PDA

View Full Version : Is this oil thing broken?

Vikings
06-14-2007, 08:29 PM
My 36" popped up on top of this 21" super recycler (frustrating day..) next thing I know oil is leaking from this thing, it popped out. It's the oil funnel that you pour oil into the machine, it popped out at the base.

It pops back in but it's rather loose and comes back out real easy.. is this a "do it your selfer" or bring it in?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/poppedout.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/generalarea.jpg

Restrorob
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
There is a "O" ring on the bottom of that fill tube that seals it inside the engine, If you remove the fuel tank you will see a tab made onto the fill tube with a screw to hold it to the top of the blower housing. If the tab is broke get a new fill tube and install it your self.

ashs inc
06-14-2007, 10:10 PM
rob is the man. dude you know everything!!!

ccs79
06-14-2007, 11:10 PM
We have a couple of mowers with a similar Briggs engine, but I've never seen one with an oil filter. Is that an add on? I thought they were splash lubricated.

Vikings
06-14-2007, 11:57 PM
There is a "O" ring on the bottom of that fill tube that seals it inside the engine, If you remove the fuel tank you will see a tab made onto the fill tube with a screw to hold it to the top of the blower housing. If the tab is broke get a new fill tube and install it your self.

Good call (again):)

I discovered the tab that holds the bolt to the housing for the fill tube. It was intact but the housing it self was loose. There are 4 bolts holding the housing onto the engine, the two in front were there but the two in back, right under and beside the fill tube were missing. I guess the loose housing allowed the o ring to pop out.
I bought a couple new bolts and tightened the housing down good then I reattached the the oil fill tube and it's like new again.

What chokes me is that I had service done to that machine at the dealer where I bought it. It wasn't starting, they adjusted the valves.. anyway, the very top plastic web piece that goes over the pull cord was dislodged. I slapped it back into place and never gave it a 2nd thought till now. They must have took the housing off and never put those bolts back in.

The original problem with this mower was my guy pulled the cord to start it and the cord got stuck. I pulled the cord, inch by inch, hoping it would snap back in but all it did was get stuck fully out. So I got that rewound but there was a moment when I thought it was going to get stuck again. It almost did. I restarted the mower several times testing to see if the cord was going to stick. Might have to replace that part if it becomes problematic, not a true commercial machine but now that I have the 36" it's regulated to trim work and some back yards.
I have a feeling those service guys took that housing off and didn't put the bolts backs in.

But thanks for the help again.:clapping:

Vikings
06-15-2007, 12:02 AM
We have a couple of mowers with a similar Briggs engine, but I've never seen one with an oil filter. Is that an add on? I thought they were splash lubricated.
It's standard on the super recycler but It's not on my normal recycler. I don't like that oil filter, I always make a mess when I change it. I also got on my kawa 15 HP engine.