PDA

View Full Version : recessed sofit fixture?

Pro-Scapes
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Anyone got any idea on a fixture for recessed mounting if soffits ? Should be black in color per homeowners request and highest of quality.

Hopefully someone has some experience with this.

Eden Lights
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
We have been using the Lightolier 2000LVR and the 2006 trim for years, Joe of Sitelites over on lowvolt.org gave me that tip and they have had a huge impact on our designs.

http://www.lightolier.com/MKACatpdfs/2006.PDF

http://www.lightolier.com/MKACatpdfs/2000LVR.PDF

I will post some application shots when I get to my home pc.

Mike M
06-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Now that's architectural lighting. It's an upside well light. A lot less glare. Talk about separating yourself from the competition.

I suppose you don't need to use the line voltage/transformer.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-15-2007, 07:45 AM
you could also try the versa star from BK lighting or the micro mini series as well if you need something really small...
http://www.bklighting.com/products.php?ID=369
http://www.bklighting.com/products.php?ID=524

Lightscapes
06-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Nightscaping makes a fixture, not coincidentally, called the "soffitliter", which is available in all of their colors. Part number RD-0404.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-15-2007, 09:46 AM
what bulb is nightscaping putting in that fixture now adays?

Lightscapes
06-15-2007, 10:06 AM
LO93 is standard, but Nightscaping will customize sockets/lamps to suit your design requirements.

Eden Lights
07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
We have been using the Lightolier 2000LVR and the 2006 trim for years, Joe of Sitelites over on lowvolt.org gave me that tip and they have had a huge impact on our designs.

Real world application, This was a retrofit job and the steps and columns couldn't be illuminated very easily. You can see the three cans and trims just in front of the cedar beam.

NiteTymeIlluminations
07-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Very nice, very nice

Chris J
07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Eden,
Very nice. Is the supply wire fed from the ground and somehow hidden? Could you give some detail on how you accomplished hiding the supply wire?
I'd like to do more of this type of lighting, but it always seems to be almost impossible to hide the wire, and get it to where it needs to go.

Pro-Scapes
07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Eddie.. Awsome job. I really like that. If you have time can you walk us thru the procedure for this ? I am looking for 3 of thoes for our own home and that would be the perfect place to try this out.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
When retro-fitting soffit mounted recessed fixtures onto homes I use Contrast Lighting product. They make available a line of 'cans' that come without a traditional housing but include a MR16 socket. You then order the trim of your choice (Contrast have the best, deep regressed, low profile pot light trims on the market, bar none). Have fun retro-fitting the wire on some homes.... on others its a breeze.

Enjoy!

Pro-Scapes
07-02-2007, 06:19 PM
On a project a friend is working on in Gulfport he will be having the electrician install these and a small electronic trans installed.

I was curious as to how one goes about installing them on a new install as well. I have a couple of places I could add these to porch areas just like Eddie did.

Eden Lights
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Here is another example of an retrofit using the Lightolier can and trim. Picture was taken with an fish eye lens because the lot slopes off so fast. Homeowner consulted with another excellent designer, but their ideas concerning the columns wasn't acceptable to the homeowner. Area under the columns is concrete steps with concrete all around.

Anyone else mounting fixtures on the home in a retrofit???

Pro-Scapes
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
are you actually mounting these or are you having them done by an electrician. Outstanding either way

Eden Lights
07-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I am mounting them. We use a couple of different methods. Sometimes we use standalone transformers (Small acme units) with upb controls which allows seamless operation with other transformers on the ground level. We also install and use hidden wire ways from the ground level transformers up to the soffit and enter the attic in the gap between the roof decking and the facia board. We use many more standard MR16 downlight fixtures in this application than we do the recessed ones being discussed here. When you do this you need to be getting paid and we usually require a lift except for easier installs. In Jan 07 we were doing a install with a 45' four wheel drive lift on a slope in a nasty wind and I asked my partner to get me something from the truck, she said hold on just a mintue, I have your insurance agent on the phone and we are doubling your life insurance. My partner is my wife. I did have fall protection gear on at the time, as always.

