PDA

View Full Version : .39 Cents for Safety

TN Property Services
06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey guys, wanting some opinions here:

A major gas can company that I will hold the name on (although most of you can figure it out, b/c they are ventless) has the option of installing a .39 cent piece on their cans to reduce the risk of fire and/or BLEVE from overpressuring in the can. I know that .39 times billions of cans is lots of money, but car seat, tool, vehicle, and other manufacturers are required to include certain safety devices, then why should this compmany be excluded. Now I know some of you will say, "why should this company be held liable for others' actions;" but try to think of this from a safety standpoint and not personal feelings or influence.

The main question is: Should they be required to install this piece of equipment on every can they sell?

Thanks in advance,

lawnMaster5000
06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
i have seen those cans so full of pressure they were round not square.

That scares me, I have always been scared of those super pressurized cans. One spark and it makes a bomb.

pclawncare
06-15-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree just yesterday i bumped the cap on my trailer as i was pulling it out of the box and shot the little yellow cap over the entire truck a long bed extended cab truck from the thoung of the trailer now thats some pressure. I hate these cans i have some old ones that still have the vents and i try to use them as much as i can

Gimp
06-15-2007, 12:52 AM
What is the best gas can anyway?

TN Property Services
06-15-2007, 09:39 AM
What is the best gas can anyway?

My opinion the best are the Type I Safety Cans Northern Tool sells. They are metal and have all of the venting safety precautions in place. Direct safety and some other safety supply companies sell them. A little pricey though, I think the 5gal one is upwards of 45-50 bucks. They also make 1 gallon cans for small engine use.

Clapper&Company
06-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree, the ventless cans are no good, I have seen the caps shoot off like was said above.

I had a buddy that had one of these cans catch on fire, and it was crazy.

Grits
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I agree, I hate these cans. Aren't they supposed to be the new and safer gas can? Personall, they kind of scare me when they blow up lke a balloon. I don't see how they are allowed to sell them. What ever happened to the good gas cans? The older ones are way better and safer.

Bigray
06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
yes, that should be a fed. mandated safety thingy. imo