PDA

View Full Version : Snap edge restraint problems

zedosix
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Has anyone had the chance to use the new "improved" snap edge yet. I bought a couple of bundles a few weeks ago and am not impressed at all. The quality of this product has gone downhill bigtime. Less thickness on the restraint side, I'd say 30% less. They have now gone to recycled material making the whole thing less sturdy. I am pissed at that, cause we used it to mark out our curves and now its too flimsy for that. Even the installation side of it is horrible. It bends and doesn't stay tight to the brick. Especially when the base is compacted with a diesel vibratory plate. I emailed the co. and got no answer, didn't expect to actually. I have been using this product for probably 8 to 10 yrs now and refuse to buy it again. What are some of you guys using and are you happy with it.

ChampionLS
06-15-2007, 03:51 AM
There are A LOT of products out on the market "just because" they can be marketed. They may not always be beneficial or make your life easier. Snap edge is really a plastic injection molding company. They don't have any experience in the paver field. Plastic is made from Petroleum, and we all know how expensive gas has been. They are tightening the belt on resources and producing a cheaper product. We used a plastic edge restraint years ago, that looked like a dinosaur's spine. it was a double edge, edge restraint. Still to this day, I have no idea why anyone would design such a useless piece of junk. With a double edge, 1/2 was tucked under your soldier course, and the other 1/2 towards the lawn. The soldier course was pitched slightly inward and water would never drain off correctly. The pavers were always dirty from sediment not draining. Also, there were no spike holes, only slots to use a flat, stamped steel staple. How do you hammer a flat spike into compacted base without it moving and/or bending? We devised our own method of using 3/8 rebar, 12" spikes and mortar. Our cost per lineal foot was 1/4 of the plastic. Just can't use too much, or growing grass next to the soldier course can be an issue.

DVS Hardscaper
06-15-2007, 07:40 AM
we have always been a long time Snap Edge user.

What I really like about it is we can use it to trace out ANY curve prior to cutting pavers.

But, we changed suppliers and the supplier at the moment does not carry SNAP Edge.

However, they told me that when their current inventory of Beast runs out - they WILL be carrin Snap Edge.

I was excited to hear this.

BUT, if what Zedo is saying, then I may not be so happy :confused:

I hope Zedo doesnt know what he is talkin about, as maybe he isn't 'EdgeRestaint Certified', as I'm sure Chris is :dancing:

zedosix
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry DVS, not certified in that area.:)

One thing I did forget to mention is that at least I have a use now for my dull snips. The older stuff was so hard you needed sharp snips to cut it. Now I'm sure with a good razor blade you could cut it.

WILL PEOPLE STOP MAKING JUNK PLEASE I AM SO SICK OF EVERYONE CUTTING BACK AND USING THE FREAKIN ENVIRONMENT AS THE REASON FOR IT. THEIR EFFORTS TO REDUCE OVERHEAD HAVE NOT GONE UN-NOTICED!

I feel better now. Have a good day guys.

John Zaprala
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
There are A LOT of products out on the market "just because" they can be marketed. They may not always be beneficial or make your life easier. Snap edge is really a plastic injection molding company. They don't have any experience in the paver field. Plastic is made from Petroleum, and we all know how expensive gas has been. They are tightening the belt on resources and producing a cheaper product. We used a plastic edge restraint years ago, that looked like a dinosaur's spine. it was a double edge, edge restraint. Still to this day, I have no idea why anyone would design such a useless piece of junk. With a double edge, 1/2 was tucked under your soldier course, and the other 1/2 towards the lawn. The soldier course was pitched slightly inward and water would never drain off correctly. The pavers were always dirty from sediment not draining. Also, there were no spike holes, only slots to use a flat, stamped steel staple. How do you hammer a flat spike into compacted base without it moving and/or bending? We devised our own method of using 3/8 rebar, 12" spikes and mortar. Our cost per lineal foot was 1/4 of the plastic. Just can't use too much, or growing grass next to the soldier course can be an issue.

HAHA, I remember that edging. I was stratching my head thinking: " Am I supposed to lay this edging down before screeding sand?" I thought I was an idiot, but it like you said these companies are in the plastic biz, not the paver biz. Those flat holes made the edging split of made the soldier course roll.

Total Landscape Solutions
06-15-2007, 11:08 PM
No problems with the new stuff here. I did notice a little less rigidity, but not to the extent I'd stop buying the product.