Pro-Scapes
07-03-2007, 08:35 AM
thanks... When you use the internal trans ones are thoes generally for converting an existing line voltage one to LV ? Do you happen to have a link for these ?

I appreciate it

Chris J
07-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Eden,
The lights illuminating the very top gable: what kind of light is this? Additionally, won't this be a maintenance nightmare? Do you plan to rent the lift truck everytime one of these lamps burn out? Please share the projected maintenance cost with us. I am very curious about this type of install. I don't mean to pry, but you did post the picture.
Thanks in advance.

Lite4
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Wow Eddie, outstanding Job! I just finished a house today in which I mounted some lights up in the eaves of the house and on the uper chimney. Will try to get some photos after the fourth and post. I did not know you could retrofit some cans. This house would have been a pain. I like the way you did it much better than the way I have it. I am definitly renting a lift next time. My ankles are very sore. Roof pitch was about a 10/12 pitch. A little scary 20 feet up.

Eden Lights
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
thanks... When you use the internal trans ones are thoes generally for converting an existing line voltage one to LV ? Do you happen to have a link for these ?

I appreciate it

We are using interior listed LV transformers with standard wiring methods upgraded some to meet code. Connections in Jboxs, staples, and etc.

Eden Lights
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Eden,
The lights illuminating the very top gable: what kind of light is this? Additionally, won't this be a maintenance nightmare? Do you plan to rent the lift truck everytime one of these lamps burn out? Please share the projected maintenance cost with us. I am very curious about this type of install. I don't mean to pry, but you did post the picture.
Thanks in advance.

Kichler 15384AZT with custom mounts with proper lamp and lenses. I don't always use a lift on maintenance issues, but I always do on this type of install and during aiming and shielding adjustments. The last pic is a lift only job and those babies are yours cradle to grave, so like I said get paid. In all seriousness imagine those fixtures not being there, if I couldn't have installed those fixtures, I would not have taken the job at all. I already have a compromise in this design, any guesses????????? All of our clients are on maintenance contracts and rentals are already figured in. I love doing this type of work along with downlighting of various types, so this is what I really want. http://www.teupenamerica.com/products/leo12g/leo12g-pictures.htm They take forever to get into the states so I worry about repair parts if needed.

Eden Lights
07-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Man!!! I havn't looked at that website in about a year. Check that baby out going through that gate and then all stretched out, I will be up all night thinking about that thing. Who started this, I had better go take a cold shower.

Pro-Scapes
07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
. I already have a compromise in this design, any guesses????????? .

Guesses would be... no path lights... and perhaps the large trees off to the left could of use a highlight...

Now I gotta know.. where is your comprimise ?

Chris J
07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the reply.
My guess would be the shadows created by the eve overhangs on the very left side of the home on the gable end. Correct or no?

Mike M
07-04-2007, 08:23 AM
At first I thought the glare from the three path lights, but for some reason I really like those three lights, they are clean and form a nice base for the architectural triangles above.

I'm just a beginner, so my response is from my gut.

Mike M

NightLightingFX
07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
This thread is evolving into a topic I have been struggling with – installing fixtures in high and hard to get to places. First of all Eden Lights I have been a huge admirer of your work. In the past I have seen some of your work on lowvolt.org all of your work is very impressive.
Do a lot of you guys use lifts? And when it comes to trees how high will you go in installing fixtures and how do you do it. Do you use climbing gear? I know one guy who works with an arborist when it come to lighting in trees.
I am no arborist and I don’t have any rock climbing experience, but I have a big ol’ tree I am trying to light, and in order to make this an elite masterpiece I need to go up about 40 ft. I bought a spikeless tree climbing kit from Wespur. It is pretty neat technology but you still need to know what you are doing – I don’t. I was playing around with this gear preparing to go up to my install site on the tree. I couldn’t get my prusik stopper knot loose with my figure 8. Anyway I got stuck hanging from a rope about 30 ft up. The owner of the tree/friend talked me in to letting him call the fire dept. – it was just right down the street. It was supposed to be no big deal. The next thing I know there are a bunch of cameras all around. A TV crew wanted to interview me. I declined – I was too embarrassed. I probably should have I could have gotten some press. But my picture was in the newspaper the next day. This happened last Thursday. People are still razzing me about it. This project is a good learning experience. I will master the climbing gear one way or another. I hope the tree turns out to be as impressive as I envisioned. When I am done I will try to get some pictures out.
~Ned

