanism and in the overall heavier construction of the commercial unit.
Buy a residential unit for commercial use is a crap shoot at best.
Prices for new commercial units start at around $1K and up.
However, it is money well spent.
I had my eye on a Toro PT21 Trim mower, about how much does one cost 500 or under?

txgrassguy
06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
I am not familiar with the Toro PT21 Trim mower so I cannot quote cost.
My Gravely professional 21'ers cost me $895 each as I bought in volume (5) however this particular model was abruptly discontinued.
So now I buy ExMark 21" at $1375.00 each.

J&T Kiev
06-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Toro\Exmark 21's are just about bullet proof for me. I put my first Toro into service during the 1997 season; it's still running strong. Toro is in the upper end of the price spectrum, but give many, many years of reliable service.

outlaw1960
06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I've been running a honda hydro 21 since 1995, toro pro-line before that, appx 6 years. You really do get what you pay for, hth outlaw

BotetourtBoy3
06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I've been running a honda hydro 21 since 1995, toro pro-line before that, appx 6 years. You really do get what you pay for, hth outlaw
well does anyone know of a inexpensive commercial 21"? 700 or below

KS_Grasscutter
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
ARe commercial mowers in the 21in range quicker than a home owner model. My John Deer goes about 3.5 or 4mph, much faster than my troy built I'd returned. I went from a $350 mower to a $500 one. But I'm about ready to either get a commercial 21 with the credit line I've been approved for and use the jd as a helpers mower or back up, or purchase a 32-36wb.

My Deere JX75 is "almost" a commercial mower I guess. After tweaking the RPMs, in 5th gear it is a VERY fast walk, I would say 6 or 7 mph maybe? So yea, its pretty quick. My next 21" is either gonna be a Honda or Toro, and definitely a commercial one.

Exact Rototilling
06-14-2007, 11:01 PM
We have a current generation Toro 21 Super Recycler with the self pace system which I use to cut my dads lawn. I also have an older generation 3 speed Toro purchased in the 1996/1997 era. All have held up really well. These are not the cheapie Home Depot or Lowe's version of mowers. Both of them were in the $650 - $750 range. They are not being used commercially as of yet but I working on it now. My Dad has an older Areins 21 that is comparable to the current production Pro Ariens with the Kawasaki engine. The Mulching Toro's do a great job of Mulching however you need to go a bit slower. They bag clippings well but not nearly as well a the high suction Ariens Pro 21 which allows you to mow at top speed. The Areins is a horrible mulcher compared to the Toro. You have to go super slow for it not to bog down.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on the higher grade 21's. I was at Home Depot today and looked at their low end Toros and there is no comparison to the higher end consumer products not sold by the big box stores.

Now the difference between the Toro Proline and the High end consumer mowers I don't know. I suspect they are similar in quality however I believe the Proline Toro is not set up for mulching? Correct me if I'm wrong on this difference. The Toro Mulchers have the kicker wedges under the deck and added air flow booster wing mounted in conjuntion with the blade. Honestly the late generation Toro Mulcher does better job of mulching - no 100% sure why.

YMMV