Let me know what you think when you get it DVS.

zedosix
06-16-2007, 12:31 AM
No problems with the new stuff here. I did notice a little less rigidity, but not to the extent I'd stop buying the product.

I just purchased 10 bundles of last years stock. It will be the last time I buy it.

dchauling
06-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Zedo is it the new edging that only uses one spike on the joints? I have found problems with it staying tight to the brick. I have to jack the one end with some extra base to keep it tight. Jsut like some othe cheap sh1t that I have used before. Call the number at snapeedge.ca I have spoke to them before.

zedosix
06-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Zedo is it the new edging that only uses one spike on the joints? I have found problems with it staying tight to the brick. I have to jack the one end with some extra base to keep it tight. Jsut like some othe cheap sh1t that I have used before. Call the number at snapeedge.ca I have spoke to them before.

Ya, thats the one, it does have a nice locking system but what good is it when the rest of it is flimsy. They must think we are stupid and wouldn't notice. I will find something else to use. I have emailed them with no response and personally if they don't care to respond its their problem. They have no idea how much imput we as consumers have.

McKeeLand
06-16-2007, 06:45 PM
our one supplier carries dimex http://www.edgepro.com/PaverRestraint/EdgeProPR.aspx
i prefer this over snap edge and the beast. comes in straight and raduis which is nice.

andrewcarrigan
06-17-2007, 01:20 PM
:canadaflag: :canadaflag:

andrewcarrigan
06-17-2007, 01:23 PM
what are you paying for snap edgeing were paying bout 325.00 a bundle in alberta

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Has anyone used Bric-edge? This will be my first job using it and I'm curious of the quality. It cost $20 for a 15 ft stick.

zedosix
06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
what are you paying for snap edgeing were paying bout 325.00 a bundle in alberta

254 a bundle plus tax. Its crap now. Its not worth 1/2 that money.

mfuss
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I am the President of Snap Edge and have been following this thread. Zedosix, please e-mail your phone number to me at mfuss@snapedgeusa.com. I will call you directly to respond to your concerns and questions. I also invite any others reading this to contact me directly if you'd like. We do care about your business and are willing to address your issues.

To set the record straight:
• The thickness of the back wall was reduced by 1/32" in 2007 when a new mold was cut. It does not affect the strength and durability of the product and the back wall is still as thick as or thicker than other plastic edge restraint products on the market. At the same time, the piece to piece connector was improved considerably. The new connector is easier to use, more secure, requires only one spike, and is a lap joint connection. Bedding sand cannot escape at the intersection of two pieces.
• Snap Edge is - and has always been - manufactured using 100% recycled high density polyethylene.
• While our products are made with injection molded plastic, the owner and founder of the company owned and ran several paver manufacturing companies prior to starting Snap Edge. Several others of us have long time experience working for paver manufacturers. Snap Edge was developed specifically as a paver edge restraint as a better solution to a troweled-in-place concrete toe.

Many contractors still use a troweled in place concrete toe edge restraint. Snap Edge paver restraint is exponentially faster to install (time = $), neater, more secure, and requires no clean up. The open bottom design means that grass will grow right up to the edge of the pavement. Furthermore, according to the ICPI, "Troweled concrete edges are not recommended in freezing climates as they may crack and be an ongoing maintenance problem." (ICPI TECH SPEC NUMBER · 3: Edge Restraints For Interlocking Concrete Pavements)

Snap Edge is the premier paver edge restraint in the industry and sets the standard for similar products. If you are using our products, thanks for your business. If you are not, we invite you to give us a try.

zedosix
06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=

Snap Edge is the premier paver edge restraint in the industry and sets the standard for similar products. If you are using our products, thanks for your business. If you are not, we invite you to give us a try.[/QUOTE]

I sent you my # and await your call.

Andy

06-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Well this thread just got a whole lot more interesting.

I hope you both are willing to share the details of your conversation, so both sides are heard from again.

Personally, I stand with my previous post.

zedosix
06-20-2007, 09:29 PM

A little less rigidity for sure, maybe "alot" less rigidity.

07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
So, whatever happened with the phone call?

zedosix
07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
So, whatever happened with the phone call?

It was made and basically I told him my concerns, which he didn't necessarily agree with. My old stock runs out after this month and after that I'm open to suggestions.
Everyone I've talked with agrees with me, but no one cares enough to make that phone call and voice there concerns or opinions.

The back wall thickness has been reduced by 1/16" or a reduction of 25%. Its flimsy as heck compared to what it once was and it doesn't hold well at all to the back edge of the brick like the older stock.

Who really cares?