NightScenes
07-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Hello NightLightingFX, good to see you on here. I don't use lifts very often because of maintenance. I do use a 32' extension ladder though. If I can't get there with that, I don't do it. You should be able to get just as good of an effect from 32' as from 40'. It might mean that you have to use a lens or filter though.

David Gretzmier
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm a buddy with the local code enforcement/construction inspector guy- I asked him if this type of installation requires a permit or a master electricians license. funny thing is, he had to check with his boss. If you mount a fixture on a home, here anyway, their opinion is you need to be a master electrician, low voltage or not. Hanging a transformer is legal as long as not hardwired. lights on the ground, and in trees are ok for landscape guys.

pulling a permit for jobs over $5000 of this type is also required ( cutting into home -by master electrician) , and any job over 20,000 must have a mechanical contractors license from state.

apparently when you cut into the home, you are crossing some sort of dwelling barrier that is supposed to kick in the code guys.

Is soffit lighting ok for code where you guys are at- Cause it sure looks good.

dave g

NightLightingFX
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
David, that is a great point. I have a project I have been working on for the past 4 months on a custom home that is being built. The great thing is the owner is doing basically any thing I say. (except under soffit lighting – I got involved in the planning too late) However, I am doing some directional lighting on the roof to light up gables and some down lighting for a patio. In the process of this project, I found out that direct burial landscape wire will not pass code in my area - when it comes to running wire through or attached to the structure of the home. And yes one needs a permit to pull low voltage wire/systems in a house. I used 12 gauge speaker wire, and had a low voltage systems contractor who had all the proper certification install the wire. I think the issue with the wire is that both strands of insulated wire need to be enclosed in a jacket together, not to mention the approval/acceptance of the inspector and what they are familiar with seeing.
~Ned

Eden Lights
07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
The compromise was the request for the three marker/bollard style fixtures that introduce glare. The driveway had been a issue on the bollard side, people would drive into that bed because on the other side of the drive was a sheer drop off. We found the shortest units possible and dropped the voltage down on them, all in all they were happy and so was I.

Just to let you I still don't like them.

Mike M
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
We found the shortest units possible and dropped the voltage down on them, all in all they were happy and so was I.

Just to let you I still don't like them.

I win an Eden Lights baseball cap.

You are so good, you can make functional glares look seemless with your project.

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Eddie... lets bring this back up... I am going to be installing a project very similar to this. It looks like you have 35w bulbs in there ? 12 degree ???

has anyone had really good luck with this from another standpoint ? Also which trim rings do you find are best in this applications ? I was leaning on the wash rings.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
If you are talking about true soffit mounted pot lights, then I can only recommend one.

Look at Contrast Lighting's T3450D-11-11 /Sm/MG trim ring inside a REM3000L Can. These are the only marine grade trims on the market (they will not rust, 5 yr guarantee) and they are truly recessed in that the lamp is not flush with the face of the trim or soffit, so you dont have any glare. The can spec. is remotely powered, so no need for line voltage work to the fixture.

Contrast make some of the best recessed fixture trims in the biz. I use them all the time.

Have a great day

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks James... I been looking at the lightolier. I see Contrast is a canuck company... are they UL listed for use in the states ? Do you have some pics of them installed on some massive pillars ? I emailed you some pics

I was almost hoping to find a line voltage application that would achieve the same effects.

