PDA

View Full Version : Feedback welcome on in progress work

Captains Landscape
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
irregular blue stone patio & versa-lok wall, bolduc pavers....

Captains Landscape
06-14-2007, 08:59 PM
versa-lok wall in progress

bobcatnj
06-14-2007, 09:19 PM
nice wall with steps. i have a job coming up like that. how did you go about the steps? pedestal method?

DVS Hardscaper
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
The guy is standing on one foot.

Is he taking a field sobriety test?

Captains Landscape
06-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Pedestal method, every five step section has it's own pedestal. For example, there are eight steps, the top three the Pedestal was re started.

Captains Landscape
06-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure what he is doing, I know he was mad at that fire pit:hammerhead:

ChampionLS
06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey! you stole my all-metal handle wheelbarrow. Love them! they can easily handle 660 LBS of stone and not break. (the weight of one full wheelbarrow of stone)

Captains Landscape
06-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Is there a demand for the cobblestone driveway entrance apron in other states? They are a PITA (we lay each cobble as if it were a base block with a dead blow) but huge demand here...

ChampionLS
06-15-2007, 04:02 AM
Hint : use an electric jackhammer with a tamper pad accessory tip, and you can easily pound them level with minimal effort.

therainman
06-16-2007, 11:41 AM
The guy is standing on one foot.

Is he taking a field sobriety test?

He works for the Captain.... Every Captain commercial I have seen he is standing on one foot. ( Captain Morgan ):drinkup:

McKeeLand
06-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey! you stole my all-metal handle wheelbarrow. Love them! they can easily handle 660 LBS of stone and not break. (the weight of one full wheelbarrow of stone)

i finally got tired of replacing handles last year and did what i wanted to do for years and bought some square aluminum stock and use it for the handles. i cut the ends off the broken handles and insert them into the square stock and through bolt them in.

now i see they come on wheel barrows, figures!

ChampionLS
06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
About 4 years ago, we were working in an industrial complex, along with the Steel Workers union. They were building a warehouse. They had several wheelbarrows with a big fat daddy wheel and all steel handles. I was like OMG where did you get those? It was a True Temper Industrial model. I called True Temper and a dealer in Virginia shipped me up two. They were about $95 each. They can easily hold whatever you can fit into it- which turns out to be 660 lbs of QP heaped and falling off the sides. We actually weighed it on a scale one time just to know. The tire is also foam filled, ball bearing with grease fittings. They are so good, we lock them up at the job site at night. Now I see LOWES carries their version of it. I think it's John Deere green but they are all metal handles too. Probably a private labeled True Temper. Very happy with them. :cool2:

zedosix
06-17-2007, 08:57 PM

My hydraulic wheel barrow holds 1800 lbs and I stand on it. Oh and my other one holds the same amount and I sit on it. Why are you still lifting Champ?:confused:

ChampionLS
06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Ooooh do you have one of those muck truck thinggys? :weightlifter:

TheKingNJ
06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
looks good. I love the bluestone.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Check this baby out. http://www.kelso.com.au/cattleprod/products/W1102XHD I had these when I had a Kwik Kerb concrete business. They use a walk behind tire. The are so stable when you have a bunch on concrete in them. I miss those barrows, but not the curbing business. These are expensive to get here in the states.

zedosix
06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Ooooh do you have one of those muck truck thinggys? :weightlifter:

A what? No its a kubota KC51, the other one shown here is made by a co. called Cormidi. It rated at 800kg's. Or 1760 lbs.

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I reallyu like the blue stone and steps....Question tho.. Why no lights built into the sides of the steps ? Good upsell since your that involved in the project. Integrals or a deck light surface mounted would of been real easy to add at the time.

MarcusLndscp
06-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Ah the old stomping grounds of Cape Cod....glad I don't have to do too much cobble anymore like when I was on the Cape. I think there's a law that states if you buy or build a home on the Cape that doesn't have a cobble apron you need to put one in within 30 days or else your azz is back over the bridge

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Check this baby out. http://www.kelso.com.au/cattleprod/products/W1102XHD I had these when I had a Kwik Kerb concrete business. They use a walk behind tire. The are so stable when you have a bunch on concrete in them. I miss those barrows, but not the curbing business. These are expensive to get here in the states.

