PDA

View Full Version : Is this the way you boys have your blades set up?

Vikings
06-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm thinking I should do something different. I don't like all the spacers at the bottom like that, also I think the blade is too high in the deck. The deck itself is basically perfect in height but it scalps. Not the blades, they don't scalp, but the deck scalps. It also gets hung up on the trailer.

I know a longer ramp might do the job or some 2x8 screwed into the trailer floor. I'll actually probably do that but is there a better way to have your machine adjusted? This is a 36" toro T bar gear.
The blades cut the grass at about 3" and I don't want it any higher then that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/spacers001.jpg

smcunningham
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure about your machine but on my scag w/b i can adjust the deck @ the point where it meets the engine platform by the means of six bolts three on each side and I can adjust @ the casters by switching the spacers around

Runner
06-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Boy,...It doesn't really look that high in the deck, but the bolt or nut hanging down that low throws me. It seems like that would leave marks in the grass.

Vikings
06-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I would say it's about half way up the deck, and toro can also be adjusted at the back axle (takes me half an hour :() and at the front castor wheels.

When I first got it a couple weeks ago the blade was dead even with the bottom of the deck. But I was scalping with the blade a lot so I raised the blade inside the deck with those spacers, or rather taking those spacers and putting them on the bottom of the blade, and I fiddled a little with the exle and castors.

I got the height right but I don't like the set up but I'm not scalping with the blade anymore.. it was pretty brutal my first few days lol.

acm8705
06-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Could you just get a shorter bolt? Then get rid of the spacers.

Vikings
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Could you just get a shorter bolt? Then get rid of the spacers.

I was thinking of just putting the spacers away somewhere (but I didn't know you could actually do that) and hope I don't lose them. AT the top of the deck there are hole in the housing so, in theory you could have the bolts sticking out the top of the deck though I don't think they would.

I should get rid of those spacers or at least some of them.

Maybe if I drop the blade down one spacer, got rid of the extras then raised the axle and the castors both one hole and one spacer respectively. That might be a slight improvement.

Grits
06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
The spacers don't go there. They should go below the blade bolt nut on the top side of the deck.

Vikings
06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
The spacers don't go there. They should go below the blade bolt nut on the top side of the deck.

ahh...:dizzy: You mean they don't adjust like the castor wheels?

If so, CRAP! this is very embarrassing.:laugh:

acm8705
06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Grits is right. After taking a second look at your pic they should be on top of the spindle.

ncls
06-14-2007, 11:41 PM
they can also be under the spindle, but aboved the blade. The blade should be the lowest point.

Bolt, blade, then the spacers.

Bama Mower
06-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Boy,...It doesn't really look that high in the deck, but the bolt or nut hanging down that low throws me. It seems like that would leave marks in the grass.

Yup i agree with you, thats kinda odd isnt it???

Grits
06-15-2007, 12:44 AM
ahh...:dizzy: You mean they don't adjust like the castor wheels?

If so, CRAP! this is very embarrassing.:laugh:

Don't be embarassed. How do you think I knew? I did it too when I first got a WB. You adjust the height of the blade with the spacers and the ones left over go on top under the nut.

SSS 18734
06-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Drop the blade. Raise the deck to compensate. Voila. No more scalping.

causalitist
06-15-2007, 02:07 AM
these guys are right.

ive been playing with this alot on my turbo force, for me three spacers under the deck (but above the blade, making the blade lower) is perfect. then the one extra on top of the spindle for storage.

4 spacers and it scalped wayy to bad... 2 spacers and it cut like poo, left uncut grass here and there. ... 3 is perfect, no scraglers at all even in thick grass and its easy enough to avoid scalping. but wheels are set as high as possible so that helps.

fiveoboy01
06-15-2007, 02:14 AM
Yep, that's what I was going to ask if the blade bolt goes all the way through the spindle. If so, then Grits found your problem.

Must be the red cape.