Landscape Illuminating
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Billy, I'm sure they offer the same same exact fixture with the transformer built in, therefore becoming a line voltage unit. I'm not familiar with Contrast lighting however. There are many companies offering 4" and 3" low voltage remodelers. You can look into Juno lighting, WAC lighting, and Halo to name a few along with Lightolier like stated before.

James, any idea how Contrast compares pricewise to these companies? The Cooper Iris line is about as high end as it seems to get here with the three piece modular setup. It's pretty slick but very pricey.

-Chad

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I can get the lightolier locally. Seems comparative in cost to a nice brass light when you factor in the trim ring and such. Its the installation that raises the price on these.

Meeting with the electrician next week to make sure we can get in there then we will go from there. If we can acsess the area I will probably fish a wire up the inside of the pillars and mount a white bullet type light at the top.

I am more than likley going to be installing 4 bk lights at the bases of these pillars for the othersides of these pillars at the clients request. Going to meet again tmrw night.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
thanks James... I been looking at the lightolier. I see Contrast is a canuck company... are they UL listed for use in the states ? Do you have some pics of them installed on some massive pillars ? I emailed you some pics

I was almost hoping to find a line voltage application that would achieve the same effects.

There is NO comparison between the Lightolier and the Contrast lines. I would really recommend you do not go there.... The trims will rust over time, they don't fit as nicely into the soffits, and unless you are using a stepped baffle trim with no aiming ability, the lamps will be flush, causing lots of glare.

Trust me on this one guys....

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Billy, I'm sure they offer the same same exact fixture with the transformer built in, therefore becoming a line voltage unit. I'm not familiar with Contrast lighting however. There are many companies offering 4" and 3" low voltage remodelers. You can look into Juno lighting, WAC lighting, and Halo to name a few along with Lightolier like stated before.

James, any idea how Contrast compares pricewise to these companies? The Cooper Iris line is about as high end as it seems to get here with the three piece modular setup. It's pretty slick but very pricey.

-Chad

Of course the Contrast comes in a magnetic or electronic transformer, as an IC housing or retrofit. (IT3000LM is the retrofit mag. unit). The beauty here is their trim line... Stay away from the cheaper 2000 series as these are the same as every other pot light out there. Like I said, the Contrast 3000 series trims are awesome.

As for price, the Contrast line is similarly priced to Halo, Juno, Lightolier. No point putting it up against Cooper Iris, as these are in different categories all together. Not sure IRIS even makes a LV retrofit recessed fixture line.

Have a great day.

Landscape Illuminating
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
James,

Here's the Iris remodeler, should you ever need it. It is very slick to install. You do get what you pay for. The Juno TC43R is very similar with the difference being two piece modular vs. three piece modular in the Iris. I'll have to look into this Contrast 3000 line.

Iris RPN3MR (http://www.iris-lighting.com/common/brands.cfm?pg=Detail&brand=Iris&category=3%22%20Platforms&id=12797)

-Chad

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
James... did you get my email with the photos attached ?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 08:25 PM
James,

Here's the Iris remodeler, should you ever need it. It is very slick to install. You do get what you pay for. The Juno TC43R is very similar with the difference being two piece modular vs. three piece modular in the Iris. I'll have to look into this Contrast 3000 line.

Iris RPN3MR (http://www.iris-lighting.com/common/brands.cfm?pg=Detail&brand=Iris&category=3%22%20Platforms&id=12797)

-Chad

I checked out the IRIS link you provided.... They certainly have their place for spec, grade interior applications, but for 'everyday' use I think the Contrast Trim lines are the best in the business... Contrast just have SO many options available for beam and glare control... and the best metallic finishes in the biz.

Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 08:29 PM
James... did you get my email with the photos attached ?

Yep I did Billy, just sent you my reply...