This is the same type of wheelbarrow we have, but ours has a big skid pad under the back handles (not just a loop of steel). This helps keep the foot lasting longer. They weren't that expensive - about $95.00 each.

ChampionLS
06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Heres a picture of the MuckTruck. Think I want one!!

www.mucktruckusa.com

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Finished Patio & fire pit, in the process of designing softscape

D Felix
06-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Were you drunk when you laid out that walkway??? I don't think I've ever seen one with such an abrupt curved change of direction!!!! You would have had a better looking walkway with a much more gentle curve to it. Don't force so much into one area!

On your original set of pics, on the VL corners, flip your Standard half-blocks over. The angle of your picture would still show the grooves, but if you were standing up, the grooves would be hidden. Drove us nuts the first time we used VL trying to disguise the grooves until the manufacturers rep pointed out that they could be flipped over.

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I did have a little Captain in me.... Take it easy, the backyard is to have a Roman theme, there will be ornamental trees staggered on the sides of that walk, you will like the end result.

on the VL, where can you see the groves? When you say groves you mean the receiving groves for the pins?

D Felix
06-22-2007, 07:18 PM
The half-blocks (standards) have multiple grooves in them. I have no idea what the little grooves are for- they really have no purpose...

I'll see if I can pull your pic and edit it to show you what I mean.

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 07:18 PM
oh...the wall. I will try that, I was after those with the chisel:weightlifter:

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 07:20 PM
the fire pit has VL weathered mosaic cobble units, I thought you could see them there...

D Felix
06-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's what I mean. I circled in red what I'm talking about.

I can vaguely see the same grooves on the Accents as well, but I didn't circle them.

Take the blocks I circled on the right side and flip them over and put them on the left side. Vice versa with the left side blocks. Again, for your camera angle, the grooves will still be seen, but for the normal person seeing it standing on the ground next to the wall, it won't be seen.

Flipping the blocks won't allow pinning (unless you drilled), but I doubt you were able to pin the blocks there anyway unless you drilled. Glue it up and you'll be fine.

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Felix, I like your method better than what I have been doing. The corners have more PL on them then my favorite pair of jeans, but I will try your way next.

There is always talk about base prep in the posts, here is what we do...

Henry
06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm picturing Tom Cruise hanging from a tree, trying to steal your compactor.

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
The half-blocks (standards) have multiple grooves in them. I have no idea what the little grooves are for- they really have no purpose...

I'll see if I can pull your pic and edit it to show you what I mean.

HAHAHA! the "Little Grooves" are for making Double Sided Wall. It's a splitting groove. VL was ahead of the game in that area 10 years ago.

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Felix, I like your method better than what I have been doing. The corners have more PL on them then my favorite pair of jeans, but I will try your way next.

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS MESS! ??!??!?!???! :dizzy:

GreenMonster
06-22-2007, 10:12 PM

holy chit! How the hell do you get a rake in there to move around gravel???

I like the strings to be laid out in more of a grid so you can work a section at a time, and actually get a rake in there.

Sorry, I have to agree with Dan on that walk. The curves look forced, and with very few exceptions, IMHO, you gotta have a soldier course.

Bluestone looks good except for a few small pieces.

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Anyway...back to what I was originally going to post before I got distracted (haha)...

Heres a pic of a similar wheelbarrow I had mentioned earlier. (Ours has all steel handles, but the rest looks the same) I can't find a pic of the exact ones we use, but I'm looking...

I think this is it (link)
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/83-522-wheelbarrows-steel/steel-wheelbarrow-with-handle-653130.aspx

The part # is Aubuchon Item # 653130

GreenMonster
06-23-2007, 06:28 AM
wheelbarrows are for mulch

D Felix
06-23-2007, 05:23 PM
HAHAHA! the "Little Grooves" are for making Double Sided Wall. It's a splitting groove. VL was ahead of the game in that area 10 years ago.

