PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Ditch Question

wooley99
06-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I got my first commercial contract this week and the properties include a couple ditches (pics below). Since I've never mowed anything that wasn't flat as a pancake and I don't want to end up under something at the bottom of the ditch, I have a truly newbie question. Do you just line trim the whole thing?

Thanks...

XterraJohn
06-14-2007, 10:58 PM
It might just be the pictures, but that ditch doesn't look too deep for a mower that you don't sit on. I would probably just use a small walk-behind or even a 21" to mow most of it, and then just use the string trimmer around the culverts. Riding mowers might not be safe due to the risk of the mower tipping over onto the operator.

corey4671
06-14-2007, 10:58 PM
21" WB... too much to line trim in FLA humidity!!

ke5hbd
06-15-2007, 01:57 AM
The road side of the ditch doesnt look bad but look at the parking lot side next to the culvert where its starting to wash away next to the culvert at the top of the ditch line.

I would mow it with a walker or push mower.

Doesnt look very big but I would pick the trash out of it before putting any equioment into it.

echeandia
06-16-2007, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use my WB on it. I have also seen many guys use riders on slopes like these. If I had a rider I would probably use it as well.

ed2hess
06-16-2007, 04:24 PM
That ditch is nothing.....any 48" or bigger will do just fine. the only consideration on long ditches is that if you are low on oil and the pick up side for the oil pump is on the low side the unit can run low on oil. Had that happen on a 15hp Kohler on a 36" WB...the ditch was much steeper than the one you show. I heard the valves and immediately changed direction and the valves settled down.