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks... i contacted my semi local contrast rep in Jackson MS and will check price and avalibility... Now to find a lift :) I think I can get a trailer mounted lift to the area with no problem then bulb changes should be able to be accomplished thru a 32 foot ladder.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Billy.... when then tell you there is no such thing as a "Marine Grade" finish, instruct them they are mistaken. Have your rep contact Paul Wybrow in Ontario if they must.

I had Contrast develop a Marine Grade finish application just this past year given all the work I do on boat houses. the code is MG at the end of your trim ring spec. and it adds about $9 to each trim.

Have a great day.

Eden Lights
12-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Eddie... lets bring this back up... I am going to be installing a project very similar to this. It looks like you have 35w bulbs in there ? 12 degree ???

has anyone had really good luck with this from another standpoint ? Also which trim rings do you find are best in this applications ? I was leaning on the wash rings.

Titans in 20W BAB40's

Eden Lights
12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
There is NO comparison between the Lightolier and the Contrast lines.

Maybe?

I would really recommend you do not go there.... The trims will rust over time,

No problems for me, we have some that are 8 years old.

they don't fit as nicely into the soffits, and unless you are using a stepped baffle trim with no aiming ability, the lamps will be flush, causing lots of glare.

Wrong, Wrong & Wrong - You can't get any cleaner line without a floated fixture, The trim that is speced is a slotted pin hole, Adjustment is in the can, not the trim. As glare free as they come.

Trust me on this one guys....

Pro-Scapes
12-04-2007, 07:32 AM
wow my choice is tougher than ever now. Eden do you have the model number of the trim you selected ?

I can get the lightolier locally easy... The local contrast rep no longer represents the line so I am still searching for a source.

Eddie I know you have posted pics before and I love the look of these lights and appreciate everyones time. James do you happen to have an in action pic of the contrasts ?

Eden Lights
12-04-2007, 08:34 AM

2006 is the trim, the 2000LVR is the remodeler version with transformer, many times we remove the trans and use a remote since that is is the only way the remodeler comes. You can get the new construction unit can either way: with or without trans. We can pick them up local when ever needed or online.

Eden Lights
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
http://www.lightolier.com/products/index.jsp?CATREL_ID=20343&BLK=N&CAT_ID=24355

http://www.lightolier.com/products/index.jsp?CATREL_ID=20978&BLK=N&CAT_ID=6776

Pro-Scapes
12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
thanks eddie... This is the application they will be going in. I still have not decided between contrast and lightolier but the lightolier is obtainable locally where the contrast will no doubt have a good lead time from canada. I trust your judgment in this as well as James.

I will try to use the included transformers and have the electrician wire them in with the existing porch lights then control all 8 lights on a single UPB channel. Im running out of UPB channels quickly on this project.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
2006 is the trim, the 2000LVR is the remodeler version with transformer, many times we remove the trans and use a remote since that is is the only way the remodeler comes. You can get the new construction unit can either way: with or without trans. We can pick them up local when ever needed or online.

I have to admit, that rig looks pretty nice and I am sure it would fit and work very well in the application.

Contrast also makes an adjustable slotted apature trim for the 3000 series. The nice thing about Contrast is the myraid of finishes available and their ability and willingness to do custom finishes, marine grade, etc.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
finally put my light o liers in today. Super clean looking and absolute perfect output. You would not beilive the glare control with the keyholes even tho I chose not to run louvers inside. Note the BK shastas ceiling mounted behind them as well to cross light the front entrance. Didnt have time to set up for a perfect pic tonight as we had to get to church but you can clearly see the glare control. Pic was taken freehand no tripod. An no pete there is no hot spots.

Lite4
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Billy, very nice. I like those, who manufactures them? How in the heck did you chase wire for the shastas?
I can't see where I would chase behind that support beam.

Pro-Scapes
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
There is a Jbox in the attic just above the shastas with a short piece of flex conduit leading from the base of the shasta into the jbox. From there it converts to romex and attaches to Electronic transformers mounted in the attic. Its all controlled by a single switch for the existing porch lights. Since there was not enough amperage left we ran a relay so the existing porch lights trip the relay and cut on the 8 new lights.

