PDA

View Full Version : World of difference

smcunningham
06-14-2007, 10:43 PM
The rpm's on my turf tiger were set @ 3100. BIG BIG miss-communication error between me and my dealer I told him I wanted it set @ 3600 he thought I said 3100..and then he told me that was to low and he would recommend nothing higher than 3700......end of conversation...two and half months go by and everyday I'm like man my TT is gotta have been losing power....or something is wrong....so get my handy dandy gps and check my ground speed 8 mph......I'm like wtf. last year she zipps along @ 12mph....
So I stop by my dealer and i tell him something is wrong and tell him about my ground speed he goes i told you your rpm's are to low and he told me what he set them at. We talked about the mis-comm problem and he re-set the rpm's to 3600...It just blows my mind that up untill yesterday i've been mowing @ 3100 rpm.....
Anyway my TT is back up to par and runs better than ever feels like i got a 50hp motor now...I can only image what the difference in my tip speed was....and can i tell a h*ll of a difference in cut quality...:cool2:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I messed with the governer on my Wildcat and tweeked it for more RPMs months ago. The last time I was at the dealer, I used the mechanics RPM reader to see what she was turning and I had gone too far with the governer, the engine was running over 3900 rpms!!! It really cuts great at that speed, but I know it isn't good for it long term.

I left it set at the too high rpm level and I just back off the throttle a hair to keep it at or around 3500-3600 rpms. Now if I run into some thick grass, or need a extra boost of power I can advance the throttle to the stop and it is like hitting turbo boost!!!

smcunningham
06-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Ron I was thinking of doing the same thing but I want to get an rpm that i can mount on my machine so i know what the rpm's are at all times by glancing at it

causalitist
06-15-2007, 02:26 AM
"tiny-tach" meters are nice.

dhardin53
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Tiny-tachs are well worth the money.

Daneman
06-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I set my machines RPM's at 3750 no load, then with the 3% drop, should run at 3600 w/ load.

And I have one of those Sendec hour meters plus tach, and instead of mounting it(already has an hour meter), I hooked an alligator clip, so I can cehck the RPMS of my machines using it as a hand held.

topsites
06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I left it set at the too high rpm level and I just back off the throttle a hair to keep it at or around 3500-3600 rpms. Now if I run into some thick grass, or need a extra boost of power I can advance the throttle to the stop and it is like hitting turbo boost!!!

Yeah that's what happened to my new Kohler, I broke the governor during break in and she'll fly away, I re-adjusted the throttle to where it doesn't quite go to where it sounds like she'll fly apart.

But I left it too high, and like yourself keep that option open, it's nice to have that extra power when you need it.
As for the rpm's, I go by the sound and feel of things, my other machine is normal so it helps keep my ear tuned.
That, and I marked a spot on the throttle down below where it hooks up, a little red mark on that tells me where it should be for normal.