PDA

View Full Version : Please Help with New Commercial Mower

tresmer
06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

Been lurking forever here, trying to gather info, now time for my first post. I am getting ready to purchase a commercial grade ZTR. I have demo'd the Scag Tiger Cub with the 19hp Kaw KAI engine and a 48" deck. I was impressed however I must admit other than reading threads from all you Pro's I'm clueless on what I should get for my needs.

I live in East Texas near Tyler, Texas to be exact. I have about 2 acres of mainly coastal and bahia grass mixed with some weeds and LOTS of sand and darn gopher holes.

My concern or question is, will the Scag Tiger Cub be able to handle this rougher terrain? My yard or what I mow isn't by any means a lush saint augustine yard lol. Its basically 2-3 acres of what I said above that I try and keep mowed, plus my next door neighbor has the same terrain with about 3 acres he wants to pay me to mow which I have no problems doing. I've been using a old Wood's 1850 18hp briggs I bought used 2 years ago to do this and its been doing GREAT, however the unit now has 2100 hrs on it and its starting to use oil pretty bad.

Any advice on the Scag or other ZTR is welcomed, however my budget is around 6800. Local dealer gave me a quote on the Scag I demo'd as mentioned above for 6500.00 drive out.

Thanks
Ryan

delphied
06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
If Skag cant handle rough then no Zturn will. Skag is considered the toughest.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Take it from me.... if the ground your going to be mowing is rough and bumpy and so on, FORGET a sit down rider of any type. It sucks being bounced around on a rider on rough yards. It is not a matter of will or can the mower handle it, it is a matter of operator comfort 0r total lack of...

Get a stander or a large walkbehind with a velkie if you got rough yards, you can soak up the bumps with your knees and the ride will be much smoother on your body by the end of the day

smcunningham
06-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Listen to what ron said...(post above this one)

Stinchcomb Lawn
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Look at the John Deere 717A 19 HP Kawi 48 in deck. I paid $6,100 and would buy 10 more if i needed them.

JTF40
06-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Take it from me.... if the ground your going to be mowing is rough and bumpy and so on, FORGET a sit down rider of any type. It sucks being bounced around on a rider on rough yards. It is not a matter of will or can the mower handle it, it is a matter of operator comfort 0r total lack of...

Get a stander or a large walkbehind with a velkie if you got rough yards, you can soak up the bumps with your knees and the ride will be much smoother on your body by the end of the day

Have you ever heard of - let's say - FERRIS?

Rides like a Lexus LS450. A very smooth machine w/independent suspension. :usflag:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I have heard of them, and seen them, but still suspect that the ride is rough on rough ground. It has to be... If it really rode like a lexus, the deck would not be able to give a even cut unless the decks anti scalp wheels were in adjustments to leave them on the ground at all times.

I have been cutting grass long enough, and with both stand ups and sit downs to know that any sit down will be punishment on the operators body in no time flat compared to a stand up.

bsalter5
06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
What about a Wright Sentar or Stander?

bes

jkingrph
06-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm just down the road from you, in Jacksonville and use a Scag Wildcat 52" on my smaller place, just under two acres. It is not the smoothest, was a pasture at one time, now a mix of St Augustine, Bermuda, and Bahia. The Scag cuts better and faster than anything I have used previously, which has not included any other brand of ZTR. I chose the Scag because it looked like the best unit available here. I did look in Tyler and many more are available there and looked good, but did not care to have to haul it up there for service if needed.

ed2hess
06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
The Scag will be just fine and look into getting the new high tech seat..not sure it comes on Cub but it might. If it is rough you need a mower that will stand up to the rough conditions....that is definitely Scag.