There is 4 light o liers... 2 bk shastas and 2 surface mounted lights on the pediment area.

The recessed lights are the lightolier 2000lvr cans with the 2006 series trims that Eden recomended (thanks eddie!!!)

Eden Lights
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Outstanding results, I am a big fan of the Lightoliers. When doing maintenance my wife always says man those recessed are out and I get right under them and their OK. Joe (Sitelites) turned me on to them years ago and we love them from install to maintenance.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Outstanding results, I am a big fan of the Lightoliers. When doing maintenance my wife always says man those recessed are out and I get right under them and their OK. Joe (Sitelites) turned me on to them years ago and we love them from install to maintenance.

I decided not to use remote transformers with them like i planned and used the included transformers. There just wasnt a 100% clean way to get inside the attic. I didnt want to see 1 inch of wire on this install. We installed 2 more electronic transformers to drive the Unique probe osms and the shastas. I really liked these mini transformers and need to get about 10 for our remodel job at the house. They are reading 12.1 so a dimmer will be programmed for about 90%

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Billy... did you fit the electronic transformers into the existing J-box in the attic or did you have another one installed for this? You have to be sure to install these in an enclosure to meet code.

I have used a lot of Lightech LET-75 electronics for converting existing coach and carriage lights over to LV. They also come in handy in remote locations like the example you show. Just be sure to do it all to code. When dimming, use the (very expensive) electronic LV dimmers, such as the Lutron Diva DVELV-600P-IV

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
We mounted a large 12x12 jbox to the trusses that contains the transformers and a relay which is tripped by the existing porch lights and that will be getting a UPB. I really wish I had taken the camera in the attic. The install is super clean inside the large jbox. Everything is at code and was wired by my electricians.. I already have the electronic dimmer and it will be going in line after the relay.

There is a jbox at the bk and gable lights and romex is run from there to the 12x12 jboxes with the transformers in them.

The light o liers have line voltage running directly to the fixtures since a transformer is included with the housing. I really have 6 mini transformers up there for 8 lights.

Just FYI the lightoliers will run up to 75w but I could not imagine where you would need that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Most of the LV recessed fixtures on the market make use of 75w magnetic or electronic on-board transformers. I think it is just a case of using the most common transformers available to reduce manufacturing costs. Many will come with a 60w or 75w transformer but are only rated to 35w lamps due to the heat signature.

Keep your eye on that Contrast Lighting product line. I am pushing them pretty hard to come out with a 100% copper trim ring in the near future.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
I preffer my trims to match. if I had a building that had copper accesories on it then maybe but I just assume have the fixture as unnoticeable as possible.

I did look at the contrast fixtures as you recommended before but they were very poor in communicating and reffered me to an agent who no longer delt with the line due to issues with it.

I can obtain lightolier locally and would not hesitate to install them again. I think we will be doing much more downlighting with them.

Just so you guys know there is another open trim ring and the lamps on these are regressed so they would be able to be used for wide angle downlighting as well should you have a need. They are also rather compact as well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Around here, copper is being installed everywhere on the upscale homes. Copper Eaves, Copper Flashing, Copper Soffits, even Copper Clad windows. I even have some clients with full copper roofing!

The copper trims will fit in quite well and not be susceptable to moisture and other issues that seem to attack the use of interior rated pot light trims in exterior applications.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
02-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Around here, copper is being installed everywhere on the upscale homes. Copper Eaves, Copper Flashing, Copper Soffits, even Copper Clad windows. I even have some clients with full copper roofing!

The copper trims will fit in quite well and not be susceptable to moisture and other issues that seem to attack the use of interior rated pot light trims in exterior applications.

Regards.

lightoliers are damp location rated. If i had copper eaves i would of persued a copper fixture to blend in.