I'm very aware of the purpose of the pinning grooves. You don't see the "little" grooves I'm referring to in the pic I edited. The pic I edited shows the pinning grooves.

The grooves I'm referring to may not be manufactured everywhere. They certainly are with our supplier. They are "V" shaped and roughly 1/8" deep and about that wide as well. Unlike the pinning grooves (which aren't in the middle 3-4" of the block), these little grooves are full-block-length grooves...

Captains Landscape
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Stop :cry: . See the grid under the web? We level each section then run that web mess after to check uniformity over the whole thing. I knew it looked funny so I put it up. That walk is 40' long, you will like it when it has the soft scape. Soldier course would help, but customer doesn't like the look.

SouthernYankee
06-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Those pics reminded me of the Cape, I miss home!!!

GreenMonster
06-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Ah the old stomping grounds of Cape Cod....glad I don't have to do too much cobble anymore like when I was on the Cape. I think there's a law that states if you buy or build a home on the Cape that doesn't have a cobble apron you need to put one in within 30 days or else your azz is back over the bridge

Someone should ship your azz back over that bridge

ChampionLS
06-24-2007, 04:22 PM
D Felix:
I'm not referring to the pinning grooves. I'm talking about the very subtle "v" groove that runs the whole length of the block. If you split off the backside, and flip every other block, you can make a double sided straight wall. That was the purpose of the groove.

Capitan :
Pulling strings all over the place at ground level isn't going to give you an accurate reading of grade. String lines are affected by gravity. I don't care if you pull it tight with two army tanks. It will ALWAYS sag in the middle. That is a law of Physics.

Addionally, if your string line gets wet it will sag. I can see by how dirty the string is in part of your photo, that it's been run over by walking or wheelbarrow, and I'm sure it's absorbed moisture from ground contact. You should be using a laser or transit to check base height. It's much easer, and there's no strings to trip over.

MarcusLndscp
06-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Someone should ship your azz back over that bridge

You SOB.....is that the most creative you can get???? So, the big house closing is at 8:30 tomorrow morning and then we're moving all week. I've decided I'm going to start arranging my schedule like yours where I have time to take care of whatever I want...you know things that don't involve work. That and I'm definitely going to jump on your band wagon of only "working" 6 or 7 months a year. I figure for the rest of the year I'll sit back and enjoy life all the while calling myself a snow removal contractor like you guys do.:laugh:

Really, you'll have to swing into my new crib home slice if you're in the area this week

GreenMonster
06-24-2007, 09:42 PM
That may not have been creative, but you know you were laughin' yo azz off when you read that... well, when your skeezer read it to you -- we all know you can't read.

A week off in the heart of the season? Yeah, you got it real rough. You're as bad as my guys whining for the week of the 4th off.

I might be around this week. I need to buy 4 hemlocks from you beatches. We're finally done with that patio tomorrow..... knock on wood.

D Felix
06-24-2007, 11:07 PM
D Felix:
I'm not referring to the pinning grooves. I'm talking about the very subtle "v" groove that runs the whole length of the block. If you split off the backside, and flip every other block, you can make a double sided straight wall. That was the purpose of the groove.
Again, I know what that groove is for. The grooves I keep referring to may not be in existance with your supplier, but they certainly are with mine.

Had I not lost my camera I'd take a picture of them to show you....

MarcusLndscp
06-25-2007, 06:50 AM
That may not have been creative, but you know you were laughin' yo azz off when you read that... well, when your skeezer read it to you -- we all know you can't read.

A week off in the heart of the season? Yeah, you got it real rough. You're as bad as my guys whining for the week of the 4th off.

I might be around this week. I need to buy 4 hemlocks from you beatches. We're finally done with that patio tomorrow..... knock on wood.

Well, give me a call when you're around....I only have today off for the closing and then we're just moving alittle every day from now through the weekend. A whopping 2.0 miles from our current spread. It's gonna be a tough move:walking:
One hour and 40 minutes until I start signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing and signing...............................................:dizzy:

Captains Landscape
06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Mr. Marcus,
May be an odd request, but if you have any irregular blue stone to lay in the near future, I'd love to see the work in progress?
Chris