I think these have a very very small footprint for my particular application.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Change of plans here. I am going to take out the relay we just put in and mount a upb switch in the attic and another dimmable for the existing porch lights. This will help cut down on the brightness on the front landing to a more dramatic level but still remain inviting.

the client also wants the pediment to be brighter. I hate to go 35w on it but I may need to and frosted or other lens inside.

Lite4
04-14-2009, 09:49 PM
finally put my light o liers in today. Super clean looking and absolute perfect output. You would not beilive the glare control with the keyholes even tho I chose not to run louvers inside. Note the BK shastas ceiling mounted behind them as well to cross light the front entrance. Didnt have time to set up for a perfect pic tonight as we had to get to church but you can clearly see the glare control. Pic was taken freehand no tripod. An no pete there is no hot spots.

Hey Billy,

I need to install some Lightoliers in a few soffits. Which model did you use for a Retrofit application like you did here? What is the recessed depth on these retros? I dont' have a lot of room, the roof pitch is pretty shallow.

Oops, pic didn't show. page 6

Pro-Scapes
04-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Tim. Im on my PDA so I cant look up the specs. 2000 LVR is the model for the frame in housings. This includes actual fixture and the electronic transformer. You can either bypass this and use a remote trans or just run romex and 120 to each fixture which would be a breeze since your with an electrical firm now. the 2000 LVR is non IC The 2000 AICV is the IC housing

The trim rings pictured if I rememeber are the 2006 series trims with the keyhole. The 2005 series If I rememeber are open but regressed. You should also be able to use a standard louver if needed.

Mounting depth ??? Uhmm I think they go in around 6-8 inches but make sure you verify that. I think it depends on teh trim you select. Look at lightolier.com then click products then general downlighting i think.

Im going to PM you my number. We are out of state for a week.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Tim, Contrast makes a retro pot light that needs only 3.5" of depth in the soffit. It is the most shallow fixture on the market.

IT3000CM is the magnetic
IT3000CE is the electronic

You can also get a Remote can & socket REM3000C would be the part number.

Trim of choice for these would be the T3450D-xx-xx-SM

Regards.

Lite4
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Cool, Some soffits I run into have a very shallow roof pitch which doesn't leave a lot of depth in the soffit. I will look again at both products. The contrast would definitely fit, just have to figuire out how big of a pain it would be to get them.

Thanks guys.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Contrast are distributed throughout north america. Go to their website and they will probably have a list is distributors. Most large electrical wholesalers will have access to them.

Kiril
04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Cool, Some soffits I run into have a very shallow roof pitch which doesn't leave a lot of depth in the soffit. I will look again at both products. The contrast would definitely fit, just have to figuire out how big of a pain it would be to get them.

Thanks guys.

Has anyone used foot /step light type fixtures that fit into a standard electrical box in your soffit applications?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2009, 11:01 AM
No, you would not get a focused beam of light coming out of a 'step light' fixture mounted in a soffit. The light you would get out of such a fixture in a such an application would hardly be effective at those heights. The the lourvers would create shadows.

Kiril
04-18-2009, 11:19 AM
No, you would not get a focused beam of light coming out of a 'step light' fixture mounted in a soffit. The light you would get out of such a fixture in a such an application would hardly be effective at those heights. The the lourvers would create shadows.

What about for just a general low level diffuse light, no focusing needed? Also instead of louvers, use glass.

Lite4
04-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Has anyone used foot /step light type fixtures that fit into a standard electrical box in your soffit applications?

I am looking at these recessed fixtures for the express purpose of trying to "clean up" my installs. I hate looking at bullet lights or wall wash lights hanging from eaves. Just lookes unprofessional to me and I won't do it anymore.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-18-2009, 04:35 PM
What about for just a general low level diffuse light, no focusing needed? Also instead of louvers, use glass.

The problem with using a flat glass step light fixture in the soffit would be glare. The glass, even if frosted would be so much brighter than the surrounding area that it would draw your eye up to the source.

Whenever I encounter soffit mounted pot lights, I generally re-trim them with a trim that recesses the lamp off the surface of the soffit to reduce the